Steering problems on Safari

Moderator: Mark

PAWARENGA100
Stropper

Steering problems on Safari

Postby PAWARENGA100 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:28 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum - looked for a while but never posted.

I have a Safari GQ and am having problems with the steering and thought I'd ask you guys what you think might be up.

The steering was making knocking noises when turning corners - thought it was steering box but have replaced that and still making noise. Have replaced the ball joints and that hasn't helped either. Replaced some of the bushes with new ones but haven't touched the trailing arms. Could that be the problem?

Steering wheel is now shaking at 80kms and noise still there.

Wheels have been balanced so that's not to blame.

Currently running on Goodyear Wranglers 33s.

Otherwise I'll just stick to changing wiper blades at home in Papakura :D

Cheers.

andy3542
Hard Yaka

Re: Steering problems on Safari

Postby andy3542 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:32 pm

hey mate

welcome to the forum.

have you checked your wheel bearings? i had a shake in the steering at about 80km/hr and found that the r/h outside bearing was stuffed.

cheers
andrew
Offroad Addiction TV

https://www.facebook.com/OffroadAddictionLtd/

taz01
Tazzles

Postby taz01 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:32 pm

as steering balance done try panhard rod bushes first..........then id be looking at kingpins
WARNING:
Insanity has replaced reason in the modification of this vehicle

you can follow me, but its gunna hurt

Mud Hog
Hard Yaka

Postby Mud Hog » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:49 pm

If king ping bearings it will feel very dodgy on cornering they are movement in the tyre laterally, wheel bearings movement in tyre horizontaly. Another one I have had knocking is the coupling before the steering box. But as taz said try panhard bushes first.
GU patrol 35s ect.
Money and time pit Suzuki Build.

PAWARENGA100
Stropper

Postby PAWARENGA100 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:25 pm

thanks guys for the help, Ive changed the bushes on the panrod just over a year ago with nylothane ;replaced the relay rod with a aftermarket one,changed coils with ones from a LWB . theres no play in the wheels sideways or up and down so mite have to look at bearings next . bugger mite have to park her up and drive the shopping cart a suzuki :evil:

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:38 pm

One of My mates mates had a shaking problem in his safari....we did panhard bushes and balance etc, but it turned out to be the kingpin bearings...

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:14 pm

PAWARENGA100 wrote:thanks guys for the help, Ive changed the bushes on the panrod just over a year ago with nylothane ;replaced the relay rod with a aftermarket one,changed coils with ones from a LWB . theres no play in the wheels sideways or up and down so mite have to look at bearings next . bugger mite have to park her up and drive the shopping cart a suzuki :evil:

A lot can happen in 12 months so maybe check those panhard bushes again, especially as nolathane can wear out quickly if you are getting shakes in the steering.

crazyclark31
Hard Yaka

Postby crazyclark31 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:30 am

I"had front panhard bushes only last 6mth(nolathane ones). put in rubber ones and so far have lasted couple years.
The king pins have a shim between the ball and the kingpin. Normally taking one out will work.
Have fixed a few trucks that when you grab the wheel it didn't move but still had shakes. take one or two shims out and it goes away.

Also it could be your body mounts. These trucks are bad for wearing them out esp the front ones. Mine clunked like yours. Ended up putting think rubber washers in the bodymounts and it went away.

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:36 pm

crazyclark31 wrote:
Also it could be your body mounts. These trucks are bad for wearing them out esp the front ones. Mine clunked like yours. Ended up putting think rubber washers in the bodymounts and it went away.

x2
Had the same on the old shorty. Did all bushings etc, and was bodymounts in the end.

PAWARENGA100
Stropper

Postby PAWARENGA100 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:21 pm

fixed it .Had too many heines when putting panrod back on and had large washer on backwards :lol: better stick too wiperblades I think, surely nothing can go wrong :oops:

Return to “Nissan”