foot-well leaks

Mas Mac
Driver/Navigator

foot-well leaks

Postby Mas Mac » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:06 pm

My Samurai leaks water into the driver's side foot well. I park it outside (no room in the garage) and every time it rains I have to put a towel under the rubber floor mat to try and dry it out, but it still stays damp or wet down there. This can only lead to a rusted and rotten floor, that will need replacing. I use her every day and want her to last as long as possible.

I squirted the garden hose down the ventilation slats on top of the bonnet (under the windscreen) and hooked out some moss from there with a screwdriver and also ran the hose up the two drain holes on the firewall. I think I have got all the silt and vegetation out of there but its still leaking. So what more can I do? Have any of you guys had this problem or got a solution?

Mas Mac
Driver/Navigator

Re: foot-well leaks

Postby Mas Mac » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:18 pm

26 views and no replies? Surely I'm not the only one with this problem?

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:41 pm

Mas Mac wrote:26 views and no replies? Surely I'm not the only one with this problem?

but maybe 26 who don't drive a samurai. I don't drive one. :)

what year/model is it? might help.

not getting under windscreen seal/rubber?
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

Mas Mac
Driver/Navigator

Postby Mas Mac » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:37 pm

Its a 1995 model.
1995 Sam 27-6-15 (5R).jpg

redzuki
Hard Yaka

Postby redzuki » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:01 am

The air vent where below the windscreen is the most common place for it to get in, make sure the drains in the engine bay are clear .

Next place id look would be by where the accelerator pedal mounts as this is a common rust spot . The front wheel well bolts on here and usually battery acid removes the paint leading to some rust holes .

Next would be the wheel well seams if the gaurds have been bashed in to fit bigger tires . The original seam sealer then fails and lets water in .

Another possible is make sure the aerial mounts have some silicon around them as water can come in here and run down the pillar into the foot well.

Hope that helps

Cheers Jamie

Mas Mac
Driver/Navigator

Postby Mas Mac » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:09 am

When I hosed water into the vents on top of the bonnet it immediately leaked into the foot-well, so the leak is definitely coming from the vents. I have forced water with a hose up the drain holes on the firewall to try and dislodge any crap up there and a certain amount of silt and vegetation came out, but I don't think I have completely cleared it using that method. Just wondering if anyone else experienced this problem and if so, how they solved it. As its my daily driver (and in almost mint condition) I don't want water accumulating in the foot-well.

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:38 am

Easiest way is block vent off by gluing a bit of ally plate over it. Proper way is remove dash to get to heater box take it out and give it a proper clean but big job

Return to “Suzuki”