mistrals...

Moderator: Mark

lurcher
Driver/Navigator

mistrals...

Postby lurcher » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:45 pm

Currently driving an old Daihatsu rugger, still going strong but parts are starting to be an issue. I would like a 2.7 manual R50 terrano, or even a QD32 auto but they are scarce and probably a bit out of my price range. I see a few mistrals floating around that have under 200K and are affordable. Truck will be used for light 4wd duties (mostly farm tracks and greasy paddocks nothing approaching hardcore). I will also be using it for towing a 4M alloy pontoon boat. How do these compare the the D21/R50? Do they have the efi fuel pump or mechanical injection like a d21? Similar grunt to a 2.7 R50 auto? I heard the electric window mechanisms shag out on them. Are their other issues to beware of? How do they ride compared to a terrano they look taller and narrower, yet I thought they shared most mechanicals? Do they have same rear Diff and IFS as terranos?

I quite like small trucks and like the look of the SWB versions, how do they ride? I had a ride in an early daihatsu mu and was surprised that it felt like more of a rickshaw than my old rugger. Maybe it had issues but the fore-aft pitching was chronic I thought.

CLUMZ1
Hard Yaka

Re: mistrals...

Postby CLUMZ1 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:46 am

I know of a rugger for sale, custom barwork, manual diesel, in fantastic condition, however current owner let reg lapse. so sold de-reg.

its being driven daily at the moment with no issues that I'm aware of - worth asking owner for any probs tho

$2,500 if your interested flick me a PM and I can put you in touch.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:17 pm

R50 is a monocoque design comes with either a 2.7 ETI or qd32 ETI. good motors but pay special attention to the injector pumps. these can be converted back to manual injector pumps.

R20 Mistral try and get a facelift 97 onwards with top mount intercooler they only come with the 2.7 ETI but have a bucket load more power then the earlier 2.7TD. they also still have a ladder chassi so are good for the SAS conversion.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

lurcher
Driver/Navigator

Postby lurcher » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:35 pm

How do the mistrals handle on the road compared to the D21 and R50 terranos are they more wallowy through the bends? they look a bit taller.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:14 pm

lurcher wrote:How do the mistrals handle on the road compared to the D21 and R50 terranos are they more wallowy through the bends? they look a bit taller.

I have driven the R50 it's more of a sponge to drive compared to my R20 as the 50 is heavier, although the R20 is higher (due to the ladder chassi) and narrower it is more nimble and has better suspension articulation then the r50. It also has alot more ground clearance then the terrano.

lurcher
Driver/Navigator

Postby lurcher » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:28 pm

Do the short wheel base mistrals ride OK compared to the long? Starting to think a short wheel base 97 onwards mistral might be worth serious consideration

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:54 am

lurcher wrote:Do the short wheel base mistrals ride OK compared to the long? Starting to think a short wheel base 97 onwards mistral might be worth serious consideration

yeah, just check that there no rust under the rear seat as they are double skinned.

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:27 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:
lurcher wrote:Do the short wheel base mistrals ride OK compared to the long? Starting to think a short wheel base 97 onwards mistral might be worth serious consideration

yeah, just check that there no rust under the rear seat as they are double skinned.

Big issue with these as there is a body X member below the rear seat, seat belt mounts that rusts out due to no drain holes and it holding water If there is rust here the rear seats have to be removed and it changed to a 2 seater, or there is a special cert system just for these think its a kit aproved by LVVTA with a replacement X member cost including parts labour and cert is sposed to be around the 2g mark

Found my one was very good onroad took a bit of getting used to the high seating position, and on half warn muds it surprised a few of us where it got offroad, rear bumper overhang is a big issue and so is the low center, the fact they are so common onroad (lots of replacement body parts and hopefully cheap) always made me look at mine with an eye as to what could I do to it

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:51 pm

the seat belt anchorages don't bolt to a cross member they bolt to the body. the LVVTA solved this issue with the NZTA by introducing a bolt in support for the seat mounts and seatbelt anchor points under the body with out going the whole hog...

In Comparison the Whole Hog in this case is lifting the body of the chassi, cutting away the steel laterally from the front edge of the rear seat to the rise in the floor pan at the rear of the seat, and longitudinally from the inner rear wheel arch near the door following it around to the same location as the two lateral cuts. replacing this double layer of steel with a single 2mm sheet with no over lays with the exception of the structural areas of the cabin around the arches.

you can read it here....http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_02-2005_Nissan_Mistrals-Jan_2005.pdf

also the 03-05 terrano has also suffered this issue.

philip121
Hard Yaka

Postby philip121 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:23 pm

you say the terreno from 03 to 05 suffered this under rear seat hassel
what about the 91 or other years or is it just years as you state

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:34 am

philip121 wrote:you say the terreno from 03 to 05 suffered this under rear seat hassel
what about the 91 or other years or is it just years as you state

the earlier terranos were ladder chassi and different body completely.

slide
Hard Yaka

Postby slide » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:43 am

Floorpan brace is by no means a bolt in affair. It does however, mean the entire rear floorpan does not need to be replaced. But its still the ~$2000 repair mentioned earlier.
All terrano and mistrals are affected (nothing to do with monocoque construction)
Although I am yet to see a mistral with seatbelt rust, I have seen (and been involved with repair/reclassification of) quite a few d21 (1988on) terranos.

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/v ... assemblies has info on the inspection procedure

Hope this helps clear up some confusion

phaedrus
Driver/Navigator

Postby phaedrus » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:24 pm

I have seen a Mistral with the rust problem, so it's worth checking, although I think it's a rarer issue than with the Terrano. Fortunately in this case I was looking at the vehicle for a friend and we passed that one by.

He did however purchase another Mistral and is very happy with it. I've got one too and IMO they represent very good value for money. Similar seating and refinements as the Prado at 1/2 to 1/3 of the cost. European design is quite detailed in many little things which makes them nice to use with a good seating position and the trusty Terrano mechanicals mean you can be reasonably sure of that side of things too.

Cheers, P.

philip121
Hard Yaka

Postby philip121 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:13 pm

i am interested in these i like the look of the mistrals
what years are the best and what years are the non rusty ones
lifted the back seat on my terreno lifted the carpet
looked clean even alone the seam
i fish oiled every where
i did the chassis and under floor
well people restore old cars dont they

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:57 am

philip121 wrote:i am interested in these i like the look of the mistrals
what years are the best and what years are the non rusty ones
lifted the back seat on my terreno lifted the carpet
looked clean even alone the seam
i fish oiled every where
i did the chassis and under floor
well people restore old cars dont they

its not really about the year but the newer the better, what makes the difference is the engine and in this case the 2.7ETI from 97 onwards is the one you want to aim for.

Mistralmadness
Winch master

Postby Mistralmadness » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:25 am

I can honestly say after owning a gq swb safari and a 91 surf, that this is a great truck. I have a 95` r20 ans they come out factory with lsd rear diff, electric sunroof (great for those weekend hunting trips on private property going for bunnys and possums or taking the family camping. we paid about $4500 for our 95` with 146,000kms and no rust and very tidy. i looked at surf, terranos, vitara's, and for the money the r20 was the best choice for us. (me and my partner with our 5 month old daughter. my partner had to be able to drive it too and she loves it. it dose look nice in black with the tints too. 8) 8) 8). certainly not a mud plugger, rock crawler or hardcore off-roader, but all the same, Its very comfortable, reliable, and capable of mild to medium off-roading.

steve... :D :D
Attachments
picture-8282.jpg
Our 95` mistral R20
picture-8282.jpg (3.73 KiB) Viewed 2568 times

philip121
Hard Yaka

Postby philip121 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:38 pm

looks newish does it drink diesel or sip it
do you know how many liters it used to do 100km
is it manual or outo

Mistralmadness
Winch master

Postby Mistralmadness » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:52 pm

it doesn't cost us more than our 97 auto nissan sunny to run. we live out at leeston and drive into town several times per week. we would use about an 8th of a tank to go from leeston, driving it around town then back out to leeston.
It as a nice interior and exterior with lots of nice features. it is an auto. we love it :D for doing what we do with it etc. round town, open road, and camping. they are a factory 7 seater as well.

Steve...

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:37 pm

philip121 wrote:looks newish does it drink diesel or sip it
do you know how many liters it used to do 100km
is it manual or outo

it sniffs the fumes the best I have managed to get from my auto 98 is 854 kms from 55 litres, not thrashing it just cruising on road 100 kph etc. with camping/holiday gear onboard, roof racks, winch etc.

philip121
Hard Yaka

Postby philip121 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:54 pm

well thats 43 mpg and to travel 100kms 60 miles that is 6.440 liters
if thats correct make sure you put it in a garage every night to keep it happy

philip121
Hard Yaka

Postby philip121 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:54 pm

are all these mistral models prone to rear seat rust or are there later years that dont get this :mrgreen:

Return to “Nissan”