Another QD32eti issue....

Moderator: Mark

nickmcdonald
Driver/Navigator

Another QD32eti issue....

Postby nickmcdonald » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:27 pm

Hi guys.

Ive been having a long running issue with my auto QD32eti terrano. Whenever I shift from park to drive / reverse, or back from drive into park etc....the engine stutters. The revs rapidly drop to around 400rpm, leap up to about 1000rpm, then settle down. This is accompanied by a stationary 'bunny hop', and is getting incredibly frustrating, not to mention the possible trans damage it may result in. Sometimes the engine will actually stall completely when it stutters.

Also, regardless of whether the engine is hot or cold, whenever I take off from a stop, for example traffic lights, the nissan bunny hops away. I feed it a bit of gas, and instead of pulling away smoothly as an auto should, it gives a leap before taking off smoothly. And lastly, before the engine is up to a good hot operating temperature, it sometimes shudders when idling....especially when coasting to a stop at an intersection. Ill be slowing down coming up behind a car, and the revs will fluctuate and the car shudders, before it settles down. This clears up after 10 minutes of driving, and may only happen a few times a week.

Now, ive done a bit of research which resulted in me replacing the Crank Angle Sensor, which unfortunately didnt achieve squat. Some people bring up the injector pump issue, but im hesistant to label that the problem. It starts like a dream, idles fine, dosnt blow smoke, and dosnt stutter at all whilst actually travelling with speed.

I should also mention that the auto trans was rebuilt less than 20,000kms ago, so Id like to be able to rule out a fault in that.

I had the vehicle plugged into a diagnostic machine, which came up with error code 022, from memory. This indicated a faulty Variable Cam timing solenoid, which may be gunked up. The error code description also mentioned another possibly faulty part, which I cant remember. Ill find the printout on the weekend and report back. How accurate does this sound?

Any feedback will be much appreciated, as these faults are really spoiling an otherwise immaculate, beautifully performing vehicle. Cheers.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Re: Another QD32eti issue....

Postby Dirtydog » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:29 pm

could it be something to do with the torque converter?

im just stabbing in the dark here.

but sounds like something gearbox related not engine related, or maybe something up with the trans ecu?

check for any moisture, i know that can play havoc with electronics.

slide
Hard Yaka

Postby slide » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:37 pm

the fault codes are really only ever useful if they get cleared straightaway, then checked again soon after to see if they have re-logged into system.
If they do, then checks of that system are worthwhile.
Sometimes a fault code will log once, then stay in memory, but have nothing to do with the poor running.
It sounds like it maybe has a poor idle system, struggling to cope with the change of load between neutral, ingear and takeoff.
What would case that? Hmm, maybe a sensor playing up or air leak? (eti uses airflow sensor). Does sound like a engine rather than trans issue, but without roadtesting myself...
Good luck as some of these issues can be hairpulling frustrating to find....

sibainmud
Hard Yaka

Postby sibainmud » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:04 pm

INJECTION PUMP :!:
Lots of issues with the ETI pump :roll:
or.............it's farked and sell it to me for pittance :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
I keep looking for the loose nut behind the wheel, but I can't find it!!

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:06 pm

sibainmud wrote:INJECTION PUMP :!:

Cheers,

or me :wink:
Ok people, move along. Nothing to see here. Thank you, move along.
Ph 0212078472

JWalker
Driver/Navigator

Postby JWalker » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:19 pm

sibainmud wrote:INJECTION PUMP :!:

Cheers,

What he said....without the farked part...just a costly repair
see this post
http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=27625
1998 Nissan Terrano (QD3.2ETI)

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:31 pm

would it be that hard to take the injector pump cable and pedalbox from the earlier non eti?
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:33 pm

is there any way to get a mechanical pump hooked up to one?

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:47 pm

Dirtydog wrote:is there any way to get a mechanical pump hooked up to one?

from what if seen the bolt up is the same its the linkages as the eti is fly by wire.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:48 pm

hmmm, cheers for the info.

nickmcdonald
Driver/Navigator

Postby nickmcdonald » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:48 pm

Dredging up an old thread here....

I took my truck, still displaying the same problems i mentioned earlier, to Auckland Automatics for some diagnosis. The incredibly knowledgeable Ken there more or less ruled out any issues with the auto trans, and informed me that the engine is logging some 'injector' fault codes. This info, combined with the information I can gather from this http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/ ... 25&t=27625 thread leads me to believe Im in for a new injector pump.

What actually goes wrong with these things? From what I can gather, they are a fair bit of work to get to? Has anyone done one of these themselves? Failing a DIY job, can anyone recommend a shop that has done a few of these jobs before? And finally, how much of a hit to the wallet should I expect for someone to do this for me? Cheers.

phaedrus
Driver/Navigator

Postby phaedrus » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:05 pm

Nick, I've never looked at the QD32 but it's possible they're similar to the TD27eti (perhaps someone else could confirm or otherwise?) as these appear to have problems not dissimilar to yours...

If they are the same I did do a writeup on here of what I found in my TD27 'electronic' injection pump when I took it apart. It's not a fix (I modified the vehicle and put a manual pump in its place) but it may be of some use to you if you're going to have a look yourself.

If you do, and locate the problem, it'd be good to hear what it turns out to be.

FWIW it's worth I was quoted around $2000 to recon the pump, which I wasn't prepared to spend. I was informed the 'electronic unit' would be replaced as part of the job. Given what I've seen I'm not convinced that would be necessary every time.

Cheers, P.

nickmcdonald
Driver/Navigator

Postby nickmcdonald » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:52 pm

From what I gather TD27's are fairly similiar to QD32's. I have heard of people replacing the electronic units with mechanical ones. Ill do a bit of research and see if this is easily achievable on the 3.2.

Im in the same boat as you were when it comes to forking out....Im not quite prepared to spend upwards of 2 grand on something that at the moment, is more of an annoyance then a drivability issue. Cheers for the insight.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:52 pm

just chuck a td27 in it, with the QD32 intake manifold and an intercoller, pushing 14 pounds of boost.

will go like the clappers lol, and far cheaper than 2 grand. well, if ya do the work yourself....

sibainmud
Hard Yaka

Postby sibainmud » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:01 pm

Dirtydog wrote:just chuck a td27 in it, with the QD32 intake manifold and an intercooler, pushing 30 pounds of boost with a custom turbo.

will go like the clappers lol, and far better option for 2 grand. well, if ya do the work yourself....

Fixed it for ya :P
I keep looking for the loose nut behind the wheel, but I can't find it!!

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:04 pm

but then he started breaking stuff all the time.

14 seems like a safe number to go for.....

Return to “Nissan”