Rock crawler transfer case

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Sun May 25, 2014 8:11 pm

I am looking to install an extra low ratio transfer case in my Jimny. I know that I will need to change the transfer case for a samari one, which I already have, but wondering what peoples experience is with the various options, where they got them from and how much they paid.
Thanks
Tony.
Tony.

UBZ
Hard Yaka

Re: Rock crawler transfer case

Postby UBZ » Mon May 26, 2014 4:48 pm

Low Range Offroad is the best plce to get them .

ratio really depends on what size tyres you want to run and diff R&P ratio.
LR110 ..... LJ50 project :roll:
Chris.

Rotazuk
Hard Yaka

Postby Rotazuk » Mon May 26, 2014 7:51 pm

No idea on the ratio's in the Jimny , all I know is a manual t/case is good in an auto in the early years I think :)

The first set of gears I installed came from Rocky road . I was a little disapointed in the way they were made but they never failed . Since then we have had a run of three done by burnie ( what we thought was a 413 case turned out to be another suitable 410 case :) ). Think they have slowly been sold off over time . If you do not have a 410 case to get the gears from for a 4.16 I would look at getting them in instead of making one , it was still a few $$$ to get the gears machined and welded etc .
Rocky road was the first ones I installed .
I have dealt with trail tough in the past , no issues and second gear set . Likewise lowrange but not for gears . PM 4wdstuff on here and see what price he can do for you , deals with Low range offroad .

Cheers
Chris

redzuki
Hard Yaka

Postby redzuki » Mon May 26, 2014 10:35 pm

I've made a few orders through Low range off-road and they were great to deal with.
I got my gears by finding a 410 case and getting the gears machined , by the time you try and find the correct sj410 ,sj413 cases and get the machining work done it will probably be easier to just buy these ........

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index.ph ... gears.html

I have run 4.16 gears in my suzuki with 30-33s and they worked really well for mud and clay etc . You may want to go lower if you want to do slower creek crawling with 33s.

polaarbear
Winch master

Postby polaarbear » Mon May 26, 2014 11:55 pm

On my Jimny is the standard transfer case with 30's and I'm pretty sure ANYTHING will be an improvement over the standard case. It depends what size tyres you can fit! I've heard that 31's go well and are pretty much as high as most people seem to go.. I've also noticed while reading on the net that most people seem to like the 4.16 ratio as a good all round set.. It can still be driven fairly comfortably on the road but also get a good low range. If you're not worried about road driving and do more crawling stuff then go to an even lower ratio.
By the way, was it fairly simple to put the samurai transfer case in? I've got an sj410 case waiting to go in but I have to find all the other bits and pieces first.

Josh

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Tue May 27, 2014 6:54 am

Can't wait to get my engine running so I can see if my transfer has got lower gears. The case has definitely been opened, looks like an ex club truck, and the guards are chopped to fit probably at least 32s, so kinda hoping haha. Has been kicking around a shed for several years so would've been before premade gearsets were easy to come by, could be an actual lobster tho no real way to tell I suppose til I can drive it
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Tue May 27, 2014 10:35 pm

polaarbear wrote:On my Jimny is the standard transfer case with 30's and I'm pretty sure ANYTHING will be an improvement over the standard case. It depends what size tyres you can fit! I've heard that 31's go well and are pretty much as high as most people seem to go.. I've also noticed while reading on the net that most people seem to like the 4.16 ratio as a good all round set.. It can still be driven fairly comfortably on the road but also get a good low range. If you're not worried about road driving and do more crawling stuff then go to an even lower ratio.
By the way, was it fairly simple to put the samurai transfer case in? I've got an sj410 case waiting to go in but I have to find all the other bits and pieces first.

Josh

I am intending to go to 6.1 as I am running 31 and this isn't a daily driver, and even if it was the 4 Km daily commute won't be a problem as the Speed liming is 70 Kph anyway. The samurai case is still sitting on the floor of the garage. will let you know how hard it was to install when i have installed it!!
Tony.

polaarbear
Winch master

Postby polaarbear » Wed May 28, 2014 7:46 pm

6.1 would be awesome. Good choice! If you ever want a hand pulling a wrench with the Jimny just let me know!

Return to “Suzuki”