Pajero v6 block cracking?

Kiamad
Winch master

Pajero v6 block cracking?

Postby Kiamad » Wed May 04, 2016 7:50 am

So I've just picked up a '92 NH model pajero with a cracked windscreen and busted headgasket. $800. BUT I've been nosing around, and a few mechanics have told me the 3L v6's crack blocks if the block is at normal operating temp or higher and it hits cold water, eg a water crossing. Problem: most of my local tracks involve water crossings...
Is there any truth to this?

dvk-kp
Hard Yaka

Re: Pajero v6 block cracking?

Postby dvk-kp » Wed May 04, 2016 10:08 am

Me and a few mates all have pajeros and had heaps of those motors without cracking blocks, sometimes they are well in the red on the temp gauge and then straight into the river to cool them down and they are mint.

Great motor in my opinion, maybe not the most powerful but go hard and love to rev and extremely reliable for the abuse given! :D

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Wed May 04, 2016 10:23 am

Very rarely seen a cracked 6g block and even then only pictures of them from Europe USA etc.....
. Heads yes they are prone to blowing head gaskets and cracks in the heads between the valves.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Kiamad
Winch master

Postby Kiamad » Wed May 04, 2016 10:59 am

It had s full stripdown and rebuild @ 150k, blew its headgasket at 180k, our guess: not torqing the head down after running it in

Return to “Mitsubishi”