How to: SJ413 Sill guards

icekayak
Hard Yaka

How to: SJ413 Sill guards

Postby icekayak » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:54 pm

Note: I am planning on getting my truck certified once i have reached a first stage in modifying it. So I give no advice to the legality of it, and if it will pass a wof, require certification, or even pass certification.

The sills on the Samurai (and SJ413/SJ410) are faily light metal so are easy to dent, and there is a lack of high-lift jacking points to lift the zuk off. I was always planning on welding the angle onto the body to attach them, however with a number of different things happening at once i didn't want to fix them in place permanantly just yet, however i probably will do in the future... as these will also have sidebars attached to them in the future and possibly have a cage tie into them :)
Another potential issue is the buildup of moisture under them so at least bolt on ones i can remove and clean, if their welded i may remove the sheet metal from behind them. Now i have seen the bolt on the idea of leaving them removeable is starting to grow on me... You could add chassis supports to them but i decided it didn't need them at this stage, there is a large surface area along the bottom of the sills to spread the load.
Enough of that for now...

Step 1
Got 1.2m of 4mm x 100mm x100mm RHS (Cost approx $30)
I cut the RHS in half to create 2 Angle L shaped section.
(Why didn't i just get angle you ask, and why did i use 4mm... I wanted 3mm but the guy accidently gave me the wrong thickness and i didn't realise till i got home and decided it wasn't worth swapping. Angle only came in 6mm thick minimum which was too thick... 50x50 would also work but i liked the look of the 100)

Step 2
Hammer the weld on the bottom of the sill flat.

Step 3
Got 8x 100mm nuts & bolts, 16x big washers, 8x split washers
Drilled through and bolted them in, careful not to crush the sills too much...
Note if i was leaving it permantly bolted i would use bigger plates on the back instead of the washers. Possibly even a strip of 3mmx50mm thick flat bar or something???

Done :)

Sausager
Hard Yaka

Re: How to: SJ413 Sill guards

Postby Sausager » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:51 am

Any chance of these photos being fixed?

Return to “Suzuki”