Jimny queries

steweym8
Driver/Navigator

Jimny queries

Postby steweym8 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:51 pm

Hi guys,
I currently have a pajero causing me dramas and even if I succeed in sorting il probably still move it on. I'm seriously looking at the wee Jimny as a suitable replacement.
My questions are:
What is easier and or cheaper to source parts for in nz - g13bb or m13a inc the relevant gearboxes/ transfer cases etc?
How meny kms is to many with both engines? (Obviously history dependent on specific vehicles so all things being equal generic over view)
General thoughts on the wee Jimnys.

Cheers
Michael

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Re: Jimny queries

Postby Mudde1 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:12 pm

Not sure about m13a, but my Jimny and my sons baleno both have G13bb. The baleno was driven with no water at all in it and i had to replace the head. no problems at all finding parts. The balano has done 250,000km and that Jimny a little more and both are still going strong, but both had new heads as a result of lack of maintenance by previous owners.
Jimny is a great vehicle, already has power steering, disc breaks, beam axles, etc. very economic to run. Plenty of off road bits available form overseas, but a bit more restricted in NZ. one big disadvantage is that getting lower ratios means a change to the older SJ transfercase as there are no decent low range options available for the jimny transfercase. seems the chain drive won't handle the extra torque.
The body shells are surprisingly strong. you can roll them over 3.75 times, and still drive them home, and the doors all still open and shut. :lol:
Tony.

steweym8
Driver/Navigator

Postby steweym8 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:00 pm

Mudde1 wrote:Not sure about m13a, but my Jimny and my sons baleno both have G13bb. The baleno was driven with no water at all in it and i had to replace the head. no problems at all finding parts. The balano has done 250,000km and that Jimny a little more and both are still going strong, but both had new heads as a result of lack of maintenance by previous owners.
Jimny is a great vehicle, already has power steering, disc breaks, beam axles, etc. very economic to run. Plenty of off road bits available form overseas,
Tbut a bit more restricted in NZ. one big disadvantage is that getting lower ratios means a change to the older SJ transfercase as there are no decent low range options available for the jimny transfercase. seems the chain drive won't handle the extra torque.
The body shells are surprisingly strong. you can roll them over 3.75 times, and still drive them home, and the doors all still open and shut. :lol:

Haha I'm not in the habit of rolling but that's good to know if it were to happen
How did you find that one out?

I haven't had an opportunity to test one off-road in low ,should I factor in the upgraded transfer case as a given though? What sort of costs are involved? Iv done the whole ask google thing but costs obviously don't pertain to us in this part of the world.

What would your thoughts be on a 99 Manuel that's done 170 000 - it apeers to be in good cond and doesn't look like its seen any off-road abuse asking $5k.

Cheers again
Michael

polaarbear
Winch master

Postby polaarbear » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:49 pm

Mine has been called cute before.. Not sure if that's a positive or a negative. Haha.

Jimny's are pretty simple 4wds. So if something does break it's usually pretty easy to fix. Parts are generally pretty easy to get. Mine is a 98 with the g13bb done 210,000 kms.. and the last 30,000kms it has been thrashed but the engine still goes well so I'd say they're pretty reliable motors.

It depends on what size tyres you want to run if you need to change transfer cases.. Its fine on the standard size tyres - 205/75/15. I used the standard transfer case with 30" tyres and it was okay but borderline.. http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 728277.htm Someone is selling a kit to change transfer cases over to the sj one to give you an idea of cost. Plus you'd need to factor in a transfer case and a couple of driveshafts. I imported a kit from the UK and it cost about $400 inc. shipping.

The other thing is 30" tyres aren't going to fit on a standard height Jimny.. So if you want bigger tyres maybe factor in a lift as well.

In saying this I had alot of fun in my jimny when it was completely standard and it went pretty good off road.

Mine was at 180,000 kms when I got it for $5400 and it wasn't in good condition. So the 99 you are looking at sounds pretty good.

Josh

steweym8
Driver/Navigator

Postby steweym8 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:33 pm

Cheers for your thoughts, might be time to sort my life out and go to the negotiating table then.

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:57 am

steweym8 wrote:
Mudde1 wrote:.

Haha I'm not in the habit of rolling but that's good to know if it were to happen
How did you find that one out?
My son demonstrated that one to me.

I haven't had an opportunity to test one off-road in low ,should I factor in the upgraded transfer case as a given though? What sort of costs are involved? Iv done the whole ask google thing but costs obviously don't pertain to us in this part of the world.
Ended up costing almost 2K, works well, but i am on 33s, With some thing a little smaller you would be OK on the standart set up.

What would your thoughts be on a 99 Manuel that's done 170 000 - it apeers to be in good cond and doesn't look like its seen any off-road abuse asking $5k.
Grab it. if you don't want it let me know where it is and i will grab it.

Cheers again
Michael
Tony.

steweym8
Driver/Navigator

Postby steweym8 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:13 am

Grab it. if you don't want it let me know where it is and i will grab it.

I had a financial set back in the form of a bill from my mechanic (plus side is the pajero is now sorted)
so i wasn't able to make a move on it but ill see where i am at in a week or so. At which point if im not going to grab it il let you know as its not being advertised any where yet.

haha want to buy a 97 j-top pajero 3.5?

steweym8
Driver/Navigator

Postby steweym8 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:04 pm

If I acquire a jimny that doesn't have air con factory fitted would it be plausible to get all the relevant kit from a wrecked wagon and bolt it straight in?

Michael

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:03 pm

steweym8 wrote:If I acquire a jimny that doesn't have air con factory fitted would it be plausible to get all the relevant kit from a wrecked wagon and bolt it straight in?

Michael

Just wind your window down. Its only a 1300 after all, you need waste as little power as possible.
Tony.

steweym8
Driver/Navigator

Postby steweym8 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:50 pm

Mudde1 wrote:
steweym8 wrote:If I acquire a jimny that doesn't have air con factory fitted would it be plausible to get all the relevant kit from a wrecked wagon and bolt it straight in?

Michael

Just wind your window down. Its only a 1300 after all, you need waste as little power as possible.

Haha fair call

steweym8
Driver/Navigator

Postby steweym8 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:40 pm

Picked up the Jimny from Nelson and drove it back to christchurch on friday.wasnt actually as tidy as I originally thought but its nothing I can't live with and ended up paying $4700. Haha ones just come up on trade me in the last day or two for $5k Ono in Wellington that probably would have been a better bet! That said I loved my drive through the Lewis pass and I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with this wagon. Any one on here running a Jimny in the christchurch area?

Return to “Suzuki”