Show us some terrenos that have lift kits

Moderator: Mark

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Re: Show us some terrenos that have lift kits

Postby Dirtydog » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:58 pm

or just chuck in a solid axle and run 5 inch lift, with 35's and not worry about breaking anything at all, but be lighter and more stable than a safari.....

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:07 pm

poss682 wrote:this is my baby 3 inch calmini lift kit (there is one on trade me for $2000 )and two inch body lift with 32.5x11.5x15 kl71's =P

Shauns old truck... best terrano lift i have seen and the only terrano that i know of that hasnt hadto many front end issues

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:45 pm

KIWI_TERRANO wrote:
poss682 wrote:this is my baby 3 inch calmini lift kit (there is one on trade me for $2000 )and two inch body lift with 32.5x11.5x15 kl71's =P

Shauns old truck... best terrano lift i have seen and the only terrano that i know of that hasnt hadto many front end issues

Yep the control arms eliminate most potential problems. Bloody expensive the Calmini kit though
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

nismo26
Hard Yaka

Postby nismo26 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:54 pm

Dirtydog wrote:or just chuck in a solid axle and run 5 inch lift, with 35's and not worry about breaking anything at all, but be lighter and more stable than a safari.....

You make it sound like a 5min job.

What about the weak gearboxs and then you end up running two different offsets wheels.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:19 pm

Its not that their weak, they fail because people put not enough of the wrong type of oil in them.

A lot of 240SX owners have the FS5W71C mated to SR20DETs and KA24DETs running 400+ hp with no problems.

There are Z32s running the FS5R30A transmission with well over 600 horsepower and not blowing up
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

klompy
Hard Yaka

Postby klompy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:28 pm

Would it be easier to put the Terrano motor and gearbox into a Safari chassis and then top it of with the Terrano body.May have to shorten the chassis to suit Terrano wheel arches but probably less engineering than axle swaps and the steering and suspension remain factory.Will need a cert but that will be no problem and you will need a cert for an axle swap any way.Just a thought.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:21 pm

klompy wrote:Would it be easier to put the Terrano motor and gearbox into a Safari chassis and then top it of with the Terrano body.May have to shorten the chassis to suit Terrano wheel arches but probably less engineering than axle swaps and the steering and suspension remain factory.Will need a cert but that will be no problem and you will need a cert for an axle swap any way.Just a thought.

the size of the chassis is way different, looked into this for my one and definitly would not be the way to go. also classed as scratchbuilt then.

Putting a solid axle really isnt that much work.

half the work is taking all the IFS stuff out.

aslong as you have the safari supension mounts off the other chassis its fine, reason it ltook me so long is i lived up in milford sound (10 days no outside contact, and 4 days off over a weekend) and it was hard to source parts when everything is closed on a weekend.

I was also told a fair bit of info that was wrong, like certain parts just bolting up that didnt. but we found out the hard way through time, and buying other parts.

also offset isnt much of a worry at all, specially if ya get the centers flipped.

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:56 am

I priced up doing the same as mine (without the upper arms) for a customer and it came to around $8000. wheels/tyres/body and suspension lift/shocks etc. Roughly 4" lift. You can run 4" on the Terrano without too many problems.
We've also done a couple of L400's, they are around $5-5500 without a cert, no body lift on those tho.
Not cheap, but if that's what you want...
SAS swap would be similar, as you have the problem of the front drive on the box being on the wrong side. So unless you can get a jeep dana 44, you have to swap or dick around with the box or flip diff housings to make it work...

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:28 am

DEATH_INC wrote:I priced up doing the same as mine (without the upper arms) for a customer and it came to around $8000. wheels/tyres/body and suspension lift/shocks etc. Roughly 4" lift. You can run 4" on the Terrano without too many problems.
We've also done a couple of L400's, they are around $5-5500 without a cert, no body lift on those tho.
Not cheap, but if that's what you want...
SAS swap would be similar, as you have the problem of the front drive on the box being on the wrong side. So unless you can get a jeep dana 44, you have to swap or dick around with the box or flip diff housings to make it work...

You just use a safari transfer case, and make up a spacer between them, or cut the excess shaft from gearbox off. it cost me 6k to get it done, including parts, but i also swaped out the rear terrano springs for the safari springs (fair bit of work). which gives it about 3 inch lift over standard terrano.

but if you use the transfercase, then you can use any safari diff, or a hilux diff, prado diff. better yet, if anything happens to front diff, you dont have to get it all customised again to fit, you just buy another diff and put it in.

you dont have to worry about modifiying driveshafts if you manage to get a rear safari diffhead either, because you can use the safari diff flange, and the front is close to factory distance using same flanges.

all that really needs to be modified is the sump and the transfercase crossmember.

BlakeJ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeJ » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:03 pm

you make that sound pretty easy when really its a shit load of work. by the time you have done that, and payed for all that, would you not be better to buy this-
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... 284570.htm
or this - http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... 888990.htm
or this - http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... 327088.htm

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:39 pm

BlakeJ wrote:you make that sound pretty easy when really its a shit load of work. by the time you have done that, and payed for all that, would you not be better to buy this-
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... 284570.htm
or this - http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... 888990.htm
or this - http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... 327088.htm

That comes down to personal preferance.

i dont like how bulky the safaris are, and i like the terrano shape, also, i dont feel so crampt in a terrano. I like that the terrano is also a mid wheelbase vehicle, measuring at 104 inches. pretty close to the ideal wheelbase length

I also dont like how heavy the safaris feel to drive.

It really depends on how you look at it.

A terrano with safari front axle is basiclly a safari spirit, but minus a fair bit of weight. the engines are easy to get power out of, not to mention when looked after are quite reliable.

it all comes down to what you want

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:47 pm

you sure like to repeat your self and go on about your terrano.

we get it move on people can do there own thing, some people dont want to spend4-6k on a 3-5k truck

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:34 pm

im just replying to what he was asking?

all in all, everyone does things to there trucks for their own reason.

I would have done the same thing if i owned a surf.

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:44 pm

Dirtydog wrote:I would have done the same thing if i owned a surf.

Except you would then have a rig that could be sold (because people wouldn't pass it off as a bad joke), it would have cost a shit load less to do the mods, you could keep modding it because there are an enormous amount of aftermarket bits available, and it would work (which looking at your pics that you posted climbing some scrap steel, your Terrano had more flex with the IFS :roll: )

But each to their own eh? :wink:
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:20 pm

so what if it has less flex than standard?

its basicly a stock vehicle, some better shocks and springs, and i should be sorted.

i wanted to build a vehicle that i wouldnt break, im going to have a hard time breaking safari gear, so, i think i have acheived that.

and if it really is just a bad joke, why have so many other people done the same thing?

and who said i wanted to sell it? i want a truck that will last.

hosehustler
Hard Yaka

Postby hosehustler » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:35 pm

Do you have some wicked action shots or vids of the Dirtydog in action after SAS you could share, would be neat to see :mrgreen:
I hate signatures

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:48 pm

havnt had a chance to take it out yet, missed out on the last two rallies.

i need some better tyres first, no point going anywhere with road tyres.

ive already said several times, its basicly a stock vehicle, of coarse mines going to be shit compared to other vehicles that have had the time and effort spent on them.

and i havnt exactly had much 4x4ing experience, havnt known the right people, and havnt had the time to go to events.

Its only now ive got all the time in the world, but bugger all funds that i can do something. but im focusing on getting it on the road first, trying to do what i want to it before i get cert to save a bit of money and time later.

hosehustler
Hard Yaka

Postby hosehustler » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:53 pm

All sounds fair enough Dirtydog, but dude you're dishing out plenty of serious modification info which may cause some folk to spend some fukn huge coin on their vehicle, lots of people who read stuff on ORE may expect it to be true, tried and tested and take your word as gospel, be careful about how you give advice.....that's my advice :P
Last edited by hosehustler on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hate signatures

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:54 pm

Popcorn time... Om nom nom

Good on ya DD, getting in amongst it and passionately lovin what you're doin.

Now..... Where was I.....

Ah yes..... Butter or caramel.........????
/| , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-

()_) ()_)-----)_)
KEEP'N JEEP'N!

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:29 pm

hosehustler wrote:All sounds fair enough Dirtydog, but dude you're dishing out plenty of serious modification info which may cause some folk to spend some fukn huge coin on their vehicle, lots of people who read stuff on ORE may expect it to be true, tried and tested and take your word as gospel, be careful about how you give advice.....that's my advice :P

this

CLUMZ1
Hard Yaka

Postby CLUMZ1 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:39 pm

Show us some terrenos that have lift kits

philip121 wrote:what would these kits cost

back on topic kids... the topic is about terreno, not fekkin' Terranos. :roll:

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:27 pm

Dirtydog wrote:You just use a safari transfer case, and make up a spacer between them, or cut the excess shaft from gearbox off.

Sorry for taking this a bit off topic...but is this really all that's required? It bolts straight up to the bolt pattern on the rear of the box?

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:33 pm

DEATH_INC wrote:
Dirtydog wrote:You just use a safari transfer case, and make up a spacer between them, or cut the excess shaft from gearbox off.

Sorry for taking this a bit off topic...but is this really all that's required? It bolts straight up to the bolt pattern on the rear of the box?

on the autos, dont know about the manuals.

there is a bellhousing type piece that unbolts off the back of the safari auto, that the transfer case bolts onto that you have to use.

I got a stuffed safari auto for about 200 bucks, for the transfercase and it works fine.

the only thing that needs modification is the output shaft, it is 40mm longer on the Terrano auto, than the safari auto, i was told you can cut the 40mm off, but i went for 20mm off the shaft, and a 20mm spacer. still plenty of shaft left.

I cut the spacer out myself, cost about 250 for the 20mm thick aluminium, but you could stack 2 pieces of 10mm or whatever suits.

And of course 20mm longer bolts..

back on topic kids... the topic is about terreno, not fekkin' Terranos.

:lol: :lol:

Did anyone else read this in mrs browns accent??

poss682
Hard Yaka

Postby poss682 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:30 pm

KIWI_TERRANO wrote:

yea its really nice well set up truck, i replaced front diff when i brought it had 4 teeth broken off the crown wheel from some rough guy and this week end ripped an inner c.v boot that's it and it had 3 inches of sus lift, I absloutly love this truck

Return to “Nissan”