Torsion Bar's Sagging?

Moderator: Mark

BogBoy
Hard Yaka

Torsion Bar's Sagging?

Postby BogBoy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:54 pm

Ok so the front of my D21 is jacked right up at the front. Its only gone up about 1 inch but then when I jack each lower arm individually the right one compresses about 10mm while the left side compresses about 2 inches before lifting the 4wd up.

The back has a set of 2 inch lift springs in it

Are they stuffed?

If so what are my options?

Reindex them?

A set of 2nd hand items?

A set of heavy duty after market items?

Thanks in advance :D

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: Torsion Bar's Sagging?

Postby Crash bandicoot » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:32 pm

they are adjustable.... follow the torsion bar back along the chassis you will find a rather large and long bolt usually with a 22ml head.

clean up the threads really well and lubricate them before moving them as the dirt and crap will only end up binding the bolts up tight as a nuns proverbial.

jack the front of the truck up so there is no wieght on the front wheels and back of the locking nut and then wind up the bolts till they are even.

I find that the right one should not be quite as wound up as the left as to track true on our cambered roads.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:32 pm

Ok, so does it sit level? Side to side at the front and the rear? If so put a jack under the CENTER of the front and see if it still does with the wheels elevated, and repeat this with a jack under the rear. It won't be hard to figure out where the problem is....

BogBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby BogBoy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:32 pm

They are at the end of the thread. Left sits much lower than the right.

When braking it dives to the front left and when taking off the front lifts up....

Re index first?

SupraLux
Complete Bastard

Postby SupraLux » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:52 am

Yep, the adjusters should be removable, move it round one spline then wind it up again... I've never seen them sag that badly, was it owned by a well-meaning but misguided boy racer at some point who though it should be lowered?

What condition are the front shocks in? Good shocks will mitigate the diving somewhat and make it more stable to drive.

BogBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby BogBoy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:09 pm

Front shocks are poked..... So new shocks front and rear too?

So only one spline tooth not two on the left?

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:17 pm

BogBoy wrote:They are at the end of the thread. Left sits much lower than the right.

When braking it dives to the front left and when taking off the front lifts up....

Re index first?

Yeh, easy. I jack 'er up, loosen the adjusters right off, then undo the bracket that holds the torsions to the front lower arm (3 bolts), slide it back up the torsion, turn it anti-clockwise (looking from the back) on the left, and clockwise on the right, I'd go 2 left and 1 right, though it may even be worth trying 3 left and 2 right if it's that bad...depends how high you're gonna go. Then slide the bracket back up to the arm and bolt 'er back on, let 'er down and adjust appropriately. Lube up the threads on the adjusters before you start helps too. Some guys say don't adjust them loaded, though I've done mine plenty of times with no problems, but it's your call on that one. Roll 'er backwards and forwards a bit after each adjustment so it settles properly. Make sure you get it aligned afterwards too.

What makes you say the shocks are poked? Try lifting it up first...when I got mine it felt like it needed front shocks, until I wound it up off the bumpstops a bit. Having a set of new shocks will make it ride/handle way better though, especially if you spend the $$$ on good one's.

BogBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby BogBoy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:49 am

I still have the factory ones in it but when i flick the switch nothing happens to them

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:58 pm

BogBoy wrote:I still have the factory ones in it but when i flick the switch nothing happens to them

How many k's on it?

BogBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby BogBoy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:00 pm

262,000 on the RUC but you never know with diesels

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:44 pm

BogBoy wrote:262,000 on the RUC but you never know with diesels

Lol...they'll be well shot then :lol: . Go with newies for sure.

BogBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby BogBoy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:07 am

Any ideas on what I should go for? I have found a set that are a bigger dia and longer too, Cant remember the brand but they are bright orange..... :?

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:51 am

You'll get varying opinions on this...I prefer the adjustable Rancho rs9000xl shocks Myself. Last set of Rancho's I had lasted Me 12 years....I replaced 'em with the same.

Return to “Nissan”