Dinged sump on V6 Vitara

Kizuki
Winch master

Dinged sump on V6 Vitara

Postby Kizuki » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:07 pm

Hi all, we've clobbered the sump on the V6 and now its leaking at the join between the lower bowl and the main pan. (missed the alloy diff so I guess that's a bonus) How do you get the lower bowl off? it looks like I have to remove the front diff to get it out. I'm hoping its just broken the flange seal and with a bit of hammer work and gasket poo it'll be away again. Vit is off road only so a leak-proof fix is all that's required. I'm thinking a sump / diff guard might be a good idea. - Bugger!... If I had fitted the guard when I first thought of it, I wouldn't be in this mess!

churchill
Hard Yaka

Re: Dinged sump on V6 Vitara

Postby churchill » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:10 pm

You can get it off with the diff still in from memory.

Kizuki
Winch master

Postby Kizuki » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:25 am

Thanks, I'll look at it tomorrow evening.

Kizuki
Winch master

Postby Kizuki » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:51 pm

OK, the verdict is that the sump will come off with the diff still in the car, but the diff needs to be pulled forward to get it out. We removed the driveshaft and mount bolt at the diff head and loosened the rest of the diff mounts then, using a load binder, ratcheted it forward enough to remove the sump. Hope this helps any other poor suckers who end up with the same problem. Highly recommend a bash plate to avoid it in the first place

Return to “Suzuki”