Suzuki Samurai Advice

jimmyf8
Bush Crasher

Suzuki Samurai Advice

Postby jimmyf8 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:13 pm

Hey guys,

Was hoping for a bit of advice.

My elderly neighbours own a 1993 Suzuki Samurai with 175,000kms. I have been asking them to sell it to me for years and they finally gave me a call after putting a deposit down on a Jimny.

I had a good look at it today. It is reasonably tidy. It has had two previous rust issues which they have had fixed properly. Otherwise the body seems to be in good condition. It is completely standard and has been regularly maintained.

So I'm wondering what sort of price I should be offering??

The one thing to note is there is a small amount of milky build up in the oil cap... I couldn't see any moisture on the dipstick. It hasn't overheated before. It doesn't blow white smoke when it is warm. I have done some research and obviously it can indicate head gasket. But it can also indicate moisture in the engine from cold temperatures; which we do get here in Christchurch. They use it as a shopping trolley so only drive it very short distances. Apparently engine temps usually disperse the moisture but if it is only driven short distances it can cause the milky build up.

So also looking for your thoughts on this??

Thanks in advance!! :D :D :D

Pj_Marsh
Hard Yaka

Re: Suzuki Samurai Advice

Postby Pj_Marsh » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:26 pm

Seen that milky stuff under the cap before and it was from a truck that only got driven very short distances. Solution might be a decent test drive and check it after

jimmyf8
Bush Crasher

Postby jimmyf8 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:32 pm

Pj_Marsh wrote:Seen that milky stuff under the cap before and it was from a truck that only got driven very short distances. Solution might be a decent test drive and check it after

Yeah think I might have to give that a go. It seems to have been meticulously maintained and it also seems to be common for vehicles driven short distances.

Sausager
Hard Yaka

Postby Sausager » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:41 pm

jimmyf8 wrote:
Pj_Marsh wrote:Seen that milky stuff under the cap before and it was from a truck that only got driven very short distances. Solution might be a decent test drive and check it after

Yeah think I might have to give that a go. It seems to have been meticulously maintained and it also seems to be common for vehicles driven short distances.

I get the same with my Primera. Short drives - especially lots of them on cold starts - gives the milky slime under the cap. As mentioned above, go for a long drive with it well up to temp and then have a look.

As for money, it's really hard. I'd say they generally go for $4k-$6k depending on condition, extras, etc. I'd start there somewhere.

Sounds like a good car!

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:58 am

Off them $2k and see what happens :D
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

Tumor
Hard Yaka

Postby Tumor » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:17 am

jimmyf8 wrote:Hey guys,

Was hoping for a bit of advice.

My elderly neighbours own a 1993 Suzuki Samurai with 175,000kms. I have been asking them to sell it to me for years and they finally gave me a call after putting a deposit down on a Jimny.

I had a good look at it today. It is reasonably tidy. It has had two previous rust issues which they have had fixed properly. Otherwise the body seems to be in good condition. It is completely standard and has been regularly maintained.

So I'm wondering what sort of price I should be offering??

The one thing to note is there is a small amount of milky build up in the oil cap... I couldn't see any moisture on the dipstick. It hasn't overheated before. It doesn't blow white smoke when it is warm. I have done some research and obviously it can indicate head gasket. But it can also indicate moisture in the engine from cold temperatures; which we do get here in Christchurch. They use it as a shopping trolley so only drive it very short distances. Apparently engine temps usually disperse the moisture but if it is only driven short distances it can cause the milky build up.

So also looking for your thoughts on this??

Thanks in advance!! :D :D :D

Pretty sure that milky build up stuff is from a blown head gasket. Dont quote me on that but i'm pretty sure its something like that.
Ln106. 2.8TD 35s, RUF, 4.5 diff ratios, 2003 HiLux leafs in rear...... plenty of flex
Life is better off-road

Return to “Suzuki”