Vitara 1.6 engine Vs 2L engine

samurai
Bush Crasher

Vitara 1.6 engine Vs 2L engine

Postby samurai » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:40 pm

Hi all,

I was hunting for a good Vitara and found a 2000 Grand Vitara shorty with J20A engine, done just over 200k only issue air con need a re gas.

I was wondering why lots of 93- 94 model 1.6's going way above the price of this 2000 model?

regards
JC

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Re: Vitara 1.6 engine Vs 2L engine

Postby Crawlerer79 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:58 pm

I believe the J20A engine is the one everyone wants to get. Has plenty of grunt compared to the 1.6s but doesn't have the head issues that some of the V6s have. I had a first gen. 1.6 and wasn't quick, felt like it needed a bit more. But they hold their value amazingly. I don't know why, but they are just the ones to have compared with the second gen. ones... Personally I think that those second gen. ones can be a real steal because they just don't have that following. If you can get your hands on a J20A, you've got the one everyone wants. There was one on Trade Me recently which went for far more than the V6s of similar mileage etc go for... Anyways, that's my thought :mrgreen:
'The Big Truck' - 2001 TD5 Disco II
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco
'The Caramel Trophy Truck" - 1990 Disco Ex-Camel Trophy (?)

samurai
Bush Crasher

Postby samurai » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:28 pm

I got 3 cars to decide,

1996 Jimny 1.6 manual done 227k - ($3750) mint truck never seen mud
1995 Escudo 1.6 Auto done 194k ($3500) need cambelt and wof and small low rev miss/ shudder
2000 Grand Vitara 2.0 (J20A) manual done 215k ($3500) Good condition, need A/C re gassed

unsure which one to pick

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:10 pm

Just my thoughts...

samurai wrote:I got 3 cars to decide,

1996 Jimny 1.6 manual done 227k - ($3750) mint truck never seen mud Very good price! Almost sounds too good to be true... going off the info there, that sounds like a good deal
1995 Escudo 1.6 Auto done 194k ($3500) need cambelt and wof and small low rev miss/ shudder Pass on that, way too many problems for the money. If it's the auto you're after, theres plenty better auto 'scuds on Trade me for that money.
2000 Grand Vitara 2.0 (J20A) manual done 215k ($3500) Good condition, need A/C re gassed Has the J20A so thats a win in my books, A/C is no biggie at all. Depends if you mind having IFS really... the Jimny and this are pretty similar IMO, so might come down to this plus the extra room of the GV. Does depend on what you want to be doing too

unsure which one to pick

Hope that helps. Not very detailed but a few ideas. Just steer clear of the middle one for that money I'd say haha
Last edited by Crawlerer79 on Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

samurai
Bush Crasher

Postby samurai » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:22 am

Hope that helps. Not very detailed but a few ideas. Just steer clear of the middle one for that money I'd say haha[/quote]

That was so helpful so i gave up to the auto.

So now i got only 2 cars to decide, basically this is just to go to the beach and some Sunday drive + tow "small" trailer.

I have seen somewhere else said J20A was not good as G16A for rev??? We rev to red mark J20A would fall a part but G16A love to rev and no issues.

Grand Vitara - in RED little bit of clear coat but very few, i like it because of the 1 year WOF, need to tidy the inside little bit

Vitara - Most tidiest i have ever seen, carpets are clean as, could take back to the showroom after roof repaint :D

Just found a 1995 5 door Vitara 1.6 Auto done 210K - in good condition - (bonnet paint faded) for $1700 - What do you think about that?

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:48 pm

Hard to gauge a bargain vehicle only based on price and km. Does it run well, good acceleration and decent power for you for hills? Does it drive nicely and do you find it comfortable? Is it in good physical condition, dents rust scratches or is it too rough for your liking?
An auto is great off road and potentially better on sand than a manual, but you have to like driving an auto to buy one.
Nothing at all wrong with 1600 motors, we have an early Vitara, manual though, but it revs and pulls like a school boy, Loses power to the bigger tyres on road, but off road which is what we bought it for, it if sweet. I chose manual as it is primarily for my kids to learn to drive in and I reckon everyone should be able to drive a stick.
You have chosen a good vehicle platform, now you need to choose which one suits your needs best.
Happy 4wding.

samurai
Bush Crasher

Postby samurai » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:13 am

Smurf wrote:Hard to gauge a bargain vehicle only based on price and km. Does it run well, good acceleration and decent power for you for hills? Does it drive nicely and do you find it comfortable? Is it in good physical condition, dents rust scratches or is it too rough for your liking?
An auto is great off road and potentially better on sand than a manual, but you have to like driving an auto to buy one.
Nothing at all wrong with 1600 motors, we have an early Vitara, manual though, but it revs and pulls like a school boy, Loses power to the bigger tyres on road, but off road which is what we bought it for, it if sweet. I chose manual as it is primarily for my kids to learn to drive in and I reckon everyone should be able to drive a stick.
You have chosen a good vehicle platform, now you need to choose which one suits your needs best.
Happy 4wding.

Appreciate the input mate, i have no longer interested about AUTO

As Crawlerer79 said they pretty gutless

Left with a 1 1993 manual 3 door Vitara JLX with carb model - bit of paint faded done 206 genuine km $2200

and 2000 Grand Vitara J20A manual 3 door for $3200

unsure the carb model is worth as i don't know much about carb model

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:03 pm

IMO your best bet is to go and test drive some, see what you like and don't like. The autos are a bit slow, but if you're wanting a speed machine, there's better things out there than a VIt ahaha. See what's around, test drive ones for sale and talk with maybe guys from the Suzuki club... put together in your mind the ideal Suzuki for your needs. Then you just have to wait for the right one to come along, might take a while but in the long run you'll get the vehicle you really want, rather than buying the best one on the market at the time. Idk if you have the time to wait, but if so, I'd recommend seeing what you like and don't like and go from there
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

samurai
Bush Crasher

Postby samurai » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:08 am

Crawlerer79 wrote:IMO your best bet is to go and test drive some, see what you like and don't like. The autos are a bit slow, but if you're wanting a speed machine, there's better things out there than a VIt ahaha. See what's around, test drive ones for sale and talk with maybe guys from the Suzuki club... put together in your mind the ideal Suzuki for your needs. Then you just have to wait for the right one to come along, might take a while but in the long run you'll get the vehicle you really want, rather than buying the best one on the market at the time. Idk if you have the time to wait, but if so, I'd recommend seeing what you like and don't like and go from there

I have actually test all of the Zuke's and as you said the AUTO's not my choice anymore, So only going to stick with Manual model.

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:07 pm

Oh sweet, then yea definitely put together an ideal vehicle in your mind and then wait for it to come along... best way to end up with a vehicle ya happy with. Buying just what's best on the market at the time doesn't always work out with your ideal vehicle in the long run... as me how I know hahah :roll:
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

samurai
Bush Crasher

Postby samurai » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:01 am

Crawlerer79 wrote:Oh sweet, then yea definitely put together an ideal vehicle in your mind and then wait for it to come along... best way to end up with a vehicle ya happy with. Buying just what's best on the market at the time doesn't always work out with your ideal vehicle in the long run... as me how I know hahah :roll:

I think i made a good move with this Suzi. (paid $3300)

206 on the clock
1 year WOF and 1 year REG
New clutch kit
New rare gas shocks (they were cheap - bill shows $120 pair)
J20A engine
looked after
No rust at all - may be never on seen a beach with this wheels ( it was struggle to get into Muriwai beach entrance as lots of soft sand)

I got the Suzi on Y'day and A/C wasn't working so paid 70 recharge kit from SuperCheap and recharged the system and manage to get that going.

Need to tidy inside little bit but nothing major.

Below link show the truck
https://ibb.co/fHbHDc

i am sure this need good set of rubber :) :) :)

Thank you guys for the help

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:32 pm

Good stuff! From the photo, I gotta say I like it! Now the expensive stuff begins :lol:
Tyres and a small lift makes a huge difference, I didn't realise how much until I went for a drive in a stock vit and comparing it to my old one (2" suspension and 2" body and 29s), the difference is night and day
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

Return to “Suzuki”