Tell me about the first Gen Mitsi Challenger

GWH
Winch master

Tell me about the first Gen Mitsi Challenger

Postby GWH » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:44 pm

Hi guys,

Im looking to get something a big bigger and more comfy than my current hunting wagon (stock 96 5 door vitara with mud terrains)

I quite like the first gen Challengers. I dont know a lot about them. I know they do a 3L V6 petrol, and a 2.8L diesel turbo.

What are these trucks like, engines, trans etc, and how do they go offroad just with some decent mud terrains etc, nothing to serious.

Do they have diff lockers etc.

Any info or feedback appreciated.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: Tell me about the first Gen Mitsi Challenger

Postby Crash bandicoot » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:51 pm

The first gen challenger is basically a second gen pajero under neath hence the 3 litre v6 and 2.8 turbo diesel...sound familiar?

stay away from the 3 litre v6, especially now they are getting on a bit, if the valve stem seals haven't started leaking they will shortly.

you want a post 2000 with the coil suspension but you want to stay away from the 03 to 06 models as they were made in china instead of japan.

so after all that they are basically a pajero, which are more popular and have a bigger parts availability so if you haven't guessed what I am about to say next, just get a 2nd gen pajero. 2.8 TD
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

COOCX
Driver/Navigator

Postby COOCX » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:45 pm

Hi GWH,

Ive got the 2.8tD 1996 Challenger, absolutely love it. Great truck to drive - its done 220 odd k Ive done my share of preventative maintenance on it and it runs like a dream, blows zero smoke and would have to be one of the quietest, most comfortable diesels Ive driven. Cheap to run also. Cheap to lift!! (altho only to a maximum of 30mm - Ive done a 50mm body lift to mine also)

Ive had to do the starter motor as a result of a few too many river crossings but other than that its great.

As Crash said, I highly recommend staying away from the petrol ones also. I had a mate with one and his had nothing but issues (98) and another mate of mine who works for Mitsubishi also stressed about staying away from them too. (Something about the fuel in Japan is a lot higher in Octane than ours and these engines tend to carbon up badly due to NZ's low octane - especially when every one runs 91 in them due to the cost of fueling the big beasts, not to mention you only get 400 - 450km to a tank around $140 to fill!)

Im looking to fit an independent trans cooler in mine as I want to run 33's and I also do alot of towing, larger exhaust should also add some extra pep too.

Personally I think the Challs' are a far better looking unit than the Pajies (although some Pajies do come as a 7 seater if that's what your looking for) they both have identical running gear/chassis etc.

Off road ability is fairly rubbish to be honest as the open diffs are close to useless - this can easily be overcome by either Air/Auto or Electronic lockers. In saying that the 'SuperSelect' 4wd drive system in them is great. Giving the ability to change from 2x4 to 4x4 on the fly can be helpfull.

Like any truck - look after it and it'll look after you! Hope this helps :D

GWH
Winch master

Postby GWH » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:15 pm

Thanks for the replys lads. Great info thanks COOCX, and yeah I agree the challengers are a heaps better looking truck than the pajeros ;-)

The 'Lokka' auto lockers sound like the go for the front end.

Good to know not to touch the V6's.

Cheers again.

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:05 pm

auto lockers as best in the rear in the front a pig to drive
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

Return to “Mitsubishi”