Gq Shortie questions.

Moderator: Mark

haydgq
Hard Yaka

Gq Shortie questions.

Postby haydgq » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:08 pm

Hi to all on this forum, ive got a safari swb 5 Speed manual and ive got a few questions as im giving it a full service well as much as i can do myself anyway.

Ive done the easy ones.

Fuel filter
Air filter
Engine oil and oil filters as per usual

Now i need to know what oils for the Diffs and gearbox and as my last Safari was a auto and i had a garage service the diffs and auto box etc so arent sure of what to use

The rear diff is the factory electric Locker so do you still use a good LSD oil.? and can you run the same oil in the front diff.?? And Does anyone know anything re the factory diff locks like any special service requirements and maintence.?????

Cheers guys and as ive only owned this Safari for 3 days i want to make sure every thing is sweet im getting all the belts and water pump replaced next week but the rest im doing myself

Hayden

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:14 am

Hey, welcome aboard!!! :D

Front Diff 80W90
Will let you Know about the rear, but I'm 99% sure its the same.
Gear box 75W90
Transfer case 80W90

Nothing special with the lecky lock in the back, just make sure its all water proofed with plenty of silicone sealant type stuff.

You can use 80W90 in the gearbox, it just makes shifting a bit stiffer when the oils cold. I found it shut my gear box bearings up when hoy using the heavier oil.

Check out the thread I've beem putting tech stuff in for the Y60 Safari.
I need to add some more stuff to it so it comes back up to the top of the lsit.

Cheers,
Pete.
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

haydgq
Hard Yaka

Postby haydgq » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:44 pm

Cheers Diesel Boy i appreciate it

Hey and one more thing its allso got a Factory 8000 pound warn on the front it needs a cog replaced in it, it works at the mo but some times doesnt engage its teeth propally, ive been quoted $300 to fix and service the winch, Now are the 8000 pound warns a good winch.? And as i can get a fully serviced Warn 9000 pound for $700 so im probally better off spending the extra on the 9.? Any advice guys.?

Cheers

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:30 pm

Dunno, but for $850 you could have a brand new 12,000 pound lecky one from member "supralux".
Not a Warn though.
Depending on age, you can get replacement parts for the Warn stuff.
A mate of mine who has a worn Warn :lol: winch went to get a new motor for it and was told that it was to old and they couldn't get one.
So the winch is siting dissused in his shed instead of on his surf.
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:00 pm

The 8000 winch is ok, but I'd go for the 9000 if its in good condition as the more power the better (I'm guessing your running 24v?).

Anything else wrong with the 8000? You could probably get a few $$$ for it from someone that needs parts anyway (like me :lol: )

Dave

haydgq
Hard Yaka

Postby haydgq » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:44 pm

Ok Dave ill PM you if i decide to upgrade and not fix the 8000.

And i just noticed the post re the 12000 pound winch what brand are these.? and has anybody delt with the GEW brand of electric winches there are heaps on trademe for sale all the time and they are well priced allso.

And Diesel Boy just to confirm the OIL for the rear Locker diff you think the 80w-90 do but do you mean 80w-90 LSD oil.?? and the front just has non LSD 80w-90 doesnt it.?

Cheers guys

pinky
Hard Yaka

Postby pinky » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:00 pm

hi duds i have a castrol oil book at work just tell me the make and model +engine and i will post the spec.. sheet . just a thought wouldent it be good to have a forum just for things like work shop manuals wiring diagrams oil spec sheets . would be cool ah.. just have to twist mikes arm a bit

Return to “Nissan”