Terrano Clunking Noise, Help!

Moderator: Mark

travis2ninja
Hard Yaka

Terrano Clunking Noise, Help!

Postby travis2ninja » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:56 am

HI,

Was at a beach, everyone letting tyres down. Put the car into 4L drove onto the beach got a few meters and sunk into the sand.
Front Automatic hubs not engaging, got towed around till a big clunk which engaged them?
Then i could drive easy on the sand but the rest of the night every time i reversed i could here the hubs disengage and engage again.

The next morning in 2wd driving on bitchumen road, front right hub was making clicking/grind noise then it would feel like it would engage and jerk the car, did that 4 or 5 times in 100m.
I swaped the hubs left to right, went away. swapped them back still fine.

Got fed up with the auto hubs. Got some manual locking hubs off of my spare 89 D21 Navara, Fitted fine, worked fine last few times i have been out 4wding.

Last night 4wding for a few km was fine, went onto the beach and had to rev heaps to get across the sand, started to slow down heaps,
Then suddenly the clunk came back, let tyres down. Started driving easy but every now and again clunk. Also a squealing noise coming from right hub at the time.

Seems like it is the right hand side, could be wrong.
Put new CV's in about a month ago.
Sort of feels like hub disengage and engaging but now have manual hubs so don't see how.

Been reading online,
Hubs not on properly, but im sure they are!
Chain in transfer case stretched and jumping a tooth, but seems like its at the front.
Something wrong with front diff?

1992 TD27T terrano

Cheers, Travis

johnny262
Hard Yaka

Re: Terrano Clunking Noise, Help!

Postby johnny262 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:23 pm

Id start at the wheel bearing, check it for roughness/excessive play, have you set the bearing preload while changing hubs?

travis2ninja
Hard Yaka

Postby travis2ninja » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:49 pm

johnny262 wrote:check it for roughness/excessive play

I regreased them all when i did the CV's, jack the car up and move the wheel back and forth?

johnny262 wrote:bearing preload

What sort of tool can i use to tighten to the specified torque?

johnny262
Hard Yaka

Postby johnny262 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:07 pm

Just adjust it up till theres no play, then if you like you can back it off a fraction to help knock back the brake pads, but its generally not necessary as long as the wheel still spins freely.
Not saying thats your issue, just pays to check the basics first

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:58 pm

Yeah a high pitched squeak or rumble can indicate a bad wheel bearing.

Sorry I dont have a pic but for an adjustment tool I took a piece of flat bar and drilled a couple of holes in it using an old WD21 locknut as a template. Then got some M6x75mm bolts and threaded them in the holes, cut the heads off the bolts. Then got an old 3/8 drive socket and had it welded in the middle so a torque wrench could go on the outside.

The factory setting for new bearings is 5nm - barely finger tight. If repacking its important to tighten them up first really tight (around 300nm from memory) so the bearings seat properly. Then slacken back off to 5nm.

Might need to double check those torque specs in the FSM

The wheel bearing locknuts in these are same as the GU Patrol - the GQ model had a conventional locknut (54mm?) which I hear is troublesome.

Otherwise you can get a Dana 44 wheelbearing tool and cut a couple of the tabs off, works well.
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:14 pm

Hubs qre buggered simple as, get some manual ones off navara

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:15 pm

Oh didnt read properly ha wheel beerings cvs front diff few thing to look at

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:07 pm

I'd be surprised if it was the front diff, The front diffs on these generally dont give problems... the R180 has a known breakage point if you treat it like an absolute lunatic..Subaru used the same unit in the WRX which makes ridiculous levels of power.

As for the transfer chain, maybe excessive BTMing (brake throttle modulating) trying to get the LSD to work, but again its a stout setup.

You could try pulling the front driveshaft off and put it in 4H and go for a drive just to eliminate that.

If you used aftermarket shitbox non genuine CV joints, that may be worth looking into.

Also the manual hubs dont use grease. Grease can make them malfunction. Have you pulled them off and made sure they're engaging/disengaging properly?

Sticking brake caliper?
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

sublimenz
Bush Crasher

Postby sublimenz » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:29 pm

Welcome to my life the last 4 months. Finally figured out today that its the brake caliper sticking every now and then while under braking.
I had the hub apart so many time trying to figure out what was going wrong it was beyond a joke. :x

travis2ninja
Hard Yaka

Postby travis2ninja » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:12 pm

i am about 95% sure its the transfer case chain, i am trying to source one now as i want one ready for when i pull it apart.
Dont really want to go to nissan as it will be very expensive :roll: :roll:
Parts store in my town want $492 AUD, and i cant find any online.
I have just messaged Drive Tech and usa industries. But waiting for a reply.
Any other places?

slide
Hard Yaka

Postby slide » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:46 pm

I would be very surprised if the transfer chain in a part time 4x4 had problems if not used lots offroad (or been left in 4x4 by mistake on road).
Easy to check it out though, just drive in 4wd round in circles on hard but not real grippy ground (ie dirt/grass- not tarmac) and bind up the front/rear drive. If its going to slip this will make it slip.
If it is faulty why spend $500 odd on a part and then more $$ fitting it? Transfer cases for these are a dime a dozen. So many laying round after the gearbox has given up. Lucky to sell a complete transfer for over $100 on trademe. Navara, pathfinder, terrano, mistral all have them and I believe the same between auto and manual. V6 slightly different spline where mates to transmission IIRC. Someone may correct me?

fh2014
Hard Yaka

Postby fh2014 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:54 pm

Had a clunking in mine, front sway bar mounts. Get under it and shake the crap out of it and try move it with a pry bar, just worth checking.

Return to “Nissan”