Hi...and a couple of [Terrano] questions :-)

Moderator: Mark

Freddy
Winch master

Hi...and a couple of [Terrano] questions :-)

Postby Freddy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:18 pm

hi guys,
been lurking on here for a while, and thought I'd better join up and pick your brains.

I'm from Chch and have recently purchased an R50 Terrano (1997). It's a low ks diesel automatic in pretty good nick. It sits in the garage for most of the week so it's pretty pampered!

While I know a fair bit about the mechanics of vehicles generally, I've never owned a diesel before so I've been reading up about what you guys get up to with your machines. Some hard cases on here! From what I can figure out, the 2.7 turbo diesel became intercooled with the R50...so mine is intercooled...yes? If so, is the intercooler just down underneath the left headlight? I have a couple of mates with diesel R50s, and they have a little radiator grill under their left headlights too.

My other question is about EGR systems. It seems that there's quite a bit of info (and debate) on these and on this forum. I want to remove it (since I read that it makes your engine breathe more cleanly, is better for your turbo, and possibly might give you a couple more herbs) but I'm not sure which way is the best way. It seems I can just block it off (via vacuum hose?) OR I can get it properly/completely removed and some sort of plates added. With either option, will this lead to problems with the mix of air and diesel entering the engine? Ie. will getting rid of EGR lead to tuning problems? If I add an EGT meter (not sure why I need one, just for fun really!) then should this be done at the same time as the EGR removal?

Finally, I'd like to put some roof racks on her. It seems I don't really have the rails that poke up, just some flat strips on a flat roof with what feel like three 'plates' down each side. I guess you can put rails in here...but I've seen a few different styles of Terrano roof rack so I'm a bit confused. Some don't have obvious rails and just go directly over the roof east-west, and then some go east-west but on top of prominent north-south rails. Hmm. Any advice...or any for sale?

Cheers
Last edited by Freddy on Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Re: Hi...and a couple of questions :-)

Postby Dirtydog » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:27 pm

howdy and welcome,

im not too sure about the intercoolers, mine a 1990 (old school) non intercooled one, soon to have one though.

As for the egt guage, its quite important, once you start modifiying your engine youll be glad you got one, easy way to save money on replacement parts.

as for the roofracks, i got some of the wreckers for 20 bucks, of a grand Cherokee, and just rivited them to the roof, 4 down each side and never had a problem, just make sure you put a bit of windscreen sealand before and after you put the rivits in and it wont leak.

my brand are rolla racks i think

owell, good luck

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:09 pm

sure your 1997 terrano is a TD27ti if its an R50 should be a QD32eti if it was 2.7 it's be a D21.

And yes if your terrano is an R50 the intercooler is front mounted.

yes inserting a blank plate or removing the EGR system is what we would call preventative maintance.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

sibainmud
Hard Yaka

Postby sibainmud » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:25 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:sure your 1997 terrano is a TD27ti if its an R50 should be a QD32eti if it was 2.7 it's be a D21.

yes inserting a blank plate or removing the EGR system is what we would call preventative maintance.

R50's came out with both TD's and QD's....so I thought. :?

Cheers
I keep looking for the loose nut behind the wheel, but I can't find it!!

slide
Hard Yaka

Postby slide » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:53 pm

Correct, r50 comes out both td27eti and qd32eti. both have front(side) mounted intercooler.
Roof racks- best to go see someone who sells them, see what options they have.
Egr removal easiest to just disconnect plumbing to stop working. Best to do it that way, make sure computer won't chuck a hissyfit before permanently. (newer commonrail diesels will throw a fault code when egr stopped from working)

Freddy
Winch master

Postby Freddy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:25 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:sure your 1997 terrano is a TD27ti if its an R50 should be a QD32eti if it was 2.7 it's be a D21.

yep, it's definitely an R50 with 2.7 turbo. Good to know it's intercooled.
See --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Pathfinder#Second_generation_R50_series_.281996.E2.80.932004.29

I guess I will miss the fun of strapping on an intercooler, like some of you guys with earlier Terranos! :wink:

With this 'blank plate', is there a pattern or dimensions anywhere? I've had a quick internet search, no luck. One fella in Australia makes them but for Patrols and Safaris etc., not Terranos it seems.

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Re: Hi...and a couple of [Terrano] questions :-)

Postby DEATH_INC » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:08 am

If you're gonna leave everything attached, get a gasket from the intake manifold end, and make a sheetmetal 'plate' the same shape as the gasket, but with no hole. Then just insert it between the pipe and manifold so it blocks it off. That way the ecu will think it's all on there and working normally...but it isn't. The exhaust gas is well cool enough at the inlet manifold end, I had an ally sheetmetal plate in mine for ages before I removed the whole thing..

Return to “Nissan”