terrano auto hubs

Moderator: Mark

oljamesyboy
Hard Yaka

terrano auto hubs

Postby oljamesyboy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:59 pm

hey all well i got stuck today in a place i shouldn't of (pics to come) this has made me think my hubs are not working. whats the best way to test these
i got under truck on side of road and turned front drive shaft and turn freely when not in 4wd but looked up while in 4wd dose this mean huds are working?

thanks

slide
Hard Yaka

Re: terrano auto hubs

Postby slide » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:14 pm

sounds like they aren't...
Do a quick search, been covered quite a bit here just recently.
Best way to test? Find a nice greasy uphill patch of mud, see if you can drive up in 4wd and ya should see the mud spinning off of front wheels. (or get ya mate to watch)
And if not, reverse off (thats why you chose an uphill patch), and go test to see why 4x4 not working :-)
Nath

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:16 pm

oljamesyboy wrote:hey all well i got stuck today in a place i shouldn't of (pics to come) this has made me think my hubs are not working. whats the best way to test these
i got under truck on side of road and turned front drive shaft and turn freely when not in 4wd but looked up while in 4wd dose this mean huds are working?

thanks

No, this means your transfer case is working.
In 2wd if you rotate your front driveshaft your hubs should lock in and stop the driveshaft from turning after 1-1.5 turns.

oljamesyboy
Hard Yaka

Postby oljamesyboy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:31 pm

Smurf wrote:
oljamesyboy wrote:hey all well i got stuck today in a place i shouldn't of (pics to come) this has made me think my hubs are not working. whats the best way to test these

thanks

No, this means your transfer case is working.
In 2wd if you rotate your front driveshaft your hubs should lock in and stop the driveshaft from turning after 1-1.5 turns.

will give this a try tomo thanks

oljamesyboy
Hard Yaka

Postby oljamesyboy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:21 pm

looks like need new hubs drive shaft just keeps spinning in 2wd.

anyone in chch got any for sale for 91 terrano

phaedrus
Driver/Navigator

Postby phaedrus » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:05 pm

Remember that you've got a diff so it's possibly just one of the hubs, not both.

If you get stuck (sorry!) and can't get one I can probably find a good unit here, although I'd rather sell the whole vehicle...

Cheers, P.

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:15 pm

To find out if one hub is at fault. Try turning each front axle by itself, if the hub on that side is ok it will lock in, and you won't be able to turn the axle any further. Then turn the same axle the opposite way and you should feel/hear the hub unlock and then lock again as you continue to turn it. If it does lock, remember to rotate it back again to the unlocked position.

Return to “Nissan”