4m40t flywheel swap

dvkpajero
Winch master

4m40t flywheel swap

Postby dvkpajero » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:41 pm

hay did a search but couldn't find the answer, has anyone changed the dual mass flywheel in there 4m40t 2.8 turbo ? mine has a bad rattle at idle goes away over 1000rpm guessing a clutch spring has collapsed or the dmf is packing up so just want to find what options i have before it happens. carn't find anyway to work out if mine has a dmf or smf as they came with both but looking thru the inspection hole definitely looks like a dmf.

does any one know if theres a soild flywheel from another model that will fit? or where to buy conversion kits? google only brings up uk and oz companys
cheers

slide
Hard Yaka

Re: 4m40t flywheel swap

Postby slide » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:36 pm

dvkpajero wrote: can't find anyway to work out if mine has a dmf or smf as they came with both...

Looks like you answered your own question there

churchill
Hard Yaka

Postby churchill » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:03 pm

Exedy in Auckland do DMF and SMF kits for a lot of engines.

SMF's are cheaper but will put more fatigue load on your crank and gearbox components. In saying that there has been lots of successful conversions but I don't know how long they last.

Here's a link to how a DMF works:

Here's some pro's and con's from Exedy Australia.

dvkpajero
Winch master

Postby dvkpajero » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:07 pm

Yeah pretty sure its a dmf, just woundering if there was a way to tell for sure vin number, code somewhere etc?

yeah have done abit of reading and seems to be more pros than cons, so keen to give it a go. Yeah finally got someone at exedy nz that knew what i wanted looking about $1500 for clutch and flywheel which i thought wasnt to bad.

Thanks

spanky
Hard Yaka

Postby spanky » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:21 pm

go to a smf and you wont notice any difference,car makers use dmf to reduce noise vibration and harshness,on ford transits that are used for towing they replace the dmf with a normal setup,at my old job we had all ours replaced by ford at their cost after 2 new new vans shit the dmf while towing.they are not suited to modified cars either,all our work utes we buy now are auto to get away from this crap setup and the weak manual boxes they put behind the grunty late model diesels.

dvkpajero
Winch master

Postby dvkpajero » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:06 pm

jus for anyone else looking at doing this, finished mine over the weekend and took for a small play up the river and in the mud today. i used the exedy smf kit cost me $1300ish had a slight issue where the instructions told me to use the spacer off the old flywheel that goes under the bolt heads but this caused the bolt heads to hit on the clutch plate springs so ended up going with out seems sweet so far.

idle is silent, under load is a little bit of noise from the box now rotational sound could just be that i havent driven it for afew weeks and not used to it will be checking it over next few days so far drives just liking it did before so im happy. defiantly better in the mud over the dmf

Return to “Mitsubishi”