Installing an Air Locker in the front of an Escudo

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Installing an Air Locker in the front of an Escudo

Postby Crawlerer79 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:41 pm

Guys, I was just wondering how hard is it to fit a ARB copy air locker to the front of an Escudo. Is it a DIY job, or would I be better to take it to a shop. What is involved and if I'm best to take it in to a shop, is there anyone you'd recommend to do so in Christchurch? Thanks guys
Last edited by Crawlerer79 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'The Big Truck' - 2001 TD5 Disco II
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco
'The Caramel Trophy Truck" - 1990 Disco Ex-Camel Trophy (?)

derk
Hard Yaka

Re: Installating an Air Locker in the front of an Escudo

Postby derk » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:46 pm

setting the diff up ie installing C&P and setting preload, mesh and backlash isn't a DIY job and can easily result it the diff eventually going "bang" but installing the diff into the truck once its been set up is an easy DIY job :D

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:54 pm

derk wrote:setting the diff up ie installing C&P and setting preload, mesh and backlash isn't a DIY job and can easily result it the diff eventually going "bang" but installing the diff into the truck once its been set up is an easy DIY job :D

So I should take the diff head out myself, then off with it to a shop and then re install the head myself? How hard is running the air supply? Thanks
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

churchill
Hard Yaka

Postby churchill » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:15 pm

Fairly easy, you only need to set the backlash. Don't touch the pinion depth. You will need 26 spline cv's and a RHS cv support bush, if it's late model with the vacuum diff disconnect it's a bit more fiddly but doable. Drill a hole through the diff head for the air supply but think about where it has to go carefully as I didn't and ended up hitting the sump.
The locker is great for traction but hard on the cv's and free wheeling hubs.

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:46 pm

churchill wrote:You will need 26 spline cv's

So does this mean I need a replacement or I just need to have a vehicle w/ 26 spline CVs? Because my Zook fits between the specified years that the locker I'm looking at is designed for.

churchill wrote:and a RHS cv support bush

Is this a part that should be replaced during the install?

churchill wrote:if it's late model with the vacuum diff disconnect it's a bit more fiddly but doable.

How can I tell if I have a vacuum disconnect? Mine's a 1991

Thanks for the help, is there anything else that should be replaced while I'm at it. I'd imagine it's a good opportunity to get to things....

Also, would you say the whole thing'd a DIY job, as 'derk' doesn't seem to think so :D
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

Jafa
Hard Yaka

Postby Jafa » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:29 pm

Its pretty easy, as Churchill said, you dont mess with the pinion at all, just measure the backlash before you remove the carrier from the pumpkin, put the crown wheel onto your locker, then bolt it back in, and duplicate your backlash (assuming its within spec)
Here is a link to the ARB instructions, and its not for a suzuki locker, but the theory is the same.
http://www.4wd.com/aux_incl/pdf.ashx?pdf=ARB_RD114_INS_1.pdf&line=ARB

Have a read and you'll know if you can handle it or not, otherwise take the lot into a diff shop and pony up.
'85 Hilux crawler, 3rz, duals, 4.7's, 4.88's, ARB's, 30 spline Longfields, 6 stud SNR4x4 Histeer, Airshocks up front, coiled rear, 40" Iroks.
^^^this shite is all about to change....^^^

021 273 9942
jafa@inspire.net.nz

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:02 am

Jafa wrote:Its pretty easy, as Churchill said, you dont mess with the pinion at all, just measure the backlash before you remove the carrier from the pumpkin, put the crown wheel onto your locker, then bolt it back in, and duplicate your backlash (assuming its within spec)
Here is a link to the ARB instructions, and its not for a suzuki locker, but the theory is the same.
http://www.4wd.com/aux_incl/pdf.ashx?pdf=ARB_RD114_INS_1.pdf&line=ARB

Have a read and you'll know if you can handle it or not, otherwise take the lot into a diff shop and pony up.

Righty, thanks for that. We're gonna be doing them on our RRC and Discovery, so I guess depending how that goes we'll see what happens.... definitely keen to do it ourselves (with Dad's help :D )
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

churchill
Hard Yaka

Postby churchill » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:42 pm

As Jafa said don't touch the pinion and set the back lash and preload up to factory specs.

Side bush information. Later model but same front diff. It stops oil leaking and aligns the cv much better.
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/2g-1999-2005-vitara-grand-vitara/37371-front-dif-loose-drive-shaft.html

I would replace the axle seals as well, don't touch the pinion seal unless it's leaking.

The vacuum disconnect models don't have free wheel hubs. 1991 shouldn't have this.

26 spilne cv's are harder to tell, you really have to remove a cv from the diff to find this out. If yours is not you can by them from a wrecker. I get the feeling that you if yours is not 26 spline you have to get the whole cv assembly along with the free wheel hub system to do the conversion. Anyone else had experience with this?

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:35 pm

churchill wrote:I get the feeling that you if yours is not 26 spline you have to get the whole cv assembly along with the free wheel hub system to do the conversion.

The add say's for '91 to '93 models.... so I'd assume it should go straight in????
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:36 pm

Well, I now got myself a front locker :D
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

churchill
Hard Yaka

Postby churchill » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:50 pm

How did you get on?

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Re: Installing an Air Locker in the front of an Escudo

Postby Crawlerer79 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:15 am

churchill wrote:How did you get on?

I just bought the TM listing.... yet to pick it up or start the installation. Got it for a steal tho haha :D :D :D
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

Return to “Suzuki”