nissan safari

Moderator: Mark

muttly
Driver/Navigator

nissan safari

Postby muttly » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:39 am

looking at buying 1992 4.2 petrol low roof 179,000k's $12,000 please tell me your thoughts are they any good.

tristanp
Hard Yaka

Postby tristanp » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:15 pm

lwb safari = hung up all the time
petrol = poor all the time - unless its on LPG
for 12k you can get a diesel turbo with a PTO winch

its pretty much depends on what you are going to do all the time.. if you have 3 kids or a lot of gear to cart round, go for the LWB, stay clear of the 2.8 turbo diesel (too small a motor hooked up to too small a gearbox for a big 4x4) .
try get one with a PTO winch- it sticks out a bit in the front, but throw a land anchor in the back and theres nowhere you cant go.
the 4.2 non turbo is a bit gutless but its super reliable -600,000km easy if the oils changed regulary.
the patrol/safari is a pretty bulletproof truck . from 1988 to current they are still using the same chassis and suspension (they got that right)
the only thing thats changed is the engines (i think you can even still get the 4.2 diesel) and maybe the gearboxes

muttly
Driver/Navigator

i think will have to stick to looking at lwb

Postby muttly » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:27 pm

we have 4 kids and 1 well feed black lab.my current truckis a 91 landcruiser prado with 2.4 dt and currently has 4 cracks in head time for it to go and we are pretty keen on safari petrol we know it will be a bit thristy on fuel.but have never herd any thing bad about them.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:08 am

The weak points in the TD (Diesel) and TB(Petrol) series motors is the velve gear, ie the rocker shaft wearing prematurly if the valve clearences haven't been kept up with every 20.000K's. This can inturn lead to Lifter wear.
Water pumps tend to flog out regularly as well.

They quite frequently break the left hand engine mount.

The body mounts get very noisey/creaky/clunky.

The gear box is very heavy, especially when cold between first and second.

But no, they don't usually tend to crack cylinder heads. :wink:

Cheers,
Pete.
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

mumad
Hard Yaka

Postby mumad » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:42 pm

My friend has just put two extra body mounts in his truck, as the whole body has moved forward and started to break mounts, welds, etc, but thats with a 50mm lift, look at a bigger exhaust as his goes well with a 3" pipe and extractors, they may be slow and heavy but they can't be beat for people/equipment movers and reliability

Return to “Nissan”