Lift & 31's and stuff

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Lift & 31's and stuff

Postby Pico42 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:16 am

Hi

This is our Suzuki as of about 2010.

This is it mid 2011. As you can see, there have been a few changes. Thought I would share some of it in case any one is interested. Plus some of the things we have done to it since then.

Will post different bits up, but it will probably take a while as these are quite a few different things and I have limited time in the evenings. I guess this will be part build thread, part Show us your Suzuki type thing.
Last edited by Pico42 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Re: Lift & 31's and stuff

Postby Pico42 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:25 am

First, some basic specs:

31 x 10.5 r 15 BFG MT KM 2's, (mostly courtesy of winning a raffle at the 2010 zukfest) on 15 x 8 rims with -19mm offset.
75mm suspension lift
65mm body lift.
Steel winch bar andWarn m5000 winch (still to be wired up...)
Reinforced sills
Lifted fuel tank
Safari snorkel
Rear disc brakes.
Steel rock sliders bolted to chassis
Cut and flared guards

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:46 am

Suspension lift:

We had the commodore and laurel spring set up of the Cheap Vitara Lift and since we found the springs really well matched to the vehicle, we kept them, but put 1" spacers from bits4vits on top at both front and rear. Like so

You can also see in that photo the drive shaft spacer, 25mm, also from bits4vits. You can't see the 75mm spacer between the diff and the A arm, because it wasn't yet fitted in this photo, but it is there.

The rear shocks are Old Man Emu's with 50mm additional travel. This didn't quite match the 75mm lift, so we fitted some shock repositioners, also from bits4vits. They seem to work well.

Finally, I sourced some handbrake cables from a 5 door to give a bit more length and stop them binding up on full articulation. However these were later removed when they became too long with some of the other modifications

Up front, we fitted OME struts again, after some messing around with strut spacers and standard struts. Basically there was a problem getting the camber back to where it should be, even with camber bolts. The OME struts have some camber adjustment built in to them and the bolts took up the rest.

That's the suspension, a few other things needed changing as a result.
Last edited by Pico42 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:05 am

Body Lift

We had sourced a 50mm body lift kit from Trade Me. Fitted it. Simple.

Except the instructions said to put the blocks on top of the rubber pads. The block sits down quite deeply in the pads and I didn't like that. So I put some spacers made from 6mm steel between the pad and block to spread the load.

Then I decided to add a second spacer to get a bit more height for two reasons: 1) to give a bit more space for the tyres and 2) more space to lift the fuel tank.

Still quite simple. Only had to do it 3 times. Loctited up now so not planning on doing it again.
Last edited by Pico42 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:27 am

Upping that body lift affected a few other things.

First, the gear levers were too short so we took them out and extended them. Then changed the angle of the bend in them. Several times. Also noticed how our transfer box oil was the colour and consistency of porridge - the sealing boot had split and there was quite a bit of water in there.

The steering shaft spline also now had very little overlap, so we fitted some spacers, again from bits4vits. To get this out, I had to drop off the steering box? It seemed like I was making it harder than it needed to be compared with the online instructions - until I realised that the vehicle in the online instructions didn't have an engine in it at the time.

Works nicely now.

We also dropped down the position of where the brake line goes through the front passenger guard to match the body lift, otherwise the brake line doesn't have enough movement to match the suspension travel - a bad thing.
Last edited by Pico42 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:45 am

Fuel tank:

Like many others, our fuel tank capacity has been reduced by various "percussion" incidents over time, so I decided to raise it up. Unfortunately I didn't have any photos of this. But there are several websites showing clearly the problem presented by the rear chassis tube cross rail.

Basically emptied the tank and dropped it out. Along the back are the obvious mounting tabs sitting in a smooth seam of steel. I filed down around the tabs so they could be bent and bent them up.

Under the vehicle, I cut off the bottom part of the front mounting points, then cut off the back of the remaining mount before bending the other two sides in to form a new mount position some 50mm higher up. There was lots of measuring too. Tank goes back in with some persuasion, bolt up the front and sit the rear tabs on that crossmember. Then drilled new holes through that crossmember to bolt up the rear tabs.

A little bit of bending of the fuel lines and it is good. No need to extend the fuel filler neck either.
Last edited by Pico42 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike77
Hard Yaka

Postby mike77 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:54 pm

Being a new fulla to all of this, thanks for these types of threads, pictures make everything sooo much easier to understand.

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:59 pm

Thanks for that, appreciate it.

I certainly learnt a lot from the threads on here too.

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:27 am

The Sills:

During all this work, I did have a problem that I wasn't sure what to do about. At Zukfest we had done some damage to the sills (that's also where we got the love bites down the side in the top photo) and once I into it I realized that simply repairing the sills was going to be awkward, especially the passenger side.

Here is a photo of the exact place we messed up those sills - mmmm, nice rocks.

So I eventually decided to strengthen/replace them with steel box section, as per a thread on a US Suzuki website. That website said 3mm thickness minimum, I picked up 4mm offcuts from the local steel shop. Great!

Except welding panel steel to 4mm box section sucks. Really sucks. And making things worse was me tacking it into place with a buzzbox arc welder with only a few hours experience (making up the box section). It eventually went to a panel beater after the first guy gave up on it.

To take a step back, I used 50mm x 100mm box section, squared off at the back and tapered at the front. At the same time I trimmed the guards back to make lots of tyre room ( we often run chains as well). If you cut out the sill immediately behind the main joining seam (the one that gets folded over when you slide over a rock); and cut at the bottom of the first vertical bit immediately below the bottom of the door, the box section fits quite neatly - see the photo below. Cut the front and rear bits to fit and get it all welded up.

I was aware of the electric wires running down the passenger side sill and avoided them. On the drivers side is the rear windscreen washer hose - had to replace that.

You can also see in this photo the amount I was taking off the front guards.

Once all welded up and the final guard shaping completed, I tidied it up with some knead it ( bit stronger than body filler ) then painted it all flat black. I made a point of filling any areas where water would normally sit too.

Really happy with the end result which almost looks like the factory plastic (that disappeared on a trip to Serpentine Church) and despite it being the worst thing to get done. And it is pretty strong - although since we also fitted separate rock sliders it is unlikely we will test it.
Last edited by Pico42 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:40 am

Steelwork:

You may have seen the front bar...

We got this made (along with the rock sliders of which I don't have a photo handy) by Woody of the Canterbury Suzuki Club - ORE name Loppee . Does really nice work and I am looking forward to seeing his rear bar design.

Contact him if you want something made up, we highly recommend him and the prices are reasonable too.

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:57 am

Just thought I should mention why my posts are at 2:00am etc and I don't have more photos available. About 7 weeks ago I moved to Port Hedland in the Pilbara region of Western Australia, but the Vitara is still at home.

And as the certification plate only got put on last week or so, I haven't yet gotten out off road in it and am not likely too.

At least my partner Deborah will put it to some use with the recent snow...

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:50 pm

Brakes:

The brakes have generally always been good on our vehicle, but the handbrake tended to always need adjustment - a common problem with the length of the cables being tensioned when the articulation is stretched.

I did get some 5dr handbrake cables and fitted them. But one of our TM buys was a pair of front hubs/struts for about $25, good for the struts and bearings. On arrival, I found that they had vented discs - obviously from a 5 door. So decided to pop those one as bigger better discs. This didn't work until I picked up some 5 dr front calipers to match. A bolt on upgrade.

This left some spare solid front discs and I found a thread here with a reference to a kit for changing the rear brakes to discs. But ummed and ahhed about them until I got the rear drums apart and realised that all of the pads had to be replaced.

So, to save spending $120 odd on pads, we spent $500 on the kit and another $100 on mitsubishi galant rear calipers, another $50 on new brake hoses and got a set of new rear disc pads.

Much cheaper?!?!!

The end result:
Actually, in the photo above you can also see the diff a-arm spacer and also see how much the fuel tank was lifted - the bottom of the fuel tank used to be level with the bottom of the tow bar.

I have posted about this disc brake conversion in another thread ( the one that showed me this option in the first place ), but to repeat it, I quite simply found this kit excellent value for money, especially for someone with limited mechanical knowledge like me. All the bits are there, the instructions are precise and it looks sharp - the Certifier was also very impressed with the kit and how it went together.

There is a chap Ben who sells these kits and other upgrade bits for Suzuki's - give him a pm, his details are in this thread here http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/ ... 23&t=23444

The one change I had to make was, because of the configuration of the handbrake cable mount points, there is much more free cable available (remember the problem with standard handrakes cables being too short) and combined with my swap to 5dr cables, they were too long. Had to swap them back to the 3dr ones - if someone want a pair of cheap 5dr cables for their 3dr to help resolve their handbrake issue, let me know as I have some spare.

This, the front bar and the tyres are my favourite parts of the vehicle. Perhaps the exhaust note too - it is pretty distinctive...
Last edited by Pico42 on Sat May 31, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:59 pm

Neighbour has a Vitara too, so got a comparative photo for shits and giggles. Not exactly level ground, but it illustrates the change just the same

Last edited by Pico42 on Sat May 31, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kernels
Hard Yaka

Postby kernels » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:22 pm

That rear disc brake kit is pricey, but sub zero cool. Really enjoying your posts, cheers mate.

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:24 pm

Clutch:

We lost our first clutch on the way home from 2008 Zukfest.

The replacement lasted 1200 km. Mostly because we sat in a muddy pool for a long time one day. But it subsequently failed on the Waikaia Bush Road - we were towed home that day...

Replaced it again with a heavy duty clutch and had the clutch housing sealed up except for a single breather hole at the bottom. The idea being that water cannot enter as it cannot displace the air inside and any water that does enter (temperature contraction mostly) can drain straight back out the bottom again.

Seems to work so far.

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:43 pm

Front Diff:

The renowned weak point of Vitaras, we have an alloy front diff. This suffered some damage a few years back trying to get up the rock face at Skippers Creek (if you have been there, you know what I am talking about... lost a tow hook that day too) which put a hairline crack in the bottom of the diff.

As a temporary fix to stop the diff oil draining out over the next week (we were going to Zukfest the following day...), we put some knead-it on the crack. That knead it stayed there for at least two years - replaced the knead-it once and picked bits of teeth out when doing oil changes.

Obviously a hillbilly diff like that is not going to like the additional load. We researched steel diffs and I missed one on Trade Me (good on ya Woody), but in the meantime we have simply had the casing replaced to give it some of a chance of not blowing up again.

I mean, we have nursed a diff with cracked casing and missing teeth for the past three years (and those who know us know we are not shy on getting it dirty...) so we should be able to nurse a good one with the bigger wheels? Right?

Anyway, got a replacement to swap over, but found that we have the bigger 26 spline axles, so ended up getting someone who knows about these thing to do it properly for us. Diff ratios are 5.12.

The one thing we have done is fit longer mounting brackets to lower the front diff to reduce the angles of the CV joints.

One day a steel front diff. I wonder if the Calmini Anvil would fit with our set up?

And some arb lockers... if things go well here in WA that might be feasible sooner rather than later...

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:57 pm

kernels wrote:That rear disc brake kit is pricey, but sub zero cool. Really enjoying your posts, cheers mate.

Thanks for that.

Yep, it did add a fair bit to our bottom line for the upgrade. If you do the numbers, you will see that there is still quite a bit of cost in what we have done - it was to a budget, but not a budget job. I am always going to be hampered by not being a mechanic or in a helpful trade (I am a Surveyor). But we did get some bargains through different means - eg thats about $2K of rims and tyres that we paid about $600 for. The rest was a raffle win and a quid pro quo payment from a "work account" for some work stuff my partner did for me one time.

Our budget did expand as we progressd through things - got a much better idea of how things worked under the vehicle and suddenly some of the comments in some online forums made much more sense. These disc brakes were certainly an extra to our original plan, but they seemed well worthwhile to us.

Generally we have found it is best to do things properly - usually costs a bit more, but lasts longer and does the job better.

We were also trying to get as much of the cert stuff done as possible, so the diffs etc were not a priority.

And, yes, the brakes look really good with this setup. Really stoked with them. And the whole braking system works really well.

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:23 pm

Guards and Flares:

I have touched on these in other posts.

Bigger tyres and better articulation means rubbing in the guards. We can't have that so have to make some room.

The body lift went a long way to addressing this and the wheel offset helps as well. But at some point the guards simply have to be trimmed back, especially on the door side of both front and rear guards.

We have seen a lot of vehicles on a lot of different trips and we wanted to avoid the feral bashed out guard looked (at least ones from deliberate actions we have a few character marks and west coast pinstripes which are a different matter...).

Inside the front guards (once the plastic comes off) it is obvious where there is a seam at the backof the weheel arch. I hammered this back flat and used the resulting face to guide me as to where to put the new bend in the exterior panel. I marked it up with vivid and found the first hiccup - mark up both sides to ensure what you do on one can happen on the other - there was a snorkel in the way on the front passenger side and a fuel filler in the way on the rear drivers side.

Once marked out properly, I started folding the steel over progressively using a pair of pliers. At the top of the arch, it is a small amount, at the bottom, I had to cut more than an inch of steel - was getting quite handy with the cut off disc by now. Obviously I was also making sure things fitted with the box section sills.

Once roughly folded over, I smoothed it over and tightened up the fold using some panel beater tools (I had these for some work on an HR holden I had - the sale of which funded most of the Vitara work).

This took quite a bit of time - but it is important to take the time to make it look right (and equal) otherwise it can look really half assed.

It is much the same in the rear guards, but a bit more complex because there is a double skin. I marked this out and ended up cutting a wedge out to retain the welded seam at the outside edge of the guard. This was then welded back in by the panel beater who did the final welding on the box section sills. Even without the box section, the rear guards were probably beyond my immediate capability, especially as I didn't have a suitable welder.

Sorry I don't immediately have a photo of this because it would be much easier to demonstrate. This stuff was getting done at the business end of us going on holdiay overseas, followed by moving to WA.

However, once trimmed back and painted up, keeping an eye out on Trade Me got us a few bushranger? flexy flare offcuts and I screwed these into place. Looks easy, but was a shit of a job that took me about 4 hours! Getting the flare sitting at the right position and staying there while first doing the pilot hole and then the screw (bollocks they are self tapping...) was quite difficult and I had a lot of vice grips in place at times. It did get smoother as I got further through it.

End result, big black flared guards that just cover the wheel treads but will flex and give if we tickle a tree or two.

This post really sucks without a picture, so I will repeat one. Wish I had more, i spent a lot of time doing the guards.
Last edited by Pico42 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loppee
Hard Yaka

Postby loppee » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:45 pm

Great job there Ross ya Zuks looking good, I like the rear disc brake set up.Looking forward to Zukfest 2012, hope to see you there.
Cheers Woody

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:30 am

loppee wrote:Great job there Ross ya Zuks looking good, I like the rear disc brake set up.Looking forward to Zukfest 2012, hope to see you there.
Cheers Woody

We are aiming to be there Woody - it might be one of our scheduled trips home... they are a stupid amount of fun!

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:15 pm

Yeah, ya got me buzzing about the next zukfest now. Looking forward to petrol hill and any of those little gaps in the bush that take you 30km out of the way!!

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:35 pm

Speedo

With the tyres, our speedo no longer read accurately and our certified advised it needed to be within 10%. It was outside this, so had to fix it up...

...which I explained nicely in this other thread:

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/ ... 23&t=25326

crzyfl
Hard Yaka

Postby crzyfl » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:03 pm

Pico,
do the C33 springs seat properly?
and when at full articulation, are the springs 'captive'?

If you knew what length the c33s are non compressed that would be great.

As per another thread, I replaced my springs with v6 springs, shocks with vl ones, but the shocks allow too much travel, and the springs are not long enough to remain held in the bump spacers.
DISCLAIMER

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:43 pm

crzyfl wrote:Pico,
do the C33 springs seat properly?
and when at full articulation, are the springs 'captive'?

If you knew what length the c33s are non compressed that would be great.

As per another thread, I replaced my springs with v6 springs, shocks with vl ones, but the shocks allow too much travel, and the springs are not long enough to remain held in the bump spacers.

Yes, they seat properly.
Yes, they are captive. At full extension on axle stands. In fact I could probably let the extension out more. Don't forget I have a spacer in there as well.
I didn't measure their length, just got hold of some and put them in as per Cheap Vitara Lift.

A common fix is to extend the bump stops.

crzyfl
Hard Yaka

Postby crzyfl » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:20 pm

Thanks Pico. I have some C33s and Spacers on the way. I am keeping the front V6 springs.

I looked at spacers from Suzisport international (no pics), Low Range off road and Bits 4 Vits. The Low Range ones are not shaped as the Bits 4 Vits ones are. Ended up ordering from Bits 4 Vits.

Did you get your gears?
DISCLAIMER

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:35 pm

Got a price for gears, €700 for front and rear r&p, plus €150 for shipping. From Turkey...

But have been thinking about the front diff too - still searching for a steel one.

And if we are doing all that, we should put some lockers in as well. $NZ3200 for front and rear, plus GST, with compressor on top. Or $AU2400 for the pair including compressor and hose accessories and incl GST.

So, doing some saving. And still to get the winch wired up.

crzyfl
Hard Yaka

Postby crzyfl » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:03 am

What ratio are the turkish diffs? That will be interesting.

Just out of interest as well, did your highway efficiency drop with 31s? I seem to have from 10 to 13L/100Km. Obviously my revs dropped.
DISCLAIMER

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:37 am

5.72 ratio.

Our fuel economy wasn't that great to start with, but pretty sure it will be worse. Haven't been able to drive it much, seeing as its at home and we are in WA (go the mining boom!). So back to more planning again. Actively seeking a steel diff now, and also turning my attention to getting more power out of the engine.

christover1

Postby christover1 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:52 pm

G'day.
Did you get or fit the 5.72 diffs from Turkey?
I am considering getting them,
but have not found much feed back yet.
Thanks
christover

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:08 am

The replacement ring and pinions fron Turkey are still on the cards, but some way off at the moment...

...mostly because we scored a steel front diff in the meantime. Oh Yeah. :D

And,and and, bits4vits are having a sale so we shouted ourselves one of their front recovery bars.

Waiting for both to get delivered .

Return to “Suzuki”