nissain 1991 2.7 outo diesel fuel use

Moderator: Mark

philip121
Hard Yaka

nissain 1991 2.7 outo diesel fuel use

Postby philip121 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:45 pm

i have one of these two things i need to know what diesel econmy should i get....... my one runs ok but on real steep hills its flat to the floor and the temp goes up are these terranos any good
or can this be fixed

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: nissain 1991 2.7 outo diesel fuel use

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:00 pm

its nissan for starters.

followed by auto.

and I would have to say the amount of fuel used is relative to more then just the age of the engine and the capacity.

for example.

My 1998 Nissan Mistral automatic is powered by a TD27eti.

This tells us that it is

1 Intercooled
2 turbo charged
3 computer controlled injection system.

Then there are variables such as.

Boost controllers, aftermarket parts etc etc.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

sibainmud
Hard Yaka

Postby sibainmud » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:04 pm

philip121 wrote:I have one of these two things that I need to know. What diesel economy should I get? My one runs ok, but on real steep hills, it's flat to the floor and the temp goes up. Are these terranos any good?
or can this be fixed?

Fixed for ya :wink:
Now we can all read it AND understand so I have improved your chances of an answer :P
I don't do autos so have no idea of their range.

Cheers,
I keep looking for the loose nut behind the wheel, but I can't find it!!

philip121
Hard Yaka

Postby philip121 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:07 pm

please then tell me what ks to a tank also how much in L will my tank hold

slide
Hard Yaka

Re: nissan 1991 2.7 auto diesel fuel use

Postby slide » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:53 am

you should see 600km or so per tank. Depends on how you drive it tho...
I get more on open road(manual tho), but less if offroad, towing etc.
Drive it till its empty, fill 'er up full- you'll know for sure how big your tank is. 70l?

Standard these things aren't overblessed for power. Don't expect to keep up with ya mate in his 97 prado, it aint gunna happen...
And yea, its getting old. keep it nailed up hills the temps gunna creep up. Do some searching, but maybe a new radiator, fan hub, thermostat, auto cooler etc may be your solution. If you don't wana back off the throttle to give the thing a chance :lol:

northland_pajero
Hard Yaka

Postby northland_pajero » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:46 am

Unless you know when it was last replaced you may want to check / replace the diesel filter, doing this to my 2.8 non turbo hilux made a difference, its still slow up hills just not as slow.

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:22 am

Don't worry about the temp thing, mine has always gone up heaps up hills, as long as it doesn't boil it's all good.

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:36 am

A TD2.7 is a slow old Clydesdale in the trucking world, it will never be a racehorse and you have to learn how to drive it to get the best out of it.

I rarely get more than 500K out of a tank on the road and about 450 max in town, but I carry a lot of extra weight in mine and it is as aerodynamic as a brick with the lights and roof rack on top.
I think the tank is 70 litres but you can put a bigger one in from a GQ if you want more gas.

Temperature issues are more than likely caused from a blocked radiator or faulty thermostat. I suggest you get the radiator professionally cleaned and the core checked.

Put in an after-market cooler for the auto gear box to help with cooling as it uses the bottom of the radiator for it's cooling.

Do an engine service on a regular basis and change the oil, fuel and air filters too.

Check the gauze filter under the banjo nut on the fuel pump for blockage, search on here for more details.

Consider getting a fuel pump tune-up done.

These are a great wee truck for off roading in, but as has been said, they will struggle on the open road if you are a racer; go and get a car for that.
Ok people, move along. Nothing to see here. Thank you, move along.
Ph 0212078472

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:38 am

DEATH_INC wrote:Don't worry about the temp thing, mine has always gone up heaps up hills, as long as it doesn't boil it's all good.

Only had that happen once and it scared the shit out of me. Towed the caravan through the Pig Route last Labour weekend, temp gauge stayed where it should but the pyro gauge was very high, that was a concern.
Ph 0212078472

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:47 am

i used to travel to and from milford sound all the time, great mountainous road with heaps of steep hills.

on the way there between lumsdun and te anau i could get 750k out of the tank, untill there was the tiniest bit of headwind, then i reackon it dropped to about 400 lol,

on the milford road it wasnt too bad, 120k stretch of road i could do easily on less than 1/8 of a tank, depends how many tourists there were to pass. :twisted:

mine has allways gotten hot going up hills, but ive never boiled it, just dont try go up the hill with ya foot flat, its much better going up a hill at 30, and being able to drive the rest than trying to go 50, getting to the top and having to wait for 10mins for it to cool down.

once you do a bit of work to the engine they go well though, like an intercooler, tuned pump, more boost etc, but then the fuel milage goes down quite a bit.

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:56 am

Dirtydog wrote:once you do a bit of work to the engine they go well though, like an intercooler, tuned pump, more boost etc, but then the fuel milage goes down quite a bit.

Sure does, I can vouch for that, with her opened up and 17PSI pouring down her neck, I recon I can see the needle dropping. :lol: But then, I can race boy racers; well for the first 20M 8) Loves the black smoke; thats excess power being released 8)
Ph 0212078472

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:11 am

Dirtydog wrote:once you do a bit of work to the engine they go well though, like an intercooler, tuned pump, more boost etc, but then the fuel milage goes down quite a bit.

Mine does over 160kph (was clocked at 180 by a mate once before the lights were put on the roof), can do the brenderwyn hills in 5th gear (fairly big hill if ya don't know it) and will go from here to Taupo racetrack and back (roughly 520k's) towing 2 roadbikes on a trailer and all the associated crap on board on a tank of fuel. With enough left to get to work and back for a day or 2 (only about 3-4k to work) You just gotta do the right things. That's cruising at between 100 and 120 most of the time too. Though if ya drive like a dick you can suck 3/4 of a tank going to Kerikeri (265k's) :lol:

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:07 am

lol that is very true, i usually sit at about 95, yet to have the fuel etc turned up, putting intercooler on still, and egt guage.

i got mine going 180, that was downhill though :lol:

The Stranger
Bush Crasher

Postby The Stranger » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:09 pm

There are a lot of things you can do to these things to extract better performance and economy. I'd start with the basics (filters and cut the aircon belt off for a start) and work your way up (egr removal and clean out inlet manifold) none of that stuff really costs.
Intercooler and water injection help fuel milage a lot. On a trip it hits 5th and stays there. There is a big improvement around town also though.

slide
Hard Yaka

Postby slide » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:32 pm

The Stranger wrote:cut the aircon belt off for a start

Sorry, but that won't gain you anything...
Would take more engine power away by driving with the lights on, than what you'd gain by not spinning an inactive belt...

The Stranger
Bush Crasher

Postby The Stranger » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:34 pm

slide wrote:
The Stranger wrote:cut the aircon belt off for a start

Sorry, but that won't gain you anything...
Would take more engine power away by driving with the lights on, than what you'd gain by not spinning an inactive belt...

So you have tried it then?

Worked for me - and yes the AC clutch was wroking just fine. Worked so well I biffed the AC compressor, radiator etc.

According to Wikipedia a fan belt is about 95% efficient. Not sure if that is only when load is applied, but I would assume that many of the factors (friction and tension for example) contributing to the loss are present if load is there or not.

philip121
Hard Yaka

Postby philip121 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:06 pm

thanks for the replys i like driveing this 2.7 i have that butten on Hold all the time is that ok to do ...

hamboy
Hard Yaka

Postby hamboy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:37 pm

Its ok to use on hold, it just disables the kick-down and changes gears at lower revs. Try opening up the intake and exhaust, makes them breath easier. I have a pod filter and three inch intake, and a 2.5 inch exhaust among other things, goes good and still gets 450ks to a tank

slide
Hard Yaka

Postby slide » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:32 pm

The Stranger wrote:So you have tried it then?

According to Wikipedia a fan belt is about 95% efficient. Not sure if that is only when load is applied, but I would assume that many of the factors (friction and tension for example) contributing to the loss are present if load is there or not.

Yea, have tried. ( had no belt when got car, put one on to try get a/c to work, but had no gas :( )
Couldn't notice any power difference. Theres so many other factors that have such a bigger difference tho, that it IMO, could never be noticed (eg temp of day, amount of fuel in tank, tyre pressures all have greater effect)

philip121 wrote:thanks for the replys i like driveing this 2.7 i have that butten on Hold all the time is that ok to do ...

Using hold will use more fuel, and give far less power. It won't select 1st gear (will takeoff in 2nd instead). Ok to use it, but its really for when you manually move auto stick to select gears yourself. Best to keep it in normal mode if not used to doing this..

Return to “Nissan”