AUTO BOX FROM 94 V6 SURF,WHERES THE REST OF IT?!

CORROLUX
Driver/Navigator

AUTO BOX FROM 94 V6 SURF,WHERES THE REST OF IT?!

Postby CORROLUX » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:08 pm

ANYONE HELP ME OUT WITH BITS I NEED TO GET A V6 AUTO BOX FROM A 94 V6 SURF RUNNING FOR A LEXUS CONVERSION? :twisted:

I'VE GOT MOST OF THE AUTO, THE BOX, X MEMBER, STANDARD BELLHOUSING, TORQUE CONVERTER, PROP SHAFTS AND 1 (I THINK) LINK ROD TO THE KICKDOWN (I THINK) SWITCH, ALL STILL TOGETHER. :?

I'M SHORT ON WIRING, COMPUTER IF ANY (SOME1 SAID THEY HAVE THEIR OWN 1 WHEN ON THE TRUCK :?: ), FLEX PLATE, SHIFTER LEVER, LINKAGE AND CAB TRIM.

I'M FAIRLY MECHANICALLY MINDED BUT HAVEN'T DEALT WITH GEARBOXES MUCH AT ALL IN THE FLESH LET ALONE ANY VEHCILES WITH A COMPUTER.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW WERE THEY WERE SETUP & RUN ON THE PARENT VEHCILE?

ANY HELP VERY HELPFUL! :D

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:25 pm

I have the A340 Series service manual, the main part of the box is the same so should help:

http://www.wjw.co.uk/Toyota/A340/autotrans.html

You will need a Trans ECU of some kind though... not exactly sure what was in that model of Surf though...
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

Engineer
Hard Yaka

Postby Engineer » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:21 pm

im doing the same thing, only going to be running my standard auto outta my surf at the moment. if you use the lexus bellhousing, torque converter, flex plate etc and change the input shaft from a lexus auto into the hilux auto it'll all bolt up and then get an auto sparkie to hard wire then trans an just manual shift it OR you could get an aftermarket trans controller an get that tuned up to shift where you want. im going to ring phil from NZEfi again tomorrow as he was looking into this for me.
dunno if this helps. prob not, but hey im bored.

CORROLUX
Driver/Navigator

Postby CORROLUX » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:30 pm

HAY THANKS YES ALL THOSE POSTS HELP A LOT 4 ME! THANKS ALL, IT GIVES ME AVENUES TO PURSUE AND INVESTIGATE FUTHER, HELLUVA LOT MORE THAN I HAD BEFORE!

OK SO THE TRANS CONTROLLER/ECU IS A DEFINITE THEN FOR TRUE AUTOMATIC, THAT AFTERMARKET IDEA SOUNDS GOOD, AT LEAST IT'D BE SETUP FOR THE CONVERSION WHEREAS THE V6 1 MITE NOT CHANGE THE GEARS THE WAY A LEXUS LIKES IT PERHAPS? JUST A GUESS THERE
I HAD THIUGHT ABOUT HARD WIRING TOO, A GUY DID THAT IN A SURF WITH A LEXUS V8 AND IT'S TRANS (NO 4WD THO! :x ) IT WORKED MINT AND I'D PROBLY LIKE THAT A LOT COS I LIKE TO FLY BY THE SEAT OF MY PANTS AND HATE IT WHEN A MACHINE RECKONS IT NEEDS TO CHANGE SOMETHING WITHOUT ASKING - SUCH AS A GEAR ONA BLOODY STEEP SLOPE OR SOMETHING....

THANKS AGAIN MOST HELPFUL ANY FURTHER POSTS WELCOME CHEERS

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:34 am

If you want a manual auto, they cheapest off the shelf solution comes from this guy:

brett AT AWshifting.com

My email to him:

Brett,

I now have a 3 litre straight six toyota motor in my cruiser, but I'm still
using the diesel ECU to control the auto. Is there any way I can replace
that ECU completely with your box? If so what would that leave me with?
manual shifting through 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and OD?

Thanks,

His response:

Yes, you could use my controller for manual control of each gear and torque convertor lockup without needing an ECU.

Thanks for your interest and let me know if you have any other questions,

Brett
-----------------------

Jafa
Hard Yaka

Postby Jafa » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:26 am

yep thats what I have for my 1UZ, bout 220 to my door I think it was
'85 Hilux crawler, 3rz, duals, 4.7's, 4.88's, ARB's, 30 spline Longfields, 6 stud SNR4x4 Histeer, Airshocks up front, coiled rear, 40" Iroks.
^^^this shite is all about to change....^^^

021 273 9942
jafa@inspire.net.nz

Engineer
Hard Yaka

Postby Engineer » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:10 pm

does it work well? how hard is it to setup/tune?

Jafa
Hard Yaka

Postby Jafa » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:22 pm

I'll let u know when its going :lol:
'85 Hilux crawler, 3rz, duals, 4.7's, 4.88's, ARB's, 30 spline Longfields, 6 stud SNR4x4 Histeer, Airshocks up front, coiled rear, 40" Iroks.
^^^this shite is all about to change....^^^

021 273 9942
jafa@inspire.net.nz

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:46 pm

From what I've read there should be no tuning required, all your doing is turning solenoids on and off in the correct order to change gears, lock the torque converter etc. the only tuning needed would be in the operator ;-)
-----------------------

Return to “Toyota”