Re: RB25Det Nissan Terrano

Postby Heath » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:22 pm

Video or it never happened!!! :mrgreen:

Great news mate. :)

Paulballz
Hard Yaka

Postby Paulballz » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:16 pm

Well it finally happened, been driving it around for few hours over weekend trying to let it break in...no major problems as of yet, all bolts staying nice and tight.. Small issue with trans since it isnt getting engine signal it does not slow truck down when back throttle off it "hunts" unless you shift it to second but will sort that.

Engine runs awesome i dont have fan mounted at moment so cant idle for to long but on road it sits at around 85c which is considered normal for this engine. It revs well although still trying to sort all vacuum leaks. I currently have engine boost solenoid disconnected so its only running 5psi not the normal 7-8psi which should make a difference. Comparing it to a car i would say the drive train robs alot of horse power especially the automatic. It comfortably pulls 2nd gear up to 100kph an realistically the truck is about the same speed as a normal 2lt car would be(i know lots of different 2lts but near enough).

The truck will be getting dyno tuned once certed and i will increase boost at the same time. I also noticed the throttle cable is not fully opening butterfly :roll:..All in all it still doesnt seem real that its running, and very hard to wipe smile off face when i start her up :D

Here is the video link to a small take off...sorry about long wait with just the bird sounds, the missus wasnt to keen to be filming on side of the road...many more to come http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RK0QUtCw44

http://youtu.be/qkfJDbChwc8

passengerpete
Hard Yaka

Postby passengerpete » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:36 pm

well done man, it sounds mint. ya don't hear terranos spooling up like that.
8) 8)

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:07 pm

AWESOME! :D Now to read your post from start to finish.............. 8)
Ok people, move along. Nothing to see here. Thank you, move along.
Ph 0212078472

Paulballz
Hard Yaka

Postby Paulballz » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:41 pm

thanks Pete it sure sounds different and sings in the high rpm's.

Haha thats alot of reading kiwipete, build blog aint quite yet finished i will keep up dating until trucks certed and handled some 4x4 missions.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:54 pm

damm just when i go over the gigs, dam dial up speed :x

Owell, 3 days to go lol

glad to hear that its running though, and to hear that its like driving a 2ltr is pretty good, considering the only thing i can relate the terrano to is a 900cc car :lol:

Paulballz
Hard Yaka

Postby Paulballz » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:44 pm

haha poor bugger on dial up...Spent an hour on truck tonight and happened to find that the truck was only running at 78% throttle, so quick adjustment of throttle cable and shes alot more powerful :) .

1st and 2nd gear takes off quite well and reaches 5psi boost in very low rpm, once she begins to rev and the vct kicks in it really throws ya back in seat all the way to 100kph then into third. I am not game enough yet to give 3rd a boot full as i would imagine it would be some where near the 140kph mark. After driving it at 100% throttle and feeling it throw ya in seat i would say its abit more powerful than standard 2lt now.

I am not sure how the truck will be 4x4n as it is now like driving my 2stroke dirt bike, all or nothing 8) and would imagine the turbo kick will brake the tyres free alot. I am going to wire the 2stage boost controller (standard one) up to a switch in the cab so can run the 5psi or 8psi. This will be handy for long drives and slippery situations.

All in all the even though the engine is detuned at the moment with lower then standard boost and rich tune it still is plenty for a 4x4, it doesnt take long to realise the truck still brakes like a pig.

The transmission is holding out so far and am currently trying to sort out the wiring to it so it understands i am slowing down to aid in the braking.

This week i am fitting my new rubber flares and getting the radiator fan mounted. Am still undecided if i am going to do the massey fergus tierod upgrade before the cert or just leave it until next year when i will hopefully safari maunal and SAS.

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:54 pm

As I understand it with the Massey tre's, you have to take your inner hubs off to get the tapers drilled out?
Wouldn't it be much easier to go with the 2WD conversion that the others (and me soon) are doing?

Otherwise I am happy to hear you have the motor sorted.

Yes braking is an issue eh?
Ph 0212078472

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:04 pm

na go sas, its the way to go otherwise youll be braking heaps of stuff lol,

and whats this about massey stuff?

Paulballz
Hard Yaka

Postby Paulballz » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:37 pm

kiwipete wrote:As I understand it with the Massey tre's, you have to take your inner hubs off to get the tapers drilled out?
Wouldn't it be much easier to go with the 2WD conversion that the others (and me soon) are doing?

Yeah i am to lazy to find all the bits i need though. Im the sort of person that needs all the bits right in front of me on a list. I have read over a few of your guys forums on the 2wd upgrade but cant seem to get my head around it :oops: .Would be interested though as kind of need to sort it before it goes for cert.

The massey ferguson is easy for me to perform as i have lathe here and can source the correct taper reamer. The adjusting arms are all simple bits and peices to machine. The only thing i do not like about this is you need to heat and change one of the tierods angles. Dont think cert guy be to happy with heat on steering components.

Here the write up dirtydog http://www.nissan4x4.co.za/forum/forum_ ... PN=0&TPN=1
And dont worry this is only temp until i can afford SAS, there no questioning i am going to SAS at when can.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:40 pm

cheers for that link, it will be an interesting read.

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:14 pm

Paulballz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:As I understand it with the Massey tre's, you have to take your inner hubs off to get the tapers drilled out?

Yeah i am to lazy to find all the bits i need though. Im the sort of person that needs all the bits right in front of me on a list. I have read over a few of your guys forums on the 2wd upgrade but cant seem to get my head around it :oops: .Would be interested though as kind of need to sort it before it goes for cert.

The massey ferguson is easy for me to perform as i have lathe here and can source the correct taper reamer. The adjusting arms are all simple bits and peices to machine. The only thing i do not like about this is you need to heat and change one of the tierods angles. Dont think cert guy be to happy with heat on steering components.

Here the write up dirtydog http://www.nissan4x4.co.za/forum/forum_ ... PN=0&TPN=1
And dont worry this is only temp until i can afford SAS, there no questioning i am going to SAS at when can.

I knew i'd seen that link before, I saved the photos but not the link ages ago (years) and forgot where to fond it. It is certainly a bullet proof system, but what will give instead of a bent tre with side forces?
Ph 0212078472

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:08 am

that was quite good to rear really, but as Kiwipete said, im sure it will cause problems later on.

i didnt relise how the calmini kit worked untill now, i think it looks like a good system.

but i finally got broadband speed back, so time to watch the vid :mrgreen:

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:13 am

what did they do to the back of this truck?????

Oh and dam that sounds nice, good acceleration too.

Paulballz
Hard Yaka

Postby Paulballz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:34 am

well after rereading the write up on 2wd setup i have noticed it now has list which i did not see last time so i will start gathering these bits and go ahead with 2wd setup.

And as for that truck dirtydog it caught my attention also, i decided i like the look of this...alot...wonder how much drama getting it road worthy..Am unsure what the hell happened to fuel tank? id hate to have it in cab

Paulballz
Hard Yaka

Postby Paulballz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Update on the Truck

Over the last couple weeks i have been doing short road tests on the wagon as it is not certified yet, i managed to squeeze a slim 14" fan behind the radiator with around 5mm clearance. Revved the engine under load and it does not touch so that is good, tried running it both ways as it is reversible, blowing air from engine bay out front was no good (figured but wanted to test) sucking air through it keeps the engine at thermostat opening temp :) .

Run into my first automatic trans problem yesterday :cry: . The diesel engine used a potentiometer and RPM signal on the diesel pump to relate information back to the T.C.U. Because i have not had these plugged in due to new setup while slowing down the transmission is hunting. This hunting is due to no signals from potentiometer and rpm therefore T.C.U is guessing engine is idling so it is releasing TC so no engine brake what so ever in 'D', but can shift it down to 2nd and 1st and TC locks. After 30 odd km drive in the weekend i as coasting down the hill near home and developed a loud whining from TC when throttle off (guessing it was running dry because lock up solenoid released oil), lucky it went as soon as throttle was applied but cant of been good for the old TC. I have known about this problem and am currently trying to figure it all out. I am thinking i will source a potentiometer from the td27 diesel pump and modify it to fit to my throttle body (opposite side from TPS), that way trans will get signal and MS will get signal. Since the diesel electronics are simple it shouldnt take much to fool the trans. The re4r01a transmission is so popular that out of my 12 wire diagrams not one matches my model (re4r01a model:45X63). If anyone has a transmission diagram that shows PIN 10 on T.C.U as BLUE/GREEN could you please let me know.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great here.

Also is someone has a busted td27 pump or parts they want to sell please let me know

As for the engine, it is running well with no abnormal knocks ect. Spoke to megatuner and it is booked in for full dyno tune in feb. He said until then listen for detonation and don't thrash her to much just in case, even though tune is set rich.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:22 pm

Paulballz wrote:Update on the Truck

The re4r01a transmission is so popular that out of my 12 wire diagrams not one matches my model (re4r01a model:45X63). If anyone has a transmission diagram that shows PIN 10 on T.C.U as BLUE/GREEN could you please let me know.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great here.

ummm. the re4r01a trans is the same as the GTSt and GTS4 nissan skyline, in hindsight you should have used the auto trans loom and ecu that the engine you currently have should have used. all plug and play and runs off of the TPS.

The only difference between the trans in the SUV and the trans in the HNR/BNR/BR/RD series platforms(Skyline/cefiro/laurel/patrol oddly enough) is the transfer cases. which are a simple on/off arrangement.

Pin Use Socket Plug
Wire Colour Wire Colour 1st 2nd 3rd 4th

1 Solenoid "B" Yellow Green On On Off Off
2 Solenoid "A" Green Green/Black trace On Off Off On
3 Overrun Solenoid * Grey Green/Yellow trace Off
4 Pressure Solenoid + Red Green
5 Lockup Solenoid Blue Green/Red trace Off Off Off On
6 Temp Sensor White Green/White trace
7 Temp Sensor Black Yellow/Red trace
8 4WD Temp Switch

Over Run Solenoid Activates Upon Various Throttle Openings
* Note: Apply power to Overrun Solenoid (To be Off)

your best bet is to take the senders and plug arrangements from a skyline GTSt/4 trans along with its loom and ecu and plug it straight into the RB engine loom. this will solve the pentameter and over run issue
Last edited by Crash bandicoot on Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:31 pm

I shall clarify that the actual transmissions are the same, not the electronic components or transfer cases.

Paulballz
Hard Yaka

Postby Paulballz » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:22 am

Crash bandicoot wrote:I shall clarify that the actual transmissions are the same, not the electronic components or transfer cases.

Hey Crash bandicoot Cool thanks for that, im pretty certain the trans are the same except input shaft spline numbers change.

Im in way to deep to even consider changing electronics over from a petrol as the engine stand alone ECU does not support a TCU therefore Petrol TCU will not be getting required signals. There are a few different re4r01a models but i believe the diesel model that i have (45X63 with “K” series TCU, identification can be found on right side of gearbox) will be the easiest to get running due to minimal engine input needed. Nearly all the gear box wiring is standalone i.e. kick down throttle (pedel), O/D, Hold, temp senders and RPM ect. The only signal my TCU is not getting is the original potentiometer off the diesel pump so it doesn’t know when throttle is applied or idling, the rest of the loom is in and working for TCU.

The two options I see here are:

1)(Option if the potentiometer goes to the ECU then TCU) Get a potentiometer off a td27 pump and modify it to suit new throttle linkage that should be enough to get the diesel ECU talking enough to send signals to TCU.

2)If TCU gets signal directly from potentiometer then just add one and it should be fine all it does is modify voltage between idle / full throttle.

All the re4r01a manuals even the d21 manual shows different TCU wiring then what i have which is a pain in the a**. Most the wiring is the same except for pin 10/11/12. Which are the wires needed for potentiometer. It like working in the dark but 2 wires are power circuit (5v and earth which are reversible) and then the one signal wire which may go to ECU then TCU.

slide
Hard Yaka

Postby slide » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:36 am

Paulballz wrote: I am thinking i will source a potentiometer from the td27 diesel pump and modify it to fit to my throttle body (opposite side from TPS), that way trans will get signal and MS will get signal. Since the diesel electronics are simple it shouldnt take much to fool the trans. The re4r01a transmission is so popular..

Couple ideas that popped into my head as I've read this. I'll leave it to you to check the viability of them.
1- rd28 tps most likely the same as td27, and may be easier to source (i've got some laying around here)
2- does your rb25 have the throttlebody with twin tps on it? if so are you using both for MS? If not, may be woth checking the unused part- it may have the same resistance change type as td27.(or it could be just idle/full throttle sensor)

Paulballz
Hard Yaka

Postby Paulballz » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:07 am

slide wrote:Couple ideas that popped into my head as I've read this. I'll leave it to you to check the viability of them.
1- rd28 tps most likely the same as td27, and may be easier to source (i've got some laying around here)
2- does your rb25 have the throttlebody with twin tps on it? if so are you using both for MS? If not, may be woth checking the unused part- it may have the same resistance change type as td27.(or it could be just idle/full throttle sensor)

good thinking slide i will try look into the difference between rd and td. I will need to confirm but pretty sure it only has one since the engine was a original manual engine. But in saying that it has a few plugs coming off throttle body which i will look into and let you know. How much do you after for potentiometer of rd if they similar

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:48 pm

The Tps may have to wired manually. providing a +5V wire an earth wire and a shielded sender wire direct to the transmissions ecu. you should be able to get a +5V feed off of the ECU loom on the engine.

I do recommend slide's idea of trying the dual TPS idea as one will be redundant now with a aftermarket ecu and loom. reason two is that this is the exact thing the transmission is looking for.

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:04 am

If all you need to give the TCU is a TPS signal. You can take the existing TPS signal which gets fed into the MSII , tap into it, feed into TCU. It is just a parallel connection with your single TPS signal feeding two ECU's. Just like a single 12V power supply splitting to supply to headlights.

Before doing this, check the resistance of the TPS input on the TCU to make sure you won't fry anything in the MSII. I expect it will be a very high resistance but its always good to check. Anything over 1000Ohms should be sweet as.

It would be good to have all the earths on the TCU at the same location as the MSII earths or atleast a connection between the two points.

As mentioned, you need to check the resistance range from your RB TPS is the same as the deisel.

juz
Hard Yaka

Postby juz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:22 am

I run a Radesigns Trans controller in my Prado behind the 1uz, I see they are now doing them for the Nissan RE4RO1A also, I use this and a button for TC lockup. Works great, although you may be wanting to stay full Auto?

http://www.radesignsproducts.com/Rail.html
Softroader VW Amarok nowadays.... :roll:

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:54 am

oldyella wrote:If all you need to give the TCU is a TPS signal. You can take the existing TPS signal which gets fed into the MSII , tap into it, feed into TCU. It is just a parallel connection with your single TPS signal feeding two ECU's. Just like a single 12V power supply splitting to supply to headlights.

Before doing this, check the resistance of the TPS input on the TCU to make sure you won't fry anything in the MSII. I expect it will be a very high resistance but its always good to check. Anything over 1000Ohms should be sweet as.

It would be good to have all the earths on the TCU at the same location as the MSII earths or atleast a connection between the two points.

As mentioned, you need to check the resistance range from your RB TPS is the same as the deisel.

thats why i was thinking to use the redundant tps as apposed to splitting one signal to two units

Paulballz
Hard Yaka

Postby Paulballz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:35 am

juz wrote:I run a Radesigns Trans controller in my Prado behind the 1uz, I see they are now doing them for the Nissan RE4RO1A also, I use this and a button for TC lockup. Works great, although you may be wanting to stay full Auto?

http://www.radesignsproducts.com/Rail.html

Interesting cheers for that will look into it...I am not wanting full auto just want it running as vehicle certer has given me a tight deadline if i want truck certed this year.

Yep thats what i mentioned in first post about it, was going to fit td27 potentiomter (TPS) to other side of throttle body so it has standard RB one for engine MS, the other for TCU...I tried taping into the wires and splitting with no luck, does not help i'm working in the dark with 4 of the wires as i cannot find the wire diagram for td27 / re4r01a and secondly i dont really want to mess with MS now its running as the TPS was caused all dramas for 5 weeks. FOR YOU GUYS WITH TD27 AUTOMATIC could you please tell me what colour wires (should be 6pin Plug) are running into your diesel pump, there should be potentiometer up front (has big black plastic capping) and possibly RPM signal at back.

EDIT: Found a diagram just trying to confirm if Potentiometer needs 5v(or voltage needed) or if can just run 12v into it.

Wish i still had old engine as these potentiometers are hard to get, need to find someone with wrecked truck.

Most wires in all of them are the same but 4 are different and they are the ones i need.

Have not managed to find out if rd28 will work but am willing to try it, so if you interested in selling PM me please and ill give it a go. Also if anyone has Terrano manual that shows PIN 10 on T.C.U as BLUE/GREEN could you please let me know, most the ones i have found are PIN 10 PINK
Last edited by Paulballz on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paulballz
Hard Yaka

Postby Paulballz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:40 am

Crash bandicoot wrote:The Tps may have to wired manually. providing a +5V wire an earth wire and a shielded sender wire direct to the transmissions ecu. you should be able to get a +5V feed off of the ECU loom on the engine.

I do recommend slide's idea of trying the dual TPS idea as one will be redundant now with a aftermarket ecu and loom. reason two is that this is the exact thing the transmission is looking for.

An yep will tap into MS 5v for power if that is voltage needed for 2nd TPS

Paulballz
Hard Yaka

Postby Paulballz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:16 pm

update:

Studied 2 different diagrams that i managed to put together to work wires out. Turns out yet again i was wrong, after alot of ringing around i found out that the throttle position or potentiometer does not control the engine braking either like i had assumed it had. The Throttle Idle / Full solenoids do and the RB engine did have these. So i taped into old wiring using the Voltage feed from the TD ECU and Wired the RB IDLE and FULL solenoids. Now the truck is engine braking :D

Also thought bugger it and did as mentioned and wired the potentiometer signal for trans into my TPS signal feed to MS. It made shifting alot better but from what i have found the TD27 potentiometer is 10v and my TPS is only running 5v so i am guessing this is why i have to give alot of gas to get it to change down even with "POWER" switch on (Full throttle is 5v on new setup where that is only 1/2 throttle if had the 10v)...Still going to modify a potentiometer and run a separate TCU signal.

Return to “Nissan”