RB25Det Nissan Terrano

Moderator: Mark

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Re: RB25Det Nissan Terrano

Postby oldyella » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:13 pm

Hmmm, the fact that the injectors are clicking really does indicate the injector driving circuit is working. One other thought is that the injector opening and closing has been inversed. So that the injectors are pulsing closed momentarily, but are normally open.

I don't have a logical explanation as to how this could happen, but measuring the voltage as described will also identfiy if this is happening.

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:48 pm

One other thought.

Your running a dual fuel algorithm which uses the TPS position at idle to calculate required fuel. (I think)

Have you checked the TPS is wired up the right way around?

You can check this when you connect up to the laptop and observe the TPS guage. 0% is fully closed 100% open.

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:30 am

oldyella wrote:Yep, what I am thinking is:

The MSII has an input for Coolant temp

There is a separate input for Air temp - Pin 20.

If you are not using the air temp input, what has been done with it? Care needs to be taken to ensure noise is not introduced on this input. Otherwise it could potentially screw up the fuelling calculation in the MSII.

Yep, that's why I asked if it had been turned off/deactivated, though I'm not convinced it would cause it to run 100%duty cycle.
oldyella wrote:Also, regarding the vacuum, from what has been posted up so far, I haven't been able to see what level of vacuum is pulled at idle. It should be around 30kPa.

As mentioned earlier, the map readings look about right, or at least close enough to get it running. It never ventures into the pressure range, so again the duty cycle should never go that high

oldyella wrote:For the engine to stall like it is, the overfulling must be pretty major. Even though the MSII is saying the injector open time is 3.5ms which seem reasonable.

????? It gets up to 100% duty cycle on the gauges....

oldyella wrote: A sanity check would be to measure the voltage across an injector while the engine is running. It should be almost zero.

An equivalent test is to measure the voltage between pin 28 and pins 32, 33, 34 & 35. They should all be very low.

If you measure a voltage of 12V, your injectors are continiously open.

Hope you get this sorted, truck is going to be a machine!

Good thinking.

oldyella wrote:Your running a dual fuel algorithm which uses the TPS position at idle to calculate required fuel. (I think)

Have you checked the TPS is wired up the right way around?

You can check this when you connect up to the laptop and observe the TPS guage. 0% is fully closed 100% open.

I've been thinking about this one too. It's about the only thing left that could be causing this much issue. (if the ecu is working right...)
Does the megasquirt let you view which fuel zone is being used when the engine is running?
In fact, does it let you look at other stuff too? Or just those gauges?

Also...it seems to go to 100% as the map drops towards atmospheric....is it set for a turbo engine? Or does it think it's N/A and using all the zones without making boost?
edit: Dammit, nope, can't be...it's got pressure zones all the way to 250kpa...

Rotazuk
Hard Yaka

Postby Rotazuk » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:51 pm

Just a couple of questions , I have not read all of the post on the ecu issue but searched back for the vid running .

In the vid the engine is running and you say with the fuel pump off , have you switched it off or depowered it ?
At the end of the vid it stops running , I assume it died by itself . I think the voice says it possibly died as it foulded the plugs . Anyway from that point what do you have to do to get it running again ? Pull plugs and clean ?Turn on and off the fuel pump ? or does it just fire straight back up again and run for another few minutes .

Thanks
Chris

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:33 pm

DEATH_INC wrote:Yep, that's why I asked if it had been turned off/deactivated, though I'm not convinced it would cause it to run 100%duty cycle.

I had a bit of a look at my setting file. Under "Other Tuning" click on "IAT Based Fuel Correction". All entries should be set to 0.0 since you have no IAT sensor.

DEATH_INC wrote:I've been thinking about this one too. It's about the only thing left that could be causing this much issue. (if the ecu is working right...)
Does the megasquirt let you view which fuel zone is being used when the engine is running?
In fact, does it let you look at other stuff too? Or just those gauges?

You can change a guage by right clicking on a guage. Then go to guage templates and select the guage what you want.

You can also click on "Tuning" then "Real Time Display" this will bring up more information than just the guages.

As far as I know, you can't view if it is using TPS or MAP used. I also think it is a bit more complicated than using one or the other. I think it takes both and uses a bit of both.

Good luck this weekend.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:49 pm

have you tried wiring up a stock ecu to get it running to make sure the setup works, and then trying the Mega Squirt?

Paulballz
Hard Yaka

Postby Paulballz » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:08 am

Dirtydog wrote:have you tried wiring up a stock ecu to get it running to make sure the setup works, and then trying the Mega Squirt?

No go there as original loom cut up to use plugs on megasquirt and the two ecus are totally different i.e plugs and all

Paulballz
Hard Yaka

Postby Paulballz » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:09 am

Rotazuk wrote:Just a couple of questions , I have not read all of the post on the ecu issue but searched back for the vid running .

In the vid the engine is running and you say with the fuel pump off , have you switched it off or depowered it ?
At the end of the vid it stops running , I assume it died by itself . I think the voice says it possibly died as it foulded the plugs . Anyway from that point what do you have to do to get it running again ? Pull plugs and clean ?Turn on and off the fuel pump ? or does it just fire straight back up again and run for another few minutes .

Thanks
Chris

Yeah to start engine with fresh plugs i need to turn pump "ON", crank it over until it trys to fire then quickly switch pump "OFF" and it ill start...in that video the reason it died like that was because i turned pump back "ON"...once it dies all plugs need to be cleaned then process repeated, pump ON ect

Paulballz
Hard Yaka

Postby Paulballz » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:23 am

An post for DEATH_INC and oldyella...

today after work i am doing the earthing and will go through the gauges on megatune and try find the ones you guys recommended.

Here is a link to the r34 wire diagram it is on Page -19 http://www.jdmlegion.com/Assets/R34_All ... Manual.pdf

i think you guys might be on to something with the TPS, the wiring for this confused me as on the wire diagram it says 1 / 2 / 3 then (3) (2) (1) so i did not how what plug done which... On the plug itself it has 3 wires, TPS SIGNAL / GROUND / 5V POWER
One of those wires is wrapped in a thick protective cover (from standard) according to the diagram this is the TPS Signal (well i took it that way), but does it not make since to have the 5v having extra wrapping.....really do think iv buggered this so will redo today and hope that is what causing all the dramas...

On the wire diagram that i linked there it is a 4 pin plug but only 3 pins used (normal) so starting top left i have pluged
top left -TPS 5v (brown/white) top right - TPS Signal (red/blue) in extra sleeve.

Bottom left - Ground (blue/black) Bottom right - PLUGGED

Will be back on after work and earths are wired...thanks for all the help from everyone i feel we are getting very close now

Paulballz
Hard Yaka

Postby Paulballz » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:29 am

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh
Im so fu**en excited i quickly changed gauges to TPS and when i have no throttle it says 100% and when i give it full throttle it says 20%...please tell me this is back to front and is the problem.

Feel like a 15 year old on their first date again..do not want to be going work
Attachments
20121103_082710.jpg
FULL GAS
20121103_082707.jpg
NO GAS

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:46 am

Sound like you might have it sorted, bet you're glad you persisted with it. :D

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:25 am

Paulballz wrote:Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh
Im so fu**en excited i quickly changed gauges to TPS and when i have no throttle it says 100% and when i give it full throttle it says 20%...please tell me this is back to front and is the problem.

Feel like a 15 year old on their first date again..do not want to be going work

Most definately is.

Here is how to fix it directly out of the megasquirt manual:

To hook up your throttle position sensor (TPS), disconnect the TPS, and use a digital multi-meter. Switch it to measure resistance. The resistance between two of the connections will stay the same when the throttle is moved. Find those two - one will be the +5 Vref and the other a ground. The third is the sense wire to the MegaSquirt® controller. To figure out which wire is the +5 Vref and which is the ground, connect your meter to one of those two connections and the other to the TPS sense connection.

If you read a high resistance which gets lower as you open the throttle, then disconnected wire is the one which goes to ground, the other one which had the continuous resistance goes to the +5 Vref from the MegaSquirt® EFI Controller, and the remaining wire is the TPS sense wire

Use the "Tools/Calibrate TPS" function in MegaTune to ensure that you have an ADC count value well below 155 at closed throttle, and above 178 at wide open throttle (WOT). This will ensure that you are not in flood clear mode while cranking (ideally, your TPS at closed throttle will be 20 or less), and yet still able to activate flood clear mode. Many TPS are adjustable by loosening the screws and rotating it a bit. Also verify that the ADC count increases as you open the throttle, otherwise you have the TPS wired backwards. You should recheck the TPS range each time you change the idle position or reassemble the throttle linkage.

Good Luck!

Paulballz
Hard Yaka

Postby Paulballz » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:30 am

Thanks oldyella done as you said and got it sorted now reading correctly..

Yup zukmeista sure am its a testing project but got to try keep positive.

Well no videos of it running yet as i am having a small issue that i will sort this week...The other day i had to reload the tune and now there is no injector pulse, the tune loaded with 24 errors i think it a corrupt file so going to send ECU back down and get him to load the original file tune. should have it back by the end of week...Everything else is sorted and has very strong spark so its def a error in the injector side of things not the CAS... No all bad though still very positive as i know once it back it just a matter of plug it in and the old girl should be running 100% :D ...Also gives me plently of time to tidy wiring and finish the earths..

Thanks again for all your guys help i had practically given up on the old girl and now have that exciting feeling back the reason why i started the project...Thanks again your times greatly appreciated will keep posted how i get on this week

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:48 am

glad to hear that its finally sorted, sorry i wasnt of much help but i tried :roll:

cant wait to hear it running.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:09 am

Awesome mate.

Great job, hope you decide to keep this thing after all the blood sweat and tears.

Yeah, sorry I'm not much help, just sort of linger in the back of the garage drinking your beers and offering silly advice over shoulders at the most inapproriate time :mrgreen: .

But I'm learning - very slowly - just drink the beer and keep quiet :lol: .

I've got to take my hat off to you guys and this electrikery stuff, you make it seem easy, but I'll stick with my dirty ole 350 with only a couple of wires.

Good to see the "collective intellegence" of ORE getting stuck in too.

Heath

Paulballz
Hard Yaka

Postby Paulballz » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:05 pm

haha any help is great it gives new perspective to view the problem... Yep the members of ORE make it a amaziing group... Thanks again, ecu is sent off eagerly await its return now and then hopefully i can get you guys some videos and even better get out for a bash with ya's

getsum
Hard Yaka

Postby getsum » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:21 pm

awesome to hear mate...all you needed was some stiff encouragement and tech help...

good to see progress...youll be fizzing when the ecu turns up ae..

Rotazuk
Hard Yaka

Postby Rotazuk » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:40 pm

No help to you but should cheer you up a bit :)

Had a mate text the other day , having issues communicating with his MS . I had lent him all my cables and stim etc to get his project going . A few text's back and forth mainly complaining that the stim was not working and he could not communicate with the ecu from the tuning program . I give up on the text's and call , ask a few questions like what software is on it etc and get the reply "thats the problem , I don't know , how do I find out if I can't comunicate with it" . At this point his problem becomes rather clear , there is no software on it , so it can't cmmunicate or work the stim :) .
Not sure how but he had skipped right over the build step that said load the software , I suspect at the time because he did not have a cable etc .

Good luck with getting it sorted from here , know doubt there will be a few other issues but remember nothing is impossible .

Chris

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:21 pm

Heath wrote:Good to see the "collective intellegence" of ORE getting stuck in too.

He's talking about you oldyella.... :wink:
It's a good thing he popped along...I've never used a megasquirt and trying to transfer knowledge from the Link, a couple of bike ecu's I've played with and what I could see on the www was starting to get tricky :lol:
Good to hear you've got 'er sorted now, gonna be interesting to see how it goes. :twisted:

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:14 pm

DEATH_INC wrote:
Heath wrote:Good to see the "collective intellegence" of ORE getting stuck in too.

He's talking about you oldyella.... :wink:
It's a good thing he popped along...I've never used a megasquirt and trying to transfer knowledge from the Link, a couple of bike ecu's I've played with and what I could see on the www was starting to get tricky :lol:
Good to hear you've got 'er sorted now, gonna be interesting to see how it goes. :twisted:

dam you coulf have fooled me either way :lol: :lol: , still more clued on to it compared to me.

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:33 am

Good to see the ORE forum has helped ya out!

Make sure you put up some vids of it running properly when you get your MSII back :mrgreen:

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:27 am

seeing the support and feedback supplied here in relation to MS has given me a bit more confidence to try MS in the future
my 4wd is not a truck

old mercedes never die but sometimes they do need some love

older cars are good,mercedes are better,older mercedes are the best

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:36 pm

so i have a question for all you megasquirt types out there i am thinking about doing megasquirt further done the line. will it make things easier if i source all the sensors injectors maf off one engine i am thinking about maybe getting all that sort off stuff off a 1uz and then fitting it to my older engine of a slightly larger size
my 4wd is not a truck

old mercedes never die but sometimes they do need some love

older cars are good,mercedes are better,older mercedes are the best

Paulballz
Hard Yaka

Postby Paulballz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:16 am

Hey mercutio, they are good systems once up an running as i stated a while back my mate has one running his rb30de and goes good. The beuty of them is they work with most parts therefore can use bits an peices of other engines, they actually do not require alot to get running coils / injectors / TPS (possibly other ways around this) and a vacuum line for MAP. Extras are used to get it running better.
The guy i got the unit new from is a great guy that has helped alot, and with him and the support of the guys here i was taught the basics needed to get it running from wiring it myself to trouble shooting as you can see. PM if you want the guys details that i purchased it from.

And for the rest of you guys still waiting for MS to turn up again not long now have had busy weekend so still havent done earth leads :roll: ..next week i have alot of spare time so should see some good progress...will keep forum up to date

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:27 am

dam this waiting, this weeks gone too slow already lol.

really cant wait to see it going.

so whats the next mod?

Paulballz
Hard Yaka

Postby Paulballz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:19 pm

Dirtydog wrote:dam this waiting, this weeks gone too slow already lol.

really cant wait to see it going.

so whats the next mod?

Haha tell me about it, not to long hopefully course has only got 2 weeks left also then will have more spare time between work.. Hmm funny you ask what the next mod is as just last night i was trying to look into whether or not it is legal to shorten chassis in N.Z...i am going to strengthen the front end for now prob just do the massy fegus tie rods and idle brace for now..Will S.A.S next but probley need to wait until i get back over to Western Aus and do some mining :? ... Then want to make a short wheel base Terrano at least 500mm shorter then put tray on back, or mount body and engine setup on SWB patrol chassis..my mind is always thinking :lol:

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:04 pm

alot of people have told me the terranos have the perfect wheelbase for 4x4ing, aparently the magic number is 100 inches for the best results.

if you end up wanting to put the swb chassis under it aparently you have to class the vehicle as scratch built.

and in my opinion i dont know if i would do it with a safari axle, yes they are strong and good, but the diffhead is huge and likes to bulldoze :lol:

all mine needs now is bigger tyres and it should be allright, then i might get those calmini lower transfer case gears.

Paulballz
Hard Yaka

Postby Paulballz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:57 pm

ahh that is very interesting to know, i guess i havent put to much thought into it but my old man has a SWB bighorn (not a fan in the slightest of isuzus) but must admit been so short it gets around some tricky stuff where i always tend to end up draggin the rear, although the SWB is a pig on the road especially the wet.
I guess i have to wait and see how the truck reacts to the new power plant :lol: ...the cv's and trans might of coped alright with the 80 odd HP diesel but will be in for a shock... Once funds stabilise and i do manage to get spending money again the truck will go back under the knife though, usual story want shorter wheel base, bigger tyres, higher lift and stronger drive train...Once she has 33's and can light up all four in the dry without snapping bits i will be close to satisfied

meatc
Hard Yaka

Postby meatc » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:02 pm

Dont go short. My zuk is now at SWB pootrol lenght and while its good for the tighter stuff, it is going under the knife next year and will grow a bit more. longer equals better handling and climbing at the marginal expense of ramp over. With the HP you will be producing you wont want to go shorter.

Awesome to see you got the problem sorted too. Despite there being a few more wires than a carby injection problems are a process of elimination. Cant wait to see this in the mud :D
Toy - Zuk chassis tub, hilux 4.88 axles and transfer, Nissan CA18DE motor and auto trans, sc12 supercharger, 32 10'5 simex, twin motor 8274 custom freespool. Well the parts are all there in various corners of the shed

Paulballz
Hard Yaka

Postby Paulballz » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:16 am

hey guys just a quick note,

Ecu is back plugged straight in and it runs like a champ now :D ,even with pump on... took it for a spin down the ride and forgot to check fuel..opps needed tow home :oops: but was all good, it sounded amazing and pulled pretty good although didnt give it great deal of stick, transmission selects well so project is getting pretty close for cert...Giving it another service today new plugs ect and some clean fuel..Will post a full post over the weekend..Thank again for all the help

Return to “Nissan”