Alternator Question

suzookyman
Hard Yaka

Alternator Question

Postby suzookyman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:42 pm

Ok so Im upgrading the alternator on my sons truck ( SJ413 )to handle the winch and spots and have got a mitsi 110amp
out of a Falcon. The plug has 2 wires one yellow/white one grey/red. Can anyone tell me which wire goes to what on the suzuki
wires ( blue/white and red/white )
cheers Al.
"It's a Suzuki thing - you wouldn't understand !"

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Re: Alternator Question

Postby zukmeista » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:26 pm

I don't know the answer but it might be in here:

http://www.auszookers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5529

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:38 am

I can't remember the Suzuki colours right now, will check my sj in the arvo. You could just probe them, one is ignition, to power the regulator circuit, the other is the charge light which needs to work or your output won't be regulated. Some also have a 3rd voltage sense that goes straight to battery, as well as the main charge wire of course.
At a guess I'd say white/yel is ignition, which I'm sure is the white/red on the zook loom. Check the back of the ford alt with the plug out, a lot of newer ones the socket is labeled.
Run a decent cable to the battery too, the factory one is tiny looks like it would barely handle the standard 35amp alt
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

godzook
Driver/Navigator

Postby godzook » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:33 pm

Just done mine Red/White to top pin, Black/White to bottom pin

suzookyman
Hard Yaka

Postby suzookyman » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:32 pm

Great stuff guys, 8) thanks to all,cheers.
"It's a Suzuki thing - you wouldn't understand !"

swellacott

Postby swellacott » Thu May 14, 2015 9:18 pm

Hey guys. Looking at doing this conversion as well. Is there a link to a topic to show you what needs to be done?

Cheers

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Thu May 14, 2015 10:06 pm

How easy do these falcon ALTs bolt up? I need to replace/upgrade the one in my SJ doesn't seem to have enough grunt with the electric fans on.
Running a swift g16 block so already have the multi-rib pulleys and I presume the stock swift alt. Just wondering how easy the falcon ones fit physically
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Postby Swamped » Thu May 14, 2015 10:46 pm

I had to drill the alt bracket to suit the bigger bolt. Also had to alter the adjuster bracket to allow for the bigger diameter alternator. All pretty minor stuff really. Ran a heavier cable to the battery and cut and adapted the plug for the alt.
I was doing it on an sj so had to dick around swapping pullies to match the alt and powersteering. Running swift multi v pullies and a swift waterpump as a result. Theres a few different combinations with the offset of the pullies and reach of the waterpump (fan/no fan). Also theres 5 and 4 stud crank pullies I think?

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Thu May 14, 2015 11:02 pm

I presume mine is already running all the swift bits since that's what the block came out of. Can't remember how many bolts the crank is, 5 from memory. The crank pulley is a double one I assume the outer one is for air con? Which is a pain as it sits bloody close to my winch, be good to find a comparable single pulley.
Is EU era falcons that fit from memory? Should be easy n cheap to find at pickapart

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Postby Swamped » Thu May 14, 2015 11:11 pm

I thought there were a couple models and you needed the right one but theres lotsa options for the alt upgrade if you don't go ford. If someone doesn't confirm on here check out auszookers. My waterpump and alt are on one lane on the pulley and powersteer on the other.

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Thu May 14, 2015 11:20 pm

Ah yup so the 2nd one is power steer pump then. I havnt done that yet. By the looks of it you need the 64-98ish alternator from the 6 not the V8.
Seems some people report they bolt straight in, other mention about the having to modify the adjuster and drill the mount out, so must be a few slightly different variations. Can only go to pick apart and have a rummage I guess, should've kept my seized one to compare sizes. Either way I'll be cheaper than rebuilding or finding a spare vitara one, I'm guessing its an early car by one with the pulley changed that only 35 or 40amps or its on its last legs if it can't keep up with an electric fan that only has a 15amp fuse so can't be drawing anywhere near Max output. Voltage pretty stable around 14.1-14.4, dropt to around 12.7 with fan on. Dont have any lights etc wired up to check yet

Return to “Suzuki”