Terrano auto stalled, then starts and immediatly stalls.

Moderator: Mark

Gardengnome
Truck Hore

Terrano auto stalled, then starts and immediatly stalls.

Postby Gardengnome » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:30 am

Hi all,

I have the inlaws 1996 2.7TD auto Terrano at the mo and while driving it home and stopping for gas it had a moment on me which is of concern.

Pulled in for gas, over shot the pump, slipped it into reverse and it cut out. Put it in park and hit the starter. It would fire up ok but stalled immediatly. Run the auto through the selections several times with no change. popped the bonnet and did the usual look hoping that lifting the bonnet would fix the issue. Tryed the primer pump thinking fuel pressure (had 1/4 of tank by the way) and it seemed hard already.

20 min of trying it burst into life and stayed alive. Has not done it since, about a dozen starts now.

We are going to sell this vehicle for them but don't want to land someone with a dodgy vehicle.

Could it be dodgy connections in the shifter selection or would this stop the starter from the get go? I'm leaning towards a fuel blockage but not too sure. Had a bit of a web search with no luck.

I'll pull the fuel filter and see what that looks like tonight. But if anyone has any other ideas or has had this issue before and can provide some insight I would much appreciate it.

Cheers in advance. Phil.

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Re: Terrano auto stalled, then starts and immediatly stalls.

Postby kbushnz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:37 am

Gardengnome wrote:Could it be dodgy connections in the shifter selection or would this stop the starter from the get go? I'm leaning towards a fuel blockage but not too sure. Had a bit of a web search with no luck.

If the connections were dodgy it wouldn't let the starter kick over.
The fact it turns over rules out any issues with trans selector...

More likely a fuel issue, there is a strainer / gauze at the pump...which blocks up... Been a few threads on here re this... with pics..
Just need to search...

Some others may have extra ideas
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

Gardengnome
Truck Hore

Postby Gardengnome » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:56 am

Hi Calvin,

Cheers for confirming the shifter switch thing.

Had a wee search and found some posts regarding the guaze under a banjo fitting. Will have a look tonight also.

Thanks heaps. Phil.

phaedrus
Driver/Navigator

Postby phaedrus » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:40 pm

Phil, if it's a '96 then I imagine it has the electronic fuel pump?

If so then they are known for playing up, unfortunately. I had intermittent shutdowns (amongst other things) with mine until it was sorted.

That said I don't recall it refusing to start for such a long time - which could indicate something other than the pump itself. If it is the electronic unit then there are a number of electrical scenarios that could give rise to the problem you've had.

Anyway check out to see what pump you have, the electronic one doesn't have a throttle cable. If so, and it happens again, then there are some things we could suggest to (hopefully) track down the problem.

The issue Calvin mentioned is a known one but more usually occurs on higher throttle openings and/or on a more permanent basis - it's rarely intermittent. Intermittent is more usually reserved for electrical problems...

Cheers, P.

pressy
Hard Yaka

Postby pressy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:31 pm

Hi just a thought I have come across a asimilar problem and it was the filler cap breather hole being block was causing a vacuum in the fuel tank. when it does it again, remove the cap and see if you hear the air being sucked in when removing the cap.

Return to “Nissan”