99 On Pajero drivetrain strength

darinz
Hard Yaka

99 On Pajero drivetrain strength

Postby darinz » Wed May 25, 2016 2:14 pm

I've got a few questions for the Pajero experts.
I'm looking at starting a new project and wondered whether the IFS / IRS Pajero drivetrain will be up to the strength I need.
Basic plan. Lots of power long axles to increase track and travel. (so custom arms front and rear) Not using Pajero just the drive train...maybe.

Basically, can you put about 600hp to it with a 33" to 35" tyre? (or maybe a 37"?)

And is the factory auto transmission up to strength?

What about steering, is that strong?

What about the 3.5 or 3.8 V6. Is it up to turboing or is it just junk?

Sorry I don't know a lot about Pajero's other than they have big CV's and a decent size diff.

And I'm not looking for advice on solid axle blah blah bullshit either! This is a specific build with a purpose in mind that means solid axles are 100% no go. (I've already got a truck with those!)
Nissan Terrano coilovers, turboed VH45, Safari axles, and some other stuff.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Re: 99 On Pajero drivetrain strength

Postby NJV6 » Wed May 25, 2016 9:33 pm

Hi Darin,

I believe there are a number of buggies that do the outback 1000 or whatever it is in western australia that use the IRS rear diff with LS3's going into them and holding up. Cannot confirm but I have heard it a couple of times. The diffs are reportedly strong with 9.5 inch CW. Not sure on the front of the later model, hardly hear of broken CV's but also don't know that many people that push these hard. Id try asking on the OZ site http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/index.php it is pretty active forum.

The factory auto is the Aisin 3040 same as Jeep Toyota Lexus etc in the earlier Pajeros (94-99). Then I cannot remember what they used but from 2009 it is the same 5 speed as what is in the 200 series cruiser. I believe the 94-99 transfer cases to be the strongest, i have heard of a few failures in the Gen 4 (06 on) but none in the early ones, from 99 on they got a fancy 'up to 66-33%' either way split sytem. The strongest earies ones with just 50/50 but did have a lockable centre diff also with a viscous coupling. Transfer case chains can stretch.

Cannot comment on the petrol engine but they seem pretty strong with a few flaws, smoke from valve stem seals - basically a mitsi thing and the DOHC motors might be a bit weak in the big end dept. Google g675 and 6G74, the yank guys love turboing their eclipse's and seem to be pretty successsful.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

darinz
Hard Yaka

Postby darinz » Thu May 26, 2016 9:35 am

Should have just asked you direct really!!!

Do you know what size the front diff is?

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Thu May 26, 2016 10:37 am

Yes, it is an 8 inch high pinion. front diff and comes in ratios from 4.9 to 3.9, I think there might be an even higher ratio one (lower number) and there is a 4.6, 4.3. They reckon the crown wheel on the front has about twice as much meat as a hilux 8 inch but I cannot confirm, never had them side by side.

darinz
Hard Yaka

Postby darinz » Thu May 26, 2016 10:40 pm

So nice big CVS but a bs diff! Might have to cut down a safari diff for the front then.
Is the 4.9 ratio actually 4.88? Seem to remember it might be?

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Thu May 26, 2016 11:04 pm

No, its 4.900. The smaller 9 inch diff from earlier models had the 4.875. I haven't heard of the diffs failing in terms of being bs, but they are cheap as chips, i gave my last one away as they worth nothing - just go buy one for a look! But don't pay more than scrap value! Even the little 7.25inch front diffs don't break!

Return to “Mitsubishi”