SJ413 rollbar ideas

Sausager
Hard Yaka

SJ413 rollbar ideas

Postby Sausager » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:50 pm

Hey guys. I'm keen to put a rollbar on my SJ ute, but I need some ideas. I have a few, but I'm not convinced its the best way. I just want a basic hoop behind the rear window with some supports. The main place I get stuck is where/how to mount it at the bottom. What have you guys done?

Cheers

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Re: SJ413 rollbar ideas

Postby 3VILC » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:52 pm

I forget how far back your cab is cut off, but could you go off the end of some sill bars my front and middle hoops are mounted at the ends of the sill bars which are welded to the chassis with some fairly hefty angle. The pics in my project thread may give you an idea. You could do a similar rear bar to tie backwards diagonals down to, thats how I'd like mine since I cut the roof off it looks a little odd but cage looks too well made to bring myself to chop it up n mess with it.
How's the project coming along otherwise?
I 'think' I've just got front hubs to rebuild, and temp gauge to plumb and wire and dare I say it might just be ready for some abuse
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

Sausager
Hard Yaka

Postby Sausager » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:40 am

Cheers for that. Do you reckon you could get me a pic of under the floor where your rear hoop mounts just in front of the rear wheels?

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:30 pm

I'll grab one when I'm in the shed on weekend. Pretty sure its just angle bar welded to the chassis rail both ends, can't remember if there's even a load spreader plate welded on.
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

Sausager
Hard Yaka

Postby Sausager » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:29 am

So I've been thinking a bit about this. I think the best way to connect the bottom of the hoop at the bottom is onto a rockslider. If the rockslider is welded to the body only, will this be strong enough to support a rollbar? Or should I support the rocksliders off the chassis?

I'm thinking 75x75 4mm Hardox angles (12-1400mPa) as sliders and 45mm OD x 1.6mm wall tube as the rollbar, with the same tube as rear stays down to the back of the chassis. If I weld to the chassis, I'm not quite sure what to use to space the sliders off the chassis. Probably RHS.

Am I on the right track? I have no experience with this sort of thing!

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:59 am

if its a ute and you only want a basic rollbar hoop behind the cab (B pillar) why cant you attach it to the chassis rails? maybe some pics of you truck would help getting some good advice and guidance :D

Sausager
Hard Yaka

Postby Sausager » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:52 am

derk wrote:if its a ute and you only want a basic rollbar hoop behind the cab (B pillar) why cant you attach it to the chassis rails? maybe some pics of you truck would help getting some good advice and guidance :D

Good idea.

Photos below

And this is roughly how I want it to be "laid out"

And for more pics see here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=42937

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:26 pm

what about two uprights welded to the chassis basiccaly going past the window frame edge then a top horizontal piece shaped to match the outer shape of the cab and then returning down and back into the uprights, a diagonal brace from the l/h/s chassis to the top r/h/s upright head peice

a lot harder to discribe and no real way of drawing a picture on the pc

some times the advice from ya kids can be invaluable at times

i will try taking a photo of the drawing and posting it :oops:

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:51 pm

ute rear bar.JPG

this may actually work :D

Sausager
Hard Yaka

Postby Sausager » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:48 am

Originally I had this below:

But the more I think about it, if I did roll, the bottom "legs" of the hoop (where it mounts on the chassis) are too close together and would have little/no integrity. I guess a diagonal brace would help. Nice pic Mudlva, but I think you'rs has the same problem - the base is too narrow. Are hoops like this usually connected to the body/cab as well?

Does anyone have any examples of rock sliders on an SJ?

lilpigzuk
Tiger Balm

Postby lilpigzuk » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:03 pm

Def need a diagonal brace in there. Mine is mounted to chassis in similar shape to yours but with a A style brace (B pillar hoop). Can get a pic if you want.

Sausager
Hard Yaka

Postby Sausager » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:05 pm

lilpigzuk wrote:Def need a diagonal brace in there. Mine is mounted to chassis in similar shape to yours but with a A style brace (B pillar hoop). Can get a pic if you want.

If you could mate, that'd be sweet. Cheers.

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:07 pm

Still getting round to getting in the shed in the daylight to get a pic of mine haha. Another common one for sliders on SJs is to chop the rusty sills out and replace with a decent thickness rectangle tube.
There is pictures of a cage on suzukiclub.co.uk somewhere that is bolted thru the body with plates either side.

mudzuki
Bush Crasher

Postby mudzuki » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:37 pm

Could use the same setup and add an A frame up from each chassis rail meeting in the center to stop it flexing sideways or crushing

lilpigzuk
Tiger Balm

Postby lilpigzuk » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:26 pm

Dunno if this will help, but give you another idea. The B hoop and rear diagonals mount directly to the top of the chassis rail, the A hoop mounts to outside of outriggers so has more outward support there

crossbrace just above floor at basem crossbrace at harness height

Return to “Suzuki”