Nissan Terrano starter issue

Moderator: Mark

aero170
Winch master

Nissan Terrano starter issue

Postby aero170 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:09 pm

Hi I have an old terrano and I have a problem starting the car.
I turn the key and half the time I get a click but no starter motor turning, I flick key off and on and eventually it turns and the engine fires.
I suspected the starter motor and replaced it with another and the issue is still there .....battery seems to be in good condition have had it happen when jumping it off another car. Is there another solenoid somewhere that could be causing the problem>?
If so where is it..
Thanks for any advice

slide
Hard Yaka

Re: Nissan Terrano starter issue

Postby slide » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:10 pm

Sounds like the second starter you got is no better than your first. From your description it sounds like starter solenoid faulty.

phaedrus
Driver/Navigator

Postby phaedrus » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:43 pm

It's probably worth also checking your battery connections and leads - they may look ok but can sometimes have a high resistance that will cause just the problem you describe - and jumper leads can also be problematic.

If the click you hear is from the starter area then it's likely to be either the starter motor again as slide has said, or the leads/connections. Alternatively it could be the switch or a relay - in which case the click is likely to come from that area (and which would suggest a high resistance and/or burnt contact).

Incidetaly FWIW I also grease my connections to prevent corrosion etc forming on the terminals.

Cheers, P.

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:52 pm

had a similar issue with partners car few months back. turn out the switch attached to the key barrel had worked its way loose and stopped enough power getting to the starter relay. every position worked properly, even the radio turned off with trying to start like it should. see attached pic. it goes on to the end of the barrel
Attachments
M5050143256OES.JPG
Current 4wd: Surf Kzn185 ssrg factory Intercooled (yet to start build)
Past 4wd: toyota surf ln130, coil sas, 1uz v8 build

aero170
Winch master

Postby aero170 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:57 am

Thanks guys for your ideas I will try them all out and see how I go.
cheers

travis2ninja
Hard Yaka

Postby travis2ninja » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:36 am

I had the same problem on my 92 Terrano. Sometimes lights would come on turn the key, click nothing and other times lights would not come on at all, Problem was the Relay on top of the fuse box.
The one on the right, Try swapping it or replacing it.
Attachments
1-20130409_081804-001.jpg

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:49 pm

jonossiksilvia wrote:had a similar issue with partners car few months back. turn out the switch attached to the key barrel had worked its way loose and stopped enough power getting to the starter relay. every position worked properly, even the radio turned off with trying to start like it should. see attached pic. it goes on to the end of the barrel

This was the issue with mine when i first got it too,

there is a screw on top of the switch to hold it on, sometimes they wiggle out and come loose, can be a pain to get to.

fullthrottle
Shuttle Queen

Postby fullthrottle » Wed May 01, 2013 10:31 am

Is yours an auto?

If so, it could also be the auto shifter electrics. Mine used to do this a number of times and if you push the park release pin down on the shifter, slide the shifter back and forth then try starting.

aero170
Winch master

Postby aero170 » Sun May 19, 2013 2:32 pm

Hi all been awhile since I have had a chance to work on the car damaged my thumb at work and have not been able to do anything much.
Decided to get back into it now the cast is off and its no different other than the starter is now cranking rely slow and the connections on the starter are getting bloody hot bloody fast. As I said earlier this is the second starter motor with similar issues that I have put in so Im thinking the odds of 2 being stuffef wit the same symptoms is pretty remote.
All connections are snug and tight the small plug that sits between the main power connection from the battery to the starter has been pulled out and its now a firm connection. Have been racking my head all morning but am up against it at present.
Thinking about getting a priest in to exorcise it of demons...?
What would cause the starter terminals to get so hot?
Please be kind I am a bit of a novice at electrics not my thing ....can rebuild diesel engines ok but electrics really give me the shits

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sun May 19, 2013 2:37 pm

Depends how long your cranking it over for, if your doing it for a long time, they will get hot.

have you looked at the ignition switch yet? also is there definitly enough juice in the batter to crank it over?

my terrano formed a power leak if thats what youd call it, where it would chew through batteries and the ignition switch seemed to fix that aswell.

Worse case scenario you may need a new starter, not likely but it happens to the best of us.

aero170
Winch master

Postby aero170 » Sun May 19, 2013 2:44 pm

Good point dirty dog I havent checked the ignition switch yet.
Pain in the arse especially with a still dodgy hand.
Is there any way of bypassing the ignition switch to see if it is that, thats causing the problem>?

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sun May 19, 2013 3:04 pm

do you know how to hot wire a car?

if not i dont think there is any way that would be easier as such.

its not hard to get too, just the screws to come out of the steering column covers, and then look behind the ignition unit, there is a 5 or 6 pin plug that plugs into it, which may have come loose, or maybe even dirt contacts (you never know)

good time while your there to pull the white cover off the head light switch and spray some contact cleaner on it to hopefully prolong the life of the switch before ya start getting troubles.

back to the switch, un plug it then plug it back in, jiggle it around and see if that makes a difference.

aero170
Winch master

Postby aero170 » Sun May 19, 2013 3:08 pm

cheers mate

evolution02
Hard Yaka

Postby evolution02 » Sun May 19, 2013 8:50 pm

Only things you need to check are: battery, battery terminals, earth connection on the block, battery connection at the starter then check if you are getting good power to the operating terminal of the starter(from the key)
You say the connection on starter is getting hot and starter is slow? Check the connection is clean and tight. You may have a crook battery or another crook starter. They are very common for getting sluggish and drawing to much current
You wouldn't be first to have fitted a secoundhand starter that is worn out
We get heaps of these at work and 90% of the time they are sluggish and is cheaper to fit a new starter than fix the old one

aero170
Winch master

Postby aero170 » Mon May 20, 2013 2:21 am

cheers mate

nizute
Hard Yaka

Postby nizute » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:35 pm

heya did you get your starter problem fixed?

Return to “Nissan”