SJ416

unsuspecting
Winch master

SJ416

Postby unsuspecting » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:00 am

Hi all,

About 9 months ago the Mrs and I decided to get an SJ413 to use getting in to her home the Marlborough Sounds.

After a search on Trademe we found one in our price range, the photos looked tidy for its age and the owner said the only thing that would affect a warrant was the suspension bushes.
We were soon on the plane to Christchurch and after a short drive picked up our new project.

The winter drive up was less than comfortable with the heater intake sealed up to stop a leak, a big end that sounded like a heavy metal drummer and a carburettor that was about as airtight as a cheese grater. It was a quick schooling on carb icing too - my previous Toyotas have had top mounted carbs so never seemed to have quite as much of a problem. We made it back to Blenheim however and after a refuel, a sleep, and new fluids/plugs/leads continued on to the outer reaches of the Sounds.

On the way we acquainted ourselves with the unbridled power of the 1324cc engine - the majority of the horses having bolted and the few remaining flailing away in the big end bearings.

We made it, somewhat surprisingly and were greeted at the top of the airstrip by some compatriots - including the first SJ413 registered in NZ. NZ000001 strangely has 970cc on its data plate, despite being a 413 and having its original G13A in it.

Over the course of the weekend things started going wrong. CV grease started leaking out of the swivel hubs, the transmission brake gave up the ghost etc etc etc - it was going to be a long few weeks sorting these bits and pieces out.

Back to civilisation and shortly new springs, shocks, swivel hub kits and bushings were on the way.

King pin bearings were in need of replacement, in fact one of the kingpins had snapped completely.

The initial part I was sent (2nd from right) was a real dud - no edge distance and holes drilled in flange by a monkey.

The crush tubes and bolts holding the springs in were all welded, requiring hard work with a hacksaw. Oddly, the suspension bushings I got didn't come with crush tubes - it was a nightmare finding some so I got some made up at Eckford engineering. I stayed away from Nolathane etc. for the time being as I want to keep it reasonably flexible.

CV and axle shaft were difficult to separate, I went to the local scrapyard and got a length of pipe.

No wonder I couldn't get it off with a hammer - eventually when it did budge it did this...

unsuspecting
Winch master

Re: SJ416

Postby unsuspecting » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:30 am

Springs went in eventually and it started coming back together.

The originals had sagged a lot so the 2" lift springs really fixed the ride height.

New wheel bearings, seals, a new CV and we're starting to get there.

I got a generic steering rack boot to put on the prop shaft - a couple of new universals (2 of 6 down).

I did the hand brake at the same time, the old shoes were pretty shot!

Heater core got a clean out.
Unfortunately that meant the dash needed to come out.

It was now time to begin on the rust. What a killer... The more we looked, the more we noticed bits that had been covered over without the underlying problem being fixed. We wanted the car to last, so went about replacing and inhibiting.

unsuspecting
Winch master

Postby unsuspecting » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:00 am

So previous owners had covered some pretty serious rubbish by welting some metal over the top of a rust hole, without cleaning the rust up first, this left a gap that filled with mud and water and caused some issues.

Our patches come up looking OK.
We then painted them and covered on the top with PRC, on the bottom with underbody spray and sound deadening paint.

The rear arches were cut out and we then bent an angle, which we then stretched to the right shape, before cutting to fit. This should hopefully preserve the strength.
This is face down.
This also leaves a flange that can be used to attach the stock arches, while removing the rust catching "V" shape.

Lots of bog was used to cover the underlying problems.

We then went on the hunt for a G16, which we found in the form of a crashed Escudo from Turners.

Out came the old 1.3, I can't decide if I want to work on it to put in NZ000001 or make a lawnmower...
The new 16V was brought to the SJ...

Then began the wiring... I was about to give up at many stages. I don't look back fondly at the feeling of oil soaked electrical tape.

We replaced the stock radiator with an Australian version with a finer core - thanks to Radiator Services Blenheim, Tony Flood was really helpful and put some time into thinking about our best option.

This meant we could use the power steering from the Escudo without as much of a space issue. With Ben T's kits it was really simple, we just had to modify the radiator mount so it didn't interfere with the belt.

The kits look really sharp - can't wait to do the rear disc brake conversion.

It also meant we could go to a smaller steering wheel.

unsuspecting
Winch master

Postby unsuspecting » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:22 am

Slowly got the loom sorted and tidied up, it was getting closer to warrant day.
We used electrical glands in the firewall, it was easier than messing around with grommets. We also used corrugated tubing rather than just electrical tape.
Back on the road.
And in the bush.

So she's still nothing pretty, the upgrades make it good fun to drive, and we're less worried about it breaking down all the time. It can be quite jerky around town in 1st though.
Took it up some fun tracks around the Sounds and shot some goats, the power is enjoyable and the arms don't get a workout anymore. We even managed to pass someone over the Whangamoas.
Still need a snorkel, looking to keep the air intake on the side it currently is (passenger side). Looking to put a small winch in as well, recovery points, fire extinguisher, and then get involved with the local club to increase our skill and go new places who can help when something inevitable breaks.

The passenger seat snapped in half so a mate TIG welded that up, it looks really tidy, we're just waiting for the driver seat to do the same!
I've currently got the transfer box out trying to replace the speedo gear which is proving to be an absolute shocker of a job. I've tried drilling a bolt and putting a dowel through, grabbing the bolt with vice grips and hitting them with a hammer. So far I've only got as far as smashing one of my fingernails off. Any tips?

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Postby Swamped » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:33 am

You're on the right track. Can just take a bit of a hit to get it out. I'd be careful not to score the housing with your pin though as it could damage the new seal when installing.

unsuspecting
Winch master

Postby unsuspecting » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:21 am

Success!!
IMG_4982.jpg

Cheers for the tip mate worked a dream.

Sausager
Hard Yaka

Postby Sausager » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:03 pm

Cool writeup mate, and nice car! I'll be following :)

Interesting thing about the early SJ413 - apparently Suzuki didn't have tags for the first ones before the cars were ready, so they used leftover SJ410 tags until the 413 ones arrived, hence the reason they show the 970cc F10a motor.

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Postby Swamped » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:51 pm

Must have been only a few trucks. I have truck 39 and its a 413 tag.

Sawdoc
Hard Yaka

Postby Sawdoc » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:30 pm

Great read good luck with the future wheeling :D
91 HZJ73 Cruiser, 4.2 non turbo,33 x 12.5 kl71's,UHF radio, snorkle, diff breathers, Factory winch, Awesome club truck.

PuddleJumper
Hard Yaka

Postby PuddleJumper » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:23 pm

Good write up. Always good to read about Zuks!

I can vouch for BenTs rear disc brake kit - I installed one on my 413 ute. much better stopping power and you never need to clean them out 8)

unsuspecting
Winch master

Postby unsuspecting » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:05 am

Rear brake kit arrived today - I'm kicking myself for not ordering some rear wheel bearings and new seals at the same time! Good to have a few engineers around who I can beg to help, not too sure if I want to be cutting the axles myself.

I've transferred my SWB Escudo front brakes onto the front of the SJ which has freed up the originals to throw on the back.

It says that ideally LWB Vitara brakes would be better but I've got an old Corolla proportioning valve which might be able to fix up the balance, to be honest I'm no expert.

Some more photos of the rust work.

The entire door frame where the hinges bolt in had deteriorated, meaning a fair amount of new steel was needed.

Angle welded in before trimming.

Trimmed for flanges for original rubber to fit on. This will hopefully stop as much mud and moisture being trapped.

Return to “Suzuki”