Different size tires

diver9888
Driver/Navigator

Different size tires

Postby diver9888 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:38 pm

I couldn't post on the tire thread but hopefully you can help.

I've got a delica running the triton super select trans. I have 2 x 31" which I was hoping to use up front as I really need the clearance in the sand around welly. I can't afford 2 more 31" for a few weeks. My backs will be my standard 235's which are about 28". I know in 2wd it will be fine getting there as the centre is unlocked. My question is in low range will there be suitable slippage in the gravel and sand or is there the potential for diff wind up and permanent damage particularly with the big difference?

Big
Hard Yaka

Re: Different size tires

Postby Big » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:08 pm

no.. the transfer will bind up seriously and will take a bit to disengage it.. if at all.. don't ask how I know :oops: lets just say wife didn't know I changed tires for a couple weeks in winter,, and I had to go get it.. :roll:

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:40 pm

As said above
NO it will do all sorts of wierd things including try to rip the wheel out of your hands when turning.

diver9888
Driver/Navigator

Postby diver9888 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:17 am

Thanks for the reply's. I will stick with the standard tires for now. The outcome wouldn't be good

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:10 pm

Not to mention how retarded you will look with huge tyres up front and little in the back :roll: :lol: :lol:
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:14 pm

FYI...the superselect trans goes, 2H,4H,4Hlc,4Llc... unless its engaged in one of the l/c ranges the centre is unlocked allowing differentation(is that even a word) between back and front....hence you can drive a super select trans eqipped pajaro,challenger,triton on hardsurfaces in 4wd.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

churchill
Hard Yaka

Postby churchill » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:06 pm

Not sure about super select but super select 2 has a lsd on the center diff so it pays to keep the tyre sizes close front and rear otherwise you could over heat the lsd.

diver9888
Driver/Navigator

Postby diver9888 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:24 pm

I'm used to looking a retard - I've been time rich but money poor for years. My jeep had a snorkel made out of square marley pipe and spare bolted on the roof, my previous pajero had a snorkel made out of flexitube held onto the aerial with cable ties. My trail bikes got a white warehouse cube box bolted on the carrier. It's a shame my van is a nice one for once - I can't just drill holes and mount stuff on it without it looking really stupid. :D

I will just stick to my roads for now, until I find two more tires. I'm probably off around to cave bay, southcoast on tuesday for dive. My mates taking his well set up pajero so it will be interesting how far I will get.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:06 pm

Sand driving is all about air pressure.
Buy a 12v compressor and drop to around 20 front and 18 rear dont drive like a mad dick and keep cornering smooth and you will be surprised on on far you will go.
Just remember soft tyres will flip the wagon if you corner hard as the rims will dig in.
With the smaller tyres the motor and trans will not be working to hard either which is a big bonus

Return to “Mitsubishi”