Hilux power steering upgrade

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Hilux power steering upgrade

Postby Petemcc » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:08 am

Hi all,

When off road my trucks power steering struggles while going slow with the big wheels and locked front diff all crossed up etc.

You often have to really swing on the wheel and the pump gets quite loud as I assume its getting to bypass pressure.

I have replaced the pump and steering box which were both leaking and the new ones perform the same.

Have others had this issue? What upgrades have people done? Can you up the pressure relief? I assume an oil cooler is probably a good idea as well?

FYI for those who don't know I am running a surf steering box with crossover steer.

Cheers,
Pete

Lchundy
Hard Yaka

Re: Hilux power steering upgrade

Postby Lchundy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:40 pm

Yeah I have sane issue with front diff locked and 37s on my cruiser
Unlocking front diff works for me have looked into upgrading to hydro assit but requires re certification and dollars which I'm not that keen on.

bigstu
Hard Yaka

Postby bigstu » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:18 pm

Is there a restrictor in the pump? I remember seeing a wee disc in a pump with a hole in it think was on my 5mge surf, think i pulled it out as my old 3y pump didnt have the restrictor

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:45 pm

Yea auto locker in the front is a pain but would rather have it than not have it and can't afford a selectable at this stage.

Often the issue is at idle when trying to make a 20 point turn haha. Anybody thought of putting a smaller pulley on the pump to get some more revs?

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:40 am

Have a look on my page bro. I've just installed hydro assist on my 60 series. Mean is all I can say. I can turn lock to lock at an idle with the palm of my hand :D

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:35 am

Yea I saw that. Looks mint but would need certed again I suppose! Not so keen to go down that track.

How easy would it be to connect it for off road only and disconnect on road?

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:39 am

Be easy. Just get some caps to plug the steering box. Remove ram and hoses and replace with a dampener :wink:

Return to “Toyota”