2000+ Hilux

dvk-kp
Hard Yaka

2000+ Hilux

Postby dvk-kp » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:26 pm

Hey,

Looking at getting rid of my 05 Hilux diesel and replacing it with the previous model v6 or 2.7 petrol.

The model code is either vzn167 or rzn167 correct?

Is an extra cab v6 an option or just double cab?

Any big pros or cons with these? Things to pay attention to when buying?

Also what about mods? Lift or long travel suspension, bigger wheels etc, are these all straight forward?

Can I make a bullbar for it or it that a no go with airbags? Some dont have airbags I think but I’d like an SR5 one.

Thanks for your input.

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Re: 2000+ Hilux

Postby Mehrts » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:59 pm

Hi,

I owned a 2000 double cab 2.7L SR5 Hilux (RZN169) between 2009-2013. It didn't have airbags, so I'm unsure when they started having them fitted, maybe around 2002 with a facelift.

Due to the torsion bar style independent front suspension, travel is quite limited & it's more difficult to "tune" the suspension with regard to spring rate etc, which is easier on the coil struts of the '05 onward models. Leaf packs, well they're standard old things.

Fuel economy wasn't bad. I was running 30x9.5R15 Buckshot mudders on the original chrome steel rims and I'd drive from Blenheim to Timaru (roughly 500km) on 50L of 98 octane. Once the 33's went on, that was a slightly different story haha, but that could have been improved if I changed the diff gearing to suit the larger rubber.

The 2.7 3RZ engine is quite torqey in the lower rev range, which makes it great for off-roading. It's a solid engine with a timing chain, so no worries there. It doesn't rev too high, and can run out of puff from 4500RPM. The engine electrics are reasonably watertight, and I never had issues with the ignition stuttering when driving through bonnet deep water. Snorkels can be a little harder to obtain due to the airbox being on the opposite side to the diesels.

Overall, they're a reasonably decent ute, and with the slightly older models, there are less electrical systems to go wrong really. But with an almost 20 year old vehicle, general maintenance will be essential to keep them running sweet. I wouldn't have any issues owning another petrol model, although I can't speak of the 3.5L V6 units.

Cheers.
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

dvk-kp
Hard Yaka

Re: 2000+ Hilux

Postby dvk-kp » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:27 pm

Appreciate your reply, very helpful, thanks.

I didn’t realise they were torsion bar front, just assumed they were struts like a 185 surf. Good food for thought as I like the way my current hilux drives on road (and it’s got half a million kays on it!)

Anyone have any experience with the v6?

Return to “Toyota”