TD27 Bigger Turbo?

Moderator: Mark

BogBoy
Hard Yaka

TD27 Bigger Turbo?

Postby BogBoy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:06 pm

Hey all looking around for a bigger bolt on turbo for my ol' D21.

I will be putting a water to air inter-cooler off my old legacy on it soon and also making a new larger pipe off the back of the turbo.

Any ideas on turbo option? Or just increase boost on my stock unit?

ArvinSlayer
Hard Yaka

Re: TD27 Bigger Turbo?

Postby ArvinSlayer » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:59 pm

Yay finally someone asked the question i have been longing to ask.

Thus far what i have scrapped in the dark art of turbo selection, the variable vane turbos off the 3L patrol seem to do a good job, and i think, i think along those lines, could probably get away using the IHI turbos off the 3.1 isuzu diesels. Having said that, if you know off the blacksmokeracing team, they did pack a fat holset to it. I wonder if the selection factor maybe what is the most effective turbine sizing that can b easily spun by the four cylinder exhaust output.

One thing i have heard floating around the forum is that the TD27t could handle up to 30 pounds of boost, i have never tested it out for myself, but seems legit, as from the blacksmokeracing blog, they blew the headgasket at 38pounds.

As for the lil turbo strapped to the td27t, i think it maybe go up to 20psi with the wastegate blocked off, but i reckon that will blow the turbo after some use, from what i gather the bigger u go the higher i can boost it.

Having said that, there are quite a number of turbo choices, and i guess for our case we be looking at ones that will fit the manifold flange.

I wonder is the stock turbo off the rb25 any bigger then the turbo that comes off the td27t as them are pretty cheap if they are, and from what i checked, the flanges bolt up.

There will b some hard turbo nuts who will have the answers, i will be following this closely as i too want to slap a bigger turbo on the td.

On a lighter note, how much horses can you legitimately pull from the td27t, stock? Will stronger bearings enable to pull more horsepower?

Peace

Arvin the local noob

tweake
Hard Yaka

Postby tweake » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:40 pm

its not just about slapping a big turbo on.

intercooling is a big thing and certainly in the right direction there.
start with winding up stock turbo and increasing the fuel. watch the EGT's !

for better turbo's you can either find a turbo of a stock diesel thats about the same power as you think you will make.
no point selecting 3 litre patrol variable as its to big unless your going to put out 130kw. better with a smaller turbo off a 2.5 or even 2 litre diesel.
avoid crap turbo's like 3.1 isuzu.
petrol turbo's the rough rule of thumb is get one off a petrol motor half the size of your diesel. something off a 1300cc turbo petrol engine would be ok.
even then you can tweak it to suit the diesels for max power.

variable turbo's are difficult because you need to make a control system for it.

wax
Hard Yaka

Postby wax » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:51 pm

Bugger I am putting one of a 4 litre diesel on my truck

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:07 pm

You also have to remember that the turbo charger from a RB25 for example is designed to spool up higher in the rev range due to propeller and impeller design, when bolted to a diesel will give you are rather large low down flat spot on a similar capacity oil burner.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

crazyclark31
Hard Yaka

Postby crazyclark31 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:09 pm

this has just recently been covered. basically you want to be looking for a tdo4l-13t.

slide
Hard Yaka

Postby slide » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:04 pm

basically you want to be looking for a tdo4l-13t.
Whats one of them when its at home??

The rb25det turbo won't bolt on, it has a T3 style flange, stock td27t has T2 style flange. Would be much to large for daily driving too. I had a t28 on rd28 and it was much too large (albeit it was the largest t28 you can get. replaced with a t25g and it drives real good. no low down power tho, so not ideal for 4x4 application- fuel pump mods would help heaps tho)

You could look into mistral td27t, I believe their garret turbo is slightly larger than the hitachi from terrano. Or look into td27eti/ qd32eti turbo?

Remember boost is only the ability of the turbo to flow more air than the engine can consume. If you can make more power using less boost you're onto a winner. (think flow rates).

Getting the fuel in is what gives you the power tho, run as much boost as you like, but without any extra fuel power gains will be minimal..

My mate just in process of fitting up a custom spec turbo to his d21, 'bolt on', but still needs cutom fab to fit, ie dump pipe, oil line, air plumbing.
Will be interesting to see how it goes when done.

ArvinSlayer
Hard Yaka

Postby ArvinSlayer » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:26 pm

oh true it wont bolt on?? lol tht saved me some money there, i was bidding on tht RB turbo churrrrr lol!!! so, what i am gathering from here is that the turbo has to spool right in the low revs, so means i am looking at small engine turbo or diesel turbos? would a smaller turbine and a larger compressor be the way to go? or both smaller turbine and smaller compressor? turbos are all new stuff to me, please correct me as i blurt shit out lol!

Peace

Arvin the local noob

wax
Hard Yaka

Postby wax » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:48 pm

This is why vnt turbos are all the rage now on diesel engines now

crazyclark31
Hard Yaka

Postby crazyclark31 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:23 pm

acorrding to the aussie forums it belongs to the wrx's from 2002-2007.
Reckon it would spool up real nice in a td27. Would need an adaptor made for the manifold

BogBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby BogBoy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:45 pm

crazyclark31 wrote:this has just recently been covered. basically you want to be looking for a tdo4l-13t.

But they have a 3 bolt flange..... :?

keepwalkn
Driver/Navigator

Postby keepwalkn » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:58 pm

MHI TD04L-13T (T25 4 bolt flange) they use these on the 2.8l Iveco 4cyl TD engine.
My TD04L-13T arrived today. I also have a 15T compressor housing and cover that I will be testing out.
13T compressor is 53 trim and the 15T is a 56 trim.
When I make my hybrid TD04L-15T it will be the same specification as a Garrett GT2056.
The turbine housing is a 6cm2 - T25 A/R equivalanet .41 - Slightly smaller than the GT2056 (.46 A/R) - earlier spool ;)

If any one wants one:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kinugawa-Tur ... c48&_uhb=1
Plus the 15T wheel
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Turbo-Compre ... 29f&_uhb=1

These use genuine MHI cores and wheels.

BogBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby BogBoy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:42 pm

Would I be better just to wind up the boost on my factory unit for now?

crazyclark31
Hard Yaka

Postby crazyclark31 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:03 pm

yep

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:04 pm

and fuel.

try fuel before adding more boost, youd be suprised.

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:01 am

Crash bandicoot wrote:You also have to remember that the turbo charger from a RB25 for example is designed to spool up higher in the rev range due to propeller and impeller design, when bolted to a diesel will give you are rather large low down flat spot on a similar capacity oil burner.

Don't bother with RB turbos, they run a ceramic exhaust wheel that self destructs at anywhere near 15psi.

Stock hitachis don't run for long at full boost, mine shed all the vanes off the exhaust impeller after about a month...

wax
Hard Yaka

Postby wax » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:28 am

As a matter of fact no turbo is designed to spool higher in the rpm range. They are sized and maybe be bigger but they don't purposely set them to come on later millions of dollars are spent getting rid of lag not inducing it

BogBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby BogBoy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:16 pm

Dirtydog wrote:and fuel.

Care to tell me how to do it and what I need to buy

crazyclark31
Hard Yaka

Postby crazyclark31 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:08 pm

Dirtydog wrote:and fuel.

wouldn't be doing that unless have an egt gauge . Its a good way to push those egts up into the melt piston temps.
If your uping the boost then a cooler will go a long way to increasing the performance . Wouldn't be pushing it to high tho. Maybe the 12psi mark.Not really sure what they run standard.
Once the boost level is sorted then you can wind the fuel up. There is a screw on the pump that you just wind out to increase the fuel delivery. some one on here will have a pic on were it is. Sibanmud(?) has a fair bit of knowledge when comes to modding these trucks.

BogBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby BogBoy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:13 pm

I have a water to air intercooler off my subaru legacy to put on and I take it I will need a boost T?

slide
Hard Yaka

Postby slide » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:04 pm

Plenty of different ways to increase boost, just get a gauge so you know what's happening (and a EGT gauge, prob more important than boost gauge).
Mine ran 10psi standard, I upped to 15. Egts lower as a result. Yet to tweak fuel, keep having to fix other minor probs first (eg alternator bearings next on list). Got a bit more power from boost up, but more its made it nicer to drive, holds higher rpm easier now (rev freely to 3500 instead of wanting 3000rpm changes)

Trench_rat
Hard Yaka

Postby Trench_rat » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:54 pm

tdo4l-13t also came on mitsi cm5a gsr and has 4 bolt flange instead of 3 bolt like wrx. I have just fitted a turbo to my navara and i used a t25 from a sr20det with an air research compressor housing , bolts directly to the manifold just needed to fab a dump pipe

Return to “Nissan”