Delica/Triton greasing nipple help

diver9888
Driver/Navigator

Delica/Triton greasing nipple help

Postby diver9888 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:41 am

Hi, I have a 2003 Delica which probably has Triton front suspension. The 3 main joint rubbers rubbers each side are flat and obviously need greasing but there doesn't seem any way to do it. On each side the top joint just has a recessed round pressed cap with no way of getting a grip on it. The bottom has a side bolt which looks like an M10 when out. Too large for standard stocked grease nipples. The steering joint has no extra screw holes of any description to screw a nipple into. Are these not meant to be greased? Are they considered disposable?

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Re: Delica/Triton greasing nipple help

Postby mudlva » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:39 pm

If it does require grease you could drill a 4mm hole right through bolt and tap a m5 thread that will recieve a grease nipple.
Wouldnt be that hard to do with a drill press or even just using a vice and drill.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:28 am

interesting that the delica is like that. as the pajero has grease nipples on almost everything
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

diver9888
Driver/Navigator

Postby diver9888 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:42 pm

mudlva wrote:If it does require grease you could drill a 4mm hole right through bolt and tap a m5 thread that will recieve a grease nipple.
Wouldnt be that hard to do with a drill press or even just using a vice and drill.

Good point - But it would end up being quite an involved job for me to do. I do my own general maintenance like brakes and fluids; but this would require me to take 6 joints out to drill and tap. I would need to buy taps and probably extra tools like impact sockets and other unidentified tools etc, based on 3 decades of car work. While I hate to leave it, if I am doing all that work, I might as well leave them until they are stuffed and un warrantable then replace them with new units that have grease nipples when I have to. Its done 200k, so they have never been touched

diver9888
Driver/Navigator

Postby diver9888 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:51 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:interesting that the delica is like that. as the pajero has grease nipples on almost everything

It appears to be a bit of a lucky dip globally about the exact equipment on any particular day that a delica owner ends up with no matter what their spec badge says. The funny thing is that the drive shafts have normal ones screwed in so they aren't a problem.

I have heard that some people have had success with using a hand syringe and injecting the grease under the rubber. anyone have any thoughts about that?

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:51 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:interesting that the delica is like that. as the pajero has grease nipples on almost everything

Until the Gen 3 & 4 came along in 1999, there is only 1 grease nipple on the whole vehicle! Very backwards.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:38 pm

NJV6 wrote:

Until the Gen 3 & 4 came along in 1999, there is only 1 grease nipple on the whole vehicle! Very backwards.

You must have a base model :mrgreen:
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

diver9888
Driver/Navigator

Postby diver9888 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:21 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:
NJV6 wrote:

You must have a base model :mrgreen:

Its actually a Chamonix which is a higher spec Delica with twin airdams and fog lamps and (did have until munted) auto side steps.

After more research I have found you can get a needle that is designed for non nipple joints that goes on your grease gun and you are meant to puncture the boot with it, then seal back up with a rubber adhesive (though many don't bother as it seals itself apparently. It also appears this needle is great for putting grease in/around any rubber joint to prolong the life of it as it would never be greased anyway

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:58 pm

I use genuine tie rod ends now, bought online from USA, a bit dearer than aftermarket here but I got sick of replacing them every 12 months, the genuine ones I get much longer out of and they are greaseable. The later Pajeros don't have the option (that I have found) unfortunately.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

Return to “Mitsubishi”