Chinese diff lock

Moderator: Mark

42south
Driver/Navigator

Chinese diff lock

Postby 42south » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:00 pm

I have my chinese diff lock fitted now, and offer the following comments
Sourced through Nanjing Ido import & Export Co. Contact is Ivan
www.nanjingido.com . Ivan speaks good english and is very helpful.
Quality according to my mechanic is very good. It looks identical to the ARB product.
One issue for the Safari is that it came with a 12v compressor. You may be able to specify a 24v one on ordering, but i havent enquired. You could use the 12v compressor if you wanted to but careful with the power supply arrangements. The 24v one allows the use of tyre inflation extras if required. I am selling the 12v compressor and loom if anyone is interested.
the wiring loom is of good quality, and the operating switch is marked ARB and looks identical.
THe cost in China is $435 US dollars, freight to NZ will be extra, Im not sure how much as I got mine in Hong Kong. However Ivan will quote you.
Now that its fitted I have given it a good workout on a very rough track with river crossings and a couple of steep climbs, its working great.
I think the installation took 16hours. It comes with a very very comprehensive installation manual, which is identical to the ARB one.
1991 SWB GQY60 TD42 safari.
DTS turbo kit.

hosehustler
Hard Yaka

Re: Chinese diff lock

Postby hosehustler » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:56 pm

I recently purchased a brand new chinese head for an 3.1 Isuzu Bighorn $895.00 with valves fitted (from a reputeable Auckland supplier) full gasket set, water pump set, themostat, radiator recond, new pressure cap etc. The supplied gasket set (Chinese) included a head gasket (grade 1) and was advised by parts supplier that new head bolts not necessary.
I had the whole set up professionally fitted by a mech in Christchurch so as not to void any warranty.
The engine lasted 2 tanks of diesel before it required the head removing again was bubbling into radiator (fine at first but progressively got worse) for a couple of weeks, then over pressurized the radiator and wrecked the radiator :cry:
Head removed and dropped to an expert head engineer here in Christchurch and he notes very sub-standard machining, and poor gasket quality as well as recommending new head bolts.
He re-surfaced the head, pressure tested, supplied a quality NZ new grade 2 gasket, and a set of head bolts....another $361.00. (parts and machining)
Head now back on engine, with a NZ permaseal gasket and running farking mint, about 10hrs labour (my own this time :o ) cnut of a job :x
Personally from my experience I would steer clear of these cheap heads and cheap Chinese parts in general, some have a good experience with the cheap parts others......well...my experience it's not worth the risk :shock:
Also cost me a brand new radiator :x :x
I hate signatures

slide
Hard Yaka

Postby slide » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:16 pm

I have to agree fully and reccomend avoiding the cheap chinese cylinder heads. I've seen to many issues with them... False economy, much better to spend even double on a good head and have no worries, downtime and extra labour costs...
However, just being chinese doesn't make it shite. There are high quality bits come from there. Do your research, and let the buyer beware.

Let us know how your diff goes?
And is it rear or front that you got?
Did it look to be good quality?
Usually the good stuff has good instructions and packaging, and looks well made, whereas the poor stuff has plain box, poorly translated guides, and often looks poorly machined/manufactured.

My humble opinions anyways..

42south
Driver/Navigator

Postby 42south » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:07 am

Hi guys
As usual its buyer beware. I went the chinese way after reading a machinist's view over on the aussie site, he was impressed with the quality from Ivan's outfit.
As I said my mechanic gave it the thumbs up for quality.
It is a rear unit.
I will keep you posted, no news will mean good news, however I'm not hard core like some of you guys.
DTS turbo kit.

jakwoo39
Hard Yaka

Postby jakwoo39 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:07 pm

it is much harder than it sounds to specify a 24v compressor and wiring loom,i asked for the 24v set up many times and still got sent a 12volt one.

side by side they seem to be the same as arb ones except the chinese ones are not de burred as well so gloves were all most necessary to install, but they seem to be in and working fine now

muskie
Hard Yaka

Postby muskie » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:58 pm

just wanted to know did you pay by western union for the locker? i have contacted ivan before but never had the balls to part with the money, im not very clued up with paying over the internet, really would like a front locker for my patrol. how did you pay.

jakwoo39
Hard Yaka

Postby jakwoo39 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:07 pm

i bought the lockers through alibaba.com and ivan doesnt see a cent until i receive the lockers and are happy with them. he wasnt too happy with doing it that way but much safer for me

42south
Driver/Navigator

Postby 42south » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:14 am

Hi Guys
I paid via Western Union direct to Ivan, had no problems. I had the confidence to do this based on other guys experience, mainly from Aussie.
However as Hard Yakka states using Alibaba sounds a better idea.
Cheers
DTS turbo kit.

Return to “Nissan”