2000 exceed pajero info

basics
Hard Yaka

2000 exceed pajero info

Postby basics » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:03 pm

they seem quite good value for money, and lots of room inside for the growing family

i will not be using it for off road as such, just gravel roads maybe red rocks the odd time and towing the quad.

ive got my eye on a 3.5L petrol. how thirsty are these? i do such little ks a year that im not to worried about it been petrol.

id like to hear the good and the bad if any one has some experience with these.

thanks in advance
99 pajero exceed 3.2

basics
Hard Yaka

Re: 2000 exceed pajero info

Postby basics » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:17 pm

opps i some how missed this as i scrolled down.
thanks for the write up Bizweb

Bizweb wrote:Great vehicle!!

A bit hungry to be fair, we have a 2006 3.8 Ltr NP VRX (still in Aus) and we also had a 2001 3.5 Ltr NM GLS in Australia, I travelled through the outback, all over Fraser Is, North Stradbroke Is etc. in her and we had great fun! Bog standard with Pirelli Scorpion AT's we could go everywhere may mates would in their Patrols and Landcruisers. I copped a lot of stick about drining a Paj, but they were the red faced ones when we went where we did.

They are real wheel lifters off road but with the IRS they are great!

Things to look out for.
Some of the early ones (NM) have a carbon fibre drive shaft so make sure you check it for knocks, eventhough they are strong as soon as they get a knock or anything they become very weak and have been know to shatter without warning.

The rocker covers leak and can drip oil, it is really common, ours used oil as a result until I changed to a higher viscosity premium oil.

We had intermittent ssues with our temperature guage, which is also very common as a connection in the dash becomes loose, but there is heaps of info online to fix this if you are handy with a soldering iron.

We run ours on 95 as it will pull better and we found we had better economy than with 91.

For the money you cannot go wrong, they are comfortable, tough, great off road, have a great lock, awesome visiblity and the missus likes it coz its easy to park, has 7 seats (that tuck under the floor) and is not a big tank like a Landcruiser or Patrol.

The NP is awesome, feels smoother and has MATTS which makes it drive offroad like it has front and rear lockers. Toyota & Nissan fanboys hate me for it lol.
Watch the beginning of this video to see what I mean (not my Paj but similar model) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WPsT4p1lE8

I hope that helps a bit

still keen to hear more if you have experience with them
99 pajero exceed 3.2

churchill
Hard Yaka

Postby churchill » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:49 pm

Had a 2004 diesel, heaps of room with the monocoque chassis and handled very well when pushed on road with the independent suspension.

Interior and exterior held together well on road, didn't really go off road in it as it was too nice.

A bit of a rough boomy ride at times, NVH refinement not as good as a landcruiser but at under half the price who cares.

Diesel saved $1000 every 10,000km in running costs over a petrol and has a better resale..... but cost more to begin with....

Check for rust in the sunroof.

Roof lining can start to droop.

Some get excessive rear camber I think due to worn suspension bushes.

Watch the rear diff as the cv's can pop out thus draining the diff oil and stuffing the diff.

Auto gearbox switches can gum up, free to fix but a pain in the ass to do.

Mine didn't tow very well when compared to a land cruiser.

They felt under braked, the NP Pajero had larger rotors with 4 piston calipers which would've been good on the earlier ones. Being the same chassis you might actually be able to swap them over.

Good value for money if you are prepared spend a bit of time fixing them.

basics
Hard Yaka

Postby basics » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:38 am

thanks for the reply, im pretty close to opening the wallet on one with low ks, so im hoping i should have trouble free motoring for a while
99 pajero exceed 3.2

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:09 pm

You probably will. The rear diff thing is an easy fix and only effected manual ones apparently as they had something different, all it needs is a bigger circlip holding the short companion driveshaft into the diff.

Fitting airbags to the rear suspension is pretty common on these to prevent the rear tyre wear, being IRS, the camber goes all up the wop when you have a load or trailer with a high town all weight. Best to get an alignment down with your most common load onboard.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

basics
Hard Yaka

Postby basics » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:03 pm

115,000 3.5L paid for and on its way up to me.

wife will be happy,ill have to go back to work :x
99 pajero exceed 3.2

Return to “Mitsubishi”