Opinions on 2000 onwards Pajeros

altair
Driver/Navigator

Opinions on 2000 onwards Pajeros

Postby altair » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:05 pm

Just 'considering" a Pajero, year 2000 onwards, 3.5V V6 model. Have heard the 3.5 is a better engine than the 3.0? Or how are the diesel models of these engine wise?

So from you in the know (hopefully by personal experience)...

How thirsty are these things with everyday driving? Realise they will be thristy round town. ( Currently have a Nissan Menstruation, but cannot cope with the total lack of any power).

And mainly, are they tough transmission wise? All seem to be autos, was hoping to get a lower km one, and keep it really well serviced with a cooler fitted. The motors themselves seem okay apparently with servicing and decent cooling system maintenance. Will tow 2 ton very occasionally, 99% will be just daily driving without a trailer.

Just thinking about it at present. Cheers guys.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: Opinions on 2000 onwards Pajeros

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:33 pm

the 6g74 SOCH 3.5 is more reliable then the doch version from what ive been told.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:44 pm

a relative has a petrol one, they try not to drive it, cos it is a thirsty pig.
Pretty sure the auto trans is Aisan brand, so generally strong and reliable(same as toyota). I have read that the diesels (3.2 litre DiD motor) have great power and economy. only downside is the injection pump is stupidly expensive to fix/replace. It also pays to replace the timing chain on high km examples, as chains do wear, and things get expensive if it goes wrong in that area. There are plenty of examples with 320-380,000km on them, so it seems people are getting a pretty good run out of them.

tgaguy1
Hard Yaka

Postby tgaguy1 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:36 pm

I have a 01 3.2 DID.
Love it. Have 330000 kms on it and still going strong. Mind you I am very particular about servicing when due. I get 900km/90litre tank on highway so very economical when it has been tuned correctly by someone that knows what they are doing. When I bought it I was getting just over 700km's /90 litres. Have heard about fuel pump problems at about 300000 km so had mine pulled down and it is still like brand new.
trans is excellent unit (triptronic shifter is fantastic) and will tow my bush truck with ease (over 3 1/2 tonne). Prefer towing with this than my highly modded GQ TD42+t.
Usual things to look for with milage is suspension doesnt last 300000km's, but then no suspension will. I have a 2" lift in mine now and it handles highway duties very comfortably. NZ new models usually have factory rear diff lock fitted too.
Rear suspension camber adjustment bolts are know to seize. If tyres are wearing the shoulder and these are seized it is a prick to rectify.
Get 60-70k km's out of a set of Kumho KL78's so no too hard on tyre wear.

Hope some of this helps.
Men do not quit playing because they get old.
They grow old because they quit playing.

dvkmunta1kzsurf
Driver/Navigator

Postby dvkmunta1kzsurf » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:12 pm

Anyone had anything to do with the 3.8 mivec versions? I'm gessing it'll love drinking the petrol

Return to “Mitsubishi”