Suzuki Escudo won't start

bagal
Winch master

Suzuki Escudo won't start

Postby bagal » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:23 pm

My Escudo stopped dead the other day. At the time the fuel gauge was on E so I put 10l of petrol in the tank, but it wouldn't re-start. someone suggested the fuel pump might be cooked. However it appears to be OK - fuel discharges during cranking when the small bolt on the filter is loosened, also from one of the return lines. Ignition appears OK as there is spark. Any suggestions for what to do next? Does the system need bleeding or something like that? Please note I can't be absolutely sure that lack of fuel was the cause of the stoppage. It may have been just a coincidence.
Bill

nztimr33
Hard Yaka

Re: Suzuki Escudo won't start

Postby nztimr33 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:35 pm

bagal wrote:My Escudo stopped dead the other day. At the time the fuel gauge was on E so I put 10l of petrol in the tank, but it wouldn't re-start. someone suggested the fuel pump might be cooked. However it appears to be OK - fuel discharges during cranking when the small bolt on the filter is loosened, also from one of the return lines. Ignition appears OK as there is spark. Any suggestions for what to do next? Does the system need bleeding or something like that? Please note I can't be absolutely sure that lack of fuel was the cause of the stoppage. It may have been just a coincidence.
Bill

is it EFI or carb ? shouldnt need to bleed a efi as the pump will do that , Where did u check for spark ? at the spark plug h/t lead or at the coil ? just because it has spark at the coil doesnt necessarily mean the sparks getting to the plugs :mrgreen:

nztimr33
Hard Yaka

Postby nztimr33 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:36 pm

also could try some engine start spray as a quick test to see if it will fire up on that or not *then youll know its a fuel problem*

bagal
Winch master

Postby bagal » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Thank you for replying. Its an EFI model. Spark was visible at the plug. A shot of petrol in one cylinder fired.Will try some engine start.

bagal
Winch master

Postby bagal » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:23 pm

Had a mechanic look at this and he advises the computer is faulty as it can be started by bypassing the computer. Can these computers be tested, repaired, bought second hand etc? Anywhere in Dunedin i could try? He is talking $150 to test and $350 to repair.

Bill

BlakeJ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeJ » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:18 pm

look out for one being wrecked, try trademe, there was an ecu for sale for $50 on there not long ago

churchill
Hard Yaka

Postby churchill » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:49 pm

bagal wrote:Had a mechanic look at this and he advises the computer is faulty as it can be started by bypassing the computer. Can these computers be tested, repaired, bought second hand etc? Anywhere in Dunedin i could try? He is talking $150 to test and $350 to repair.

Bill

Sounds strange, the computer is needed to control the engine so if the computer is bypassed your car ain't gonna run either.

Might pay to try another mechanic!

northdude
Bush Crasher

Postby northdude » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:11 pm

cambelt ok?

Big-AL
Hard Yaka

Postby Big-AL » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:43 pm

what are the numbers on the ecu?

bagal
Winch master

Postby bagal » Thu May 19, 2016 9:38 pm

Sorry to bring up an old post. problem was ECU, all fixed and has been running fine ever since.

Bill

Return to “Suzuki”