PTO Winch

Moderator: Mark

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

PTO Winch

Postby DieselBoy » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:17 am

DaveM, your not givin up on the PTO winch are ya??

What was the problem??

I am getting together some pics etc.

Would be usefull to note the problems you struck trying to fit it and why you decided not too here.

May help other people in the future!!!

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:35 pm

Was looking at an electric set up (again :roll: ) mainly because I was getting rather annoyed with trying to fit it.

Couldnt get the pto output onto the gearbox because the exhaust is in the way, and I couldn't get the bolts off. Have since had to pay the Nissan dealers to put it on (could have done it with the right tools) and put in f&r extended brake lines. Only cost $280 labour :shock:

After spending that I will have to look at keeping it, but have since found that there is no space in the tranny tunnel to mount the controller, and I'm a little cautious of cutting a hole in the wrong place, so will have to look around at others to see exactly where I start hacking away.

Anything I touch usually turns to crap, so I have to pay people to do it, and I sometimes wonder if it is worth it, as they charge a fortune, and do dodgy work anyway :x

Any pics would be much appreciated, as I hate having a winch sitting on the truck I cant use.
Also, I have been told to try liquid grease in the winch (as used in lawn mower gear boxes).

Cheers,
Dave

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:21 am

OK dave, i will get off my lazy arse and get ya those photo's.
Yours is manual isn't it??

Does it have the plastic surround around the gear lever or just the rubber boot??

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:35 pm

Yeah its a manual, and while it has the plastic surround around the gear levers, there is no hole for the winch lever, so I will have to try to get one from the wreckers. There is a metal plate that screws over the lever boots to hold them down, does yours also extend wide enough to cover the pto lever boot also? (hope I explained this properly :roll: )

Don't go out of your way getting these pics, I don't want to sound pushy :!:

Cheers,
Dave

wopass
Hard Yaka

;-p

Postby wopass » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:52 pm

get the pics ! get the pics ! :twisted:

DOOOOOO EEEEEET ! !
If you already know everything, DON'T ask bloody questions!!

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:12 am

No.
You have to cut a hole in the trans tunnel.
I had to go look at a Disco with my brother last night, so will get the pics sorted tonight after i put the rear springs in his Prado :wink:
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

SupraLux
Complete Bastard

Postby SupraLux » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:34 am

Can you fit the PTO winches to auto's or are they a manual only winch in the Nissans?

Steve

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:08 pm

I think i answered that some where else on here, but no, they only fit to the manuals.
The PTO works of the gear abox and not the transfer case as in a Hilux/Cruiser.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:22 am

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:40 am

That is perfect!.Thanks, I've pulled a sicky today, so may attack this today so its ready for the morning :)

Thanks again,
Dave

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:45 am

As you can see, it's just an add on, they didn't even cut a neat hole in the carpet!!!

I did cut the carpet so i could get it out easily when we wet :lol:

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Well, every thing is on and she's ready to go :D , those photos did the trick, was easy cutting the hole and bolting everthing up, but the real test will be the first time I use it.

Only problem is when I drained the oil from the winch, it was black and gold :shock: (the gold being all the brass shavings), yip, all 100ml of it.
Thats right, it had about 100ml of oil in the box :x
It also had the shear pin replaced with a hi tensile bolt, so its obviously seen a bit of (ab)use.

Oh well, time will tell I guess.

Dave

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:38 pm

Very normal to have high levels of brass in the oil. at least your oils wasn't milky!!!
Mine was all time before i sorted the breather!!

Have you pulled the plate off the end with the filler plug in it??
When you put it back on, rotate it so the filler plug is at or very near the top.
Want a pic of that??

Make sure you pack heaps of greese into the end by the hub!!!!

and get the proper shear pin, thats essential, don't wanna shag your gear box!!! (doubtfull but you never know)

The Pins are $21.00 each from Nissan. Can get the P/N if ya want

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:26 pm

Thanks, I was a little worried that there was bugger all oil in there, so wasn't sure if the brass was showing a problem.

Couldnt be bothered taking the side cover off (will leave that for the next oil change) but I just turrned the diff round till the filler cap was at the top, and filled it to just below that level, so hopefully thats enough.

Looks like there is a seal leaking from the output shaft of the winch, so will keep an eye on that, and managed to get a shear pin from nissan, but will order a couple more I think.

A bit off topic, but I have an air leak from around the airbox on the motor, and this is after I finally got that crappy snorkel on.
Any idea what it may be? It sounds like it is from under the filter assembly, but only noticeable when you block the top of the snorkel.

Cheers,
Dave

Jungle
Hard Yaka

Postby Jungle » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:50 pm

Not sure about nissans, but toyota air boxes have a secondary bowl with removable base. It has a small flapper valve to let water out when not running and hopefully keep water out when engine is running. Worth a look.

Some guys just silicone them up.

G

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:25 pm

Pull the air filter housing off. 6 bolts.

There is a hose clamp type system onto the intake manifold. Check thats in good order. Smeer it with grease or silicone sealant put the air box back on, and bolt up the mounts first, then do up the clamp onto the intake manifold.

Thats were the leak is your talking about right??

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:44 pm

I honestly don't know where its coming from :roll:
Will try what you have said, and if no change, I will have to check section by section. Hope I don't have to do this as the seal once I used is gooey crap and goes like spider webs when you try to seperate it.

Thanks for the info DB(again)
Dave

Return to “Nissan”