Front locked axle hub query

diver9888
Driver/Navigator

Front locked axle hub query

Postby diver9888 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:49 am

On my 2003 Delica (prob triton front axle) I have the older design blanked off plate, as opposed to manual or auto hubs. Therefore I am constantly spinning the front axles in normal driving probably using more petrol and probably more wear and tear long term. Will this be minimal or would the fitting of manual hubs at some stage be beneficial?

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: Front locked axle hub query

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:47 pm

Not just beneficial on fuel .. Wear on CVS etc as well.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:55 pm

It's actually the newer design and I will assume you have super select 4wd if you have the drive flanges from the Pajero as a lot of them do. It disconnects at the front diff. Manual hubs will help but bugger all, and you won't notice any fuel economy Benefits.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

diver9888
Driver/Navigator

Postby diver9888 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:32 am

Thanks for the replies. Yes it is superselect with the drive flanges. I assumed it was an older design due to the fact they weren't adjustable. Petrol delica owners are always looking for ways to save petrol due to weight and a real low diff ratio. Though Crash mentioned ongoing wear with CV's etc even with the front diff disconnected

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:08 am

You can put Triton manual hubs on it if you want. I did then put the drive flanges back on as I couldn't keep water out of the hubs. When in 2WD there is no load on the CV's.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:32 pm

toyota surfs have ADD as well. generally they save a bit of fuel when you fit hubs. also its a requirement if you fit lsd or autolockers.
tho i don't know mitsi setup, if its unlocks both sides of the diff or not. toyotas only do one side, so the other side still spins in the diff even tho its not spinning the front driveshaft.
i recommend hubs, even if its to save on CV wear and especially CV boots.

Return to “Mitsubishi”