Vitara/Escudo advice

theworldatlas
Winch master

Vitara/Escudo advice

Postby theworldatlas » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:51 pm

Hey all, had a taste of 4x4 with my L300 4WD but it doesn't have a very high ceiling on mods so I'm thinking about a Vitara as an ongoing project (seems like they can be pretty capable and don't carry the premium safaris and landcruisers etc do). From what i've read 1.6l is the way to go, but looking for some advice on the long wheelbase vs the short, is there good aftermarket support for both (is much different?) ? I can see pros and cons on both but be keen for someone more knowledgeable to give their 2c. Any other advice or things to look for when buying would be appreciated too.

Cheers

churchill
Hard Yaka

Re: Vitara/Escudo advice

Postby churchill » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:29 pm

Short wheel base if you don't need the space, my lwb bottomed out a lot even with a 50mm suspension lift. Front diffs and CV's and rear axles are a little weak so carry spares or drive gently. They're cheap to modify and are light so go pretty well.

theworldatlas
Winch master

Postby theworldatlas » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:36 pm

How do you find the lwb aside from that? I'd love the extra seats ideally. I guess its also more weight to lug around when its already pretty low on power. Seen some nice builds for both wheel bases online.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:08 pm

LWB usually better on hill climbs and climbing up ledges that sort of thing.

LWB Vit is still shorter than a SWB Safari. A SWB Safari is bumper to bumper pretty much the same length as a 4 door Surf.

The Vits are a good solid 4x4 with good suspension design for a IFS truck. Suspension is easy as to mod with good gains. For cheapness, fit coil spacers front and rear and do the joint flip up front. Strip the plastic bumpers off, fit some 30 X 9.5 tyres, tow hooks, spade, compressor and a snatch strap and get out there!!!

The only real weak point is the alloy front diff housing.

That is a good thing, as it teaches you mechanical sympathy. In other words it forces you to learn how to drive off road properly, as opposed to just attacking everything like a muppet at full noise and bouncing and breaking stuff, which anyone can do :lol:

One you master that with the 1.6L, you can then move onto something with heaps more grunt and a similar light weight construction and know how to pedal it to use the extra hp and keep it hanging together :D :D
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

churchill
Hard Yaka

Postby churchill » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:21 pm

Other than bottoming out and the extra weight the lwb's are good, there is a lot more space and an extra 2 doors. I would look at a manual gearbox if you want the 1.6, I've been out with an auto 1.6 a few times and its just not torquey enough for the transmission gearing.

theworldatlas
Winch master

Postby theworldatlas » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:21 am

Thanks a lot for the advice. Slightly erring on the side of the LWB but will see whats out there. 1.6 and a manual (always!) it is.

Return to “Suzuki”