Got the new challenger. :(

sublimenz
Bush Crasher

Got the new challenger. :(

Postby sublimenz » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:12 pm

finally got her home in one piece.
Took it in for a check over with my local mechanic today even though it has a brand new W.O.F only to be told it should never have passed let alone be on the road.
So now its in storage awaiting a land transport inspector to come and check it.
It needs 4 new brake lines,
both top and bottom balljoints both sides plus locking pins were missing.
New shocks (there is none in NZ and have to be imported from oz ) .
front and rear sway bar bushes plus drawbar is bent out of shape.
So all in all its going to be a very expensive fix for someone ( sure as hell wont be me )
Moral of the story is dont buy sight unseen of trademe even if the wof is new. :evil:

Marco Polo
Hard Yaka

Re: Got the new challenger. :(

Postby Marco Polo » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:58 pm

Been there, done that. Hope the p.o. and WOF man get what they deserve.
How hard can it be?

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:15 pm

Shit, suck
Hope it works out for ya.

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:02 pm

that's all normal maintenance shit for an old vehicle mate and that's why you never buy shit sight unseen unless your prepared to take a risk :D

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:25 pm

derk wrote:that's all normal maintenance shit for an old vehicle mate and that's why you never buy shit sight unseen unless your prepared to take a risk :D

He is right.
Considering the price you got it for its still cheap as, try building the truck from a factory to where it is now, you would be looking in excess of $10k.
Not to mention the time

The parts needed to get it up to scratch if your smart should cost no more than $1000.

For the shocks try "autolign" there's a shop in Mt Wellington Auckland. They are masters at finding the right springs/shocks and you will not find beter for price

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:06 pm

hey just out of interest mate I just re-read the trademe listing what's wrong with the old man emu shocks in it those things usually last for ever :?:

sublimenz
Bush Crasher

Postby sublimenz » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:11 pm

derk wrote:hey just out of interest mate I just re-read the trademe listing what's wrong with the old man emu shocks in it those things usually last for ever :?:

Bottom bushes were totally shagged out. the squeak was almost unbearable on the long drive home

sublimenz
Bush Crasher

Postby sublimenz » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:13 pm

derk wrote:that's all normal maintenance shit for an old vehicle mate and that's why you never buy shit sight unseen unless your prepared to take a risk :D

Thats all well and good buts its also all a WOF issue and considering the WOF was 3days old when I picked it so expected the truck to be in a safe driveable condition Not an accident looking for a place to happen.

sublimenz
Bush Crasher

Postby sublimenz » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:19 pm

J_Dub wrote:

He is right.
Considering the price you got it for its still cheap as, try building the truck from a factory to where it is now, you would be looking in excess of $10k.
Not to mention the time

The parts needed to get it up to scratch if your smart should cost no more than $1000.

For the shocks try "autolign" there's a shop in Mt Wellington Auckland. They are masters at finding the right springs/shocks and you will not find beter for price

Thanks I kind of jumped the gun and went straight to the local ARB dealer and brought brand new emu ones but they have to come from oz as there is none in nz.
Payed $400 so abit less than I expected.
I think the biggest thing will be the brake lines, they are longer than factory due to the lift so will have to try ENZED or the likes and get them custom made.

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:28 pm

getting brake hoses made up is never cheep mate just pull the old ones out and take them down to bnt or some brake place and they should be able to match you up something that'll fit for your lift :D are the old hoses damaged or starting to perish?

sublimenz
Bush Crasher

Postby sublimenz » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:34 pm

derk wrote:getting brake hoses made up is never cheep mate just pull the old ones out and take them down to bnt or some brake place and they should be able to match you up something that'll fit for your lift :D are the old hoses damaged or starting to perish?

Good idea I never thought of that. The 2 front are damaged and leaking slightly onto the rotors and 1 of the rears are cracked but not leaking as of yet.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:02 pm

So ya going to have to strip the brakes and clean them too, bugger :cry:
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

sublimenz
Bush Crasher

Postby sublimenz » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:09 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:So ya going to have to strip the brakes and clean them too, bugger :cry:

yeh. I may as well do a complete overhaul while I have it all apart do it right first time so I dont have to do it again for awhile.
I have most of the tools to do the work and what I dont I will sneak home while the wifey is out and pretend I always had them :wink:

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:59 pm

sublimenz wrote:
derk wrote:hey just out of interest mate I just re-read the trademe listing what's wrong with the old man emu shocks in it those things usually last for ever :?:

Bottom bushes were totally shagged out. the squeak was almost unbearable on the long drive home

Um buy new bushes????

sublimenz
Bush Crasher

Postby sublimenz » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:14 pm

KIWI_TERRANO wrote:
sublimenz wrote:

Um buy new bushes????

Going by ARB they are a pressed bush with an inner and outer metal casing so cant be replaced it has to be a whole new unit :(
I tried that option first of all

cornflake
Hard Yaka

Postby cornflake » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:34 pm

Going by ARB they are a pressed bush with an inner and outer metal casing so cant be replaced it has to be a whole new unit :(
I tried that option first of all[/quote]

anything can be replaced think they just want ur money i got my presed out and got nilon with crush tubes put in in my rear shocks

that saying cant be replaced
cost me 40 bucks i think

mumbls
Hard Yaka

Postby mumbls » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:46 am

sublimenz wrote:

Thats all well and good buts its also all a WOF issue and considering the WOF was 3days old when I picked it so expected the truck to be in a safe driveable condition Not an accident looking for a place to happen.

Prior to purchasing, you should have inspected it. Simple.
Fuk off with our whinging. Accident waiting to happen..... Seriously. Were you buying a 2014 corolla with 25,000kms on it? No!
What did you expect? A ~20yr old 4wd modified recreational vehicle with 'all the fruit' to handle like a brand new range rover?
No sympathy, you got a bargain! Get used to dealing with the problems of a ~20yr old 4wd...........
Next you will be complaining it blows a little black smoke on acceleration.

Enjoy the beast of a wagon that you bought at an exceptional price.
drinking hatorgade

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:24 am

I don't think he is complaining about the maintenance required, as such.
More that if it had just got a WOF, then those maintenance/repair issues should have already been addressed.

sublimenz
Bush Crasher

Postby sublimenz » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:35 pm

mumbls wrote:
sublimenz wrote:

Prior to purchasing, you should have inspected it. Simple.
Fuk off with our whinging. Accident waiting to happen..... Seriously. Were you buying a 2014 corolla with 25,000kms on it? No!
What did you expect? A ~20yr old 4wd modified recreational vehicle with 'all the fruit' to handle like a brand new range rover?
No sympathy, you got a bargain! Get used to dealing with the problems of a ~20yr old 4wd...........
Next you will be complaining it blows a little black smoke on acceleration.

Enjoy the beast of a wagon that you bought at an exceptional price.

You really are a special kind of stupid arent you :lol:
I dont have a problem with general maintainence and expected to have to do a few things on purchase.

The problem being as this heap of shit shouldnt have been on the road at all so how am I supposed to enjoy it.
But the one thing you did manage to get right was that yes I should have got an inspection done but seeing as the wof was 3 days old who would have thought that all the issues are major (yes major ) W.O.F failures so any decent W.O.F issuer would have picked them up.

Now go back under your bridge little troll and let the adults talk.
Last edited by sublimenz on Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sublimenz
Bush Crasher

Postby sublimenz » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:38 pm

BlakeNZ wrote:I don't think he is complaining about the maintenance required, as such.
More that if it had just got a WOF, then those maintenance/repair issues should have already been addressed.

And thats exactly it. Maintenance I dont have a problem with I expect it especially when I also own an even older 4x4 I know it wont come cheap.
Its when a vehicle has a brand new W.O.F and fails on numerous safety items that should have failed straight away is where the problems start.

Pj_Marsh
Hard Yaka

Postby Pj_Marsh » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:00 pm

I did the brake lines on my '40 the other day, got some stainless steel tube from ebay and a second hand pipe cutter from trade me. All up, with the fittings coming from the same place as the tube it cost me about $60

sublimenz
Bush Crasher

Postby sublimenz » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:09 pm

Pj_Marsh wrote:I did the brake lines on my '40 the other day, got some stainless steel tube from ebay and a second hand pipe cutter from trade me. All up, with the fittings coming from the same place as the tube it cost me about $60

The brake lines are flexi lines so cant do it that way :( I have all the gears to do them.
Because they are longer than factory. (done for the lift) I cant buy off the shelf.
But in saying that BnT did me a good deal at $30 a corner and that Im happy with

bang-thud-thump
Hard Yaka

Postby bang-thud-thump » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:04 am

Out if interest where did you end up with this re the sus WOF and who paid?

sublimenz
Bush Crasher

Postby sublimenz » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:50 pm

bang-thud-thump wrote:Out if interest where did you end up with this re the sus WOF and who paid?

At this point I Have paid out but just awaiting the vehicle licencing report to come back which isnt looking good for the WOF station and seemingly its not there first offence either and then its off to small claims court to recover costs from the WOF issuer.
The truck was actually worse than first thought so it will be very costly for them in the finish.

bang-thud-thump
Hard Yaka

Postby bang-thud-thump » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:14 pm

Sounds like an arse to get sorted.
I have looked at so many trucks that were good on trade me and crap in person due to lack of servicing- and thats stockers.

I have also sold 3 vehicle sight unseen with no issues. Dunno why people do it. You never know who you may have tucked, could be more trouble than its worth.

Who did the WOF just for the record?

sublimenz
Bush Crasher

Postby sublimenz » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:21 pm

bang-thud-thump wrote:Sounds like an arse to get sorted.
I have looked at so many trucks that were good on trade me and crap in person due to lack of servicing- and thats stockers.

I have also sold 3 vehicle sight unseen with no issues. Dunno why people do it. You never know who you may have tucked, could be more trouble than its worth.

Who did the WOF just for the record?

Onto the last job now which is replacing front dif but I should have at least checked that out before driving off so that repair falls back onto me which is fair enough.

The place that did the WOF was Drivesure Manakau.
The biggest thing for me is not the cost at the end of the day its the safety aspect and how many other unsafe cars they have let onto the road. Some poor mum and kids could end up killed because of these guys and thats why I am going to the lengths I am.

I always try and be as honest as I can when selling my old cars and I know they are genuinely safe when I sell them as the Mech I use is a hard ass.

Return to “Mitsubishi”