Nissan Terrano SAS feedback

Moderator: Mark

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Re: Nissan Terrano SAS feedback

Postby Dirtydog » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:39 am

Ryto folks, sorry for lack of photo's, been busy with the new job havnt had much time in the garage or with 4x4's.

Ive ordered all brake pads all round, and i will be changing fuel/oil filter, new oil, new brake fluid, etc so the ol girl will be getting a birthday, thats been long overdue.

Looking at doing the TC lock up and Auto Select mod so ill post progress on that here once i get all the information.

and at this stage, i only have one gripe with the terrano.

With the 4.11 gears and the 33's, she doesnt like sitting at 100ks, shes too sluggish in overdrive, and over drive off sits at 3k revs. although there is the beloved in between gear (it seems) that would be perfect, which it sits in for about 2-3 seconds (hoping the tc lock up and selct mod help with this)

I will be getting photo's when i replace all the brake pads, since i will be bleeding all the brakes so ill have all the wheels off att he same time.

hamboy
Hard Yaka

Postby hamboy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:17 pm

3k revs is all good, that's where mine sits at 100 in 5th

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:58 pm

whats it like on the fuel? and is it bad running it in overdrive off all the time?

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:05 pm

Technically you could do 4.88s, some of the later WDs had the H233 rear in 4.8. Thats what I am running, thats as low as you can go without going to aftermarket gears. Youd need to find 2x parts trucks, transaxle code HG48. Nismo do 5.13s.

Luckily the auto trans will act as sort of fake crawler gears, you may find the 4.1s to be adequatte.
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:20 pm

It absolutely fine in terms off low box, its just the highway driving that its struggling with.

Ill sit down and have a nut out what the revs will be at what speed, and ill try get it back to around 2.3-2.5k. With 4.6's it was sitting at 2.3 which was good, sat nice at 100 and didnt use much fuel.

Im worried that if i go to 4.88's it will be to low and sit at higher revs, but i will have to see if i end up going to 35's or not for that one.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:40 pm

I wonder if the Safari TX12 transfer had a lower gear reduction ratio than the Terrano TX10s 2.02:1.

That would be another cool benefit.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:17 pm

Im starting to think so, but havnt found out any information, as it seems safaris/patrols are really only in NZ and aus, and its not a talked about subject really, but ill see what i can find.

kbjj
Sausage Shack

Postby kbjj » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:48 pm

Ford Maverick
If you break it... build it stronger.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:47 pm

Even using the maverick title i havnt found any ratios for the transfercase

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:52 pm

Just look at after market low range gear sets, that will tell you standard vs there new stuff.
Like here.
http://www.marks4wd.com/mfk1515-2-86l.html
Though it's an Aussie site so I guess it is re Partrols. But seems every model is 2.02 stock.

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:55 pm

What are you searching for? :mrgreen: From what I can see with a quick google search its the same 2.02:1.
What tyre size do you intend to run?
Didn't barbie drive a jeep??

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:02 pm

I dont know, my computors crap, maybe its got something to do with the fact i run an older google chrome?

33's is the plan, not much point running 35's at this point in time.

Maybe its just because i was driving a bighorn inbetween that it seems like its got more go lol.

Im going to try and sort out the Lock up mod, and see if that helps out at all, do the fuel/boost thing and if its still not any good ill save up for some 4.6 gears.

centralnavara
Driver/Navigator

Postby centralnavara » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:42 pm

Firstly well done on all the work so far. I'm curious as to how its road manners are now with new front end? and how does it feel off road?
I'll be doing mine sometime soon just couple of things left to get in.
I have one of the last of the D21 navaras (94/95)and it runs 4.88 diffs stock

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:44 pm

centralnavara wrote:Firstly well done on all the work so far. I'm curious as to how its road manners are now with new front end? and how does it feel off road?
I'll be doing mine sometime soon just couple of things left to get in.
I have one of the last of the D21 navaras (94/95)and it runs 4.88 diffs stock

What diff is in the back of it? Is it a h233b like a terrano?

centralnavara
Driver/Navigator

Postby centralnavara » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:55 pm

No its the navara style diff i forget its numbers one where diff head is loaded in from the rear. Only navaras ive seen with the terrano diff have been petrols

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:05 pm

Youll have the CA 48 then?

To be honest its not too bad on road at all, drives just like a safari but not as much of a boat.

4wd is fine, not much of a difference than from stock, but i havnt bent anything yet which is new to me.

if you have any questions about it feel free to ask

centralnavara
Driver/Navigator

Postby centralnavara » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:13 pm

All good thanks i'm going to run the Dana 30 with a 3 link set up (hopefully) and its always in the back of your mind I hope this still rides ok or at least beta. It should be much more user friendly on those rocky tracks that try and rattle your teeth out

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:19 pm

I looked at doing a dana 30 aswell, only problem is they wanted 1.5k for the axle and mounts etc so thought bugger that i can get a safari axle.

If yo manage to pick up a rolling chassis, with front and rear axle and driveshafts you will have a very easy time.

Youd be better off with a lighter axle i think aswell, just a shame that nissans didnt come with an 8 inch equivelent front lol

slide
Hard Yaka

Postby slide » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:20 pm

From another thread;
Dirtydog wrote:What shape are the sumps?

Same bolt pattern as td27? or completley different

Maybe a 2wd td27 sump may suit better? Or modify if you're having clearance issues

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:31 pm

Dana 30 = yuck :lol:
Surely youd be converting to a solid axle for better durability and reliability why put jeep parts in there?
If youre really set on using the factory transfercase I think you'd get far more reliability out of a flipped hilux or 60 series diff. Theyre easy to get parts for in Nz an there are factory or aftermarket 4.88 gearoptions available to match your rear diff

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:07 pm

Except to get them modified is quite time consuming, and unless your doing them yourself would be expensive.

Of course the easy way around that is by putting a safari transfer case on the rear of the trans ( or any transfer case that can be adapted, safari auto transfercase will fit onto terrano and maybe navara auto's) put the offset to underneath the drive, then you dont have to worry about any major modifying, and replacement diff will fit under there with no issues.

As for the sump thing, theres no clearance issues, but any extra up travel i would be happy with :D

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:24 pm

Can't say Ive done one but, Id rather flip a toy axle than use a POS jeep axle :lol: If I was to sas a terrano Id do what youve done and use the trol transfer case (probably the whole gearbox) and a more readily available/cheaper axle than a dana 30

centralnavara
Driver/Navigator

Postby centralnavara » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:19 pm

Lots of people give the Dana 30 a bad rap but when you put the hard questions on it seems to steam back because such in such said so... so I ask such and such and they said cause there mate bob had troubles turns out bob was running huge tyres and didn't look after it and never had. The Dana 30 can be picked up for around $300 or less and you can buy larger axles for them as this seems to be there fuze point but at the end of the day buying a $100 axle is far cheaper than blowing a gear set. I wanted left side drop for simplicity, less modified parts is beta if your wheeling a long way from home at least I'll be able to buy off the shelf parts to get me home in most cases IF needed.
And to those who haven't done one already I think your opinion doesn't count for squat. Dirtydog has stuck his head out there to show many what can be done and I decided it was time to brake my silence over what hiding in our workshop

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:42 am

Fakey wrote:Can't say Ive done one but, Id rather flip a toy axle than use a POS jeep axle :lol: If I was to sas a terrano Id do what youve done and use the trol transfer case (probably the whole gearbox) and a more readily available/cheaper axle than a dana 30

If i was to do another one i wouldnt go for a hilux axle, theyre overated in my opinion.

I here alot of problems with them in relation to what i wanted to run. but then again if you want to run large tyres (35's and up) i suppose anything short of a bus diff will not do lol

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:26 pm

So where are these promised photos bro?

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:36 pm

Been busy with other stuff, was hoping everything turned up for wednesday but they still havent, theres 3 cars in the way of the garage at the moment, want to wait till i get all the wheels up and up on jack stands before i take any photo's, as then ill be able to get in there properly.

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:32 pm

Dirtydog wrote:
If i was to do another one i wouldnt go for a hilux axle, theyre overated in my opinion.

I here alot of problems with them in relation to what i wanted to run. but then again if you want to run large tyres (35's and up) i suppose anything short of a bus diff will not do lol

Shit I'm pleased you're the expert on this. Guess I should rip my lux front axle out and biff it. Especially as I'm running 40" tyres, duals, dble lockers and inj V8. Did I mention I have never lunched a CV?
A Pootrol axle is not the absolute word in strength. What it is, is a good,solid OME component. I have seen quite a few munted Patrol front ends where so called weaker axles went with no problems. A lesser housing stuffed full of good aftermarket bits will usually be considerably stronger that OME bits that are available. A hilux axle with 30 spline longfields and some other goodies is stronger than any readily available OME set up. The only reason I am even bothering to state this here is in case some one actually reads what you put down and takes it as being fact, when it isn't
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:03 pm

Im not saying that they arnt good diffs, but it wasnt what i wanted, and i didnt want to spend a shit load of money on one.

I wanted a factory set up, where if i wanted replacement parts i could readily find them without having to spend shit loads of money.

Im not saying that i am an expert on them either, but to run hilux axle up front i would have had to find the right ratio, driveshaft flanges would need to be modified, didnt want leaves so would have to fork out more for coils etc.

in the end it came to the fact that a safari axle had everything i wanted, without changing too many things at all.

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:50 pm

centralnavara wrote:Lots of people give the Dana 30 a bad rap but when you put the hard questions on it seems to steam back because such in such said so... so I ask such and such and they said cause there mate bob had troubles turns out bob was running huge tyres and didn't look after it and never had. The Dana 30 can be picked up for around $300 or less and you can buy larger axles for them as this seems to be there fuze point but at the end of the day buying a $100 axle is far cheaper than blowing a gear set. I wanted left side drop for simplicity, less modified parts is beta if your wheeling a long way from home at least I'll be able to buy off the shelf parts to get me home in most cases IF needed.
And to those who haven't done one already I think your opinion doesn't count for squat. Dirtydog has stuck his head out there to show many what can be done and I decided it was time to brake my silence over what hiding in our workshop

..hi ill be bob then...

weak as piss....... :mrgreen:
v8 tj...luvs the gas......

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:36 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: agree rokhound
Also worth considerng is that by glueing Patrol bits in there you have attempted to re-engineer the entire vehicle, which in itself could open an entire new pandoras box of strength/reliability issues. Hopefully the trailer-maker guy that did the work will guarantee it.

But again this is just masturbation without photos

Return to “Nissan”