Nissan Terrano SAS feedback

Moderator: Mark

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Re: Nissan Terrano SAS feedback

Postby Dirtydog » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:24 am

lax2wlg wrote:
But again this is just masturbation without photos

I can agree with that lol, but still waiting on parts, ill ask if i can chuck it over the pit at work on monday.

Id be carefull what you say about people too.
Last edited by Dirtydog on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

juz
Hard Yaka

Postby juz » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:47 pm

Dirtydog wrote:
lax2wlg wrote:
But again this is just masturbation without photos

I can agree with that lol, but still waiting on parts, ill ask if i can chuck it over the pit at work on monday.

Id be carefull what you say about people too, ill just let his couple of hundered trophies speak for his experience.

:lol: and his rubbish ute chops! :lol: :lol:
Softroader VW Amarok nowadays.... :roll:

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:20 pm

If you guys have a problem with the way he does things then talk to him about it, dont go bagging Tony on a puplic forum when you dont know what the situation or criteria are.

Please dont fill this thread with shit like this, its a bad look for those involved.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:44 pm

Relax, its just that this a one off, nout against Tony, since the most vital parts of the vehicle have been modified heavily, there is likely to be teething problems, as is the case w most builds. As you know ifs and sa chassis designs vary significantly..
and what if the xfer decides it needed that 10mm of shaft that was cut, etc

Not personal but that's the reality of hardcore custom fab like this.

Lets not get all post happy till the photos show up though :wink:
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:01 pm

Talking about juz.

And yea, there will be teething issues as with every other mod you do lol.

As for the transfer case, the idea came from Rick, he said we could chop the whole 40mm off and they will still do fine, but we wernt to keen on that idea.
If it doesnt work too well i still have the safari auto that will go in if this box proves to be problematic.

Does anyone know the gear ratios for these boxes? cant find them on google.

GotFlex
Hard Yaka

Postby GotFlex » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:27 pm

You want feedback? To be honest bro you have wasted your $$ big time, you say it doesn't do any better offroad? Well why would you do a sas?
If you wanted the big lifted wank factor you haven't even achieved that,
Sorry to be honest but what did you want all the feed back to be how cool your truck was? Sorry mate you ain't got lockers, bar work decent tyres or squat, only thing of interest was the patrol transfer swap

Ps never hate on lux diffs unless you have run one to state such a comment
SASed Isuzu Mu - hilux diffs, Rears up front, disc brake conversion, ifs hub swap, crossover steering, and legal!!!!

hosehustler
Hard Yaka

Postby hosehustler » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:08 pm

Being positive the SAS on your Terrano has to be a good step, and will be more robust than the IFS terrano in it's STD form. Honest feedback from me would be, it's a good start now it's the same as a standard beam axle hilux :mrgreen:

GotFlex wrote:Ps never hate on lux diffs unless you have run one to state such a comment

exactly as gotflex says.
As Rok stated hilux axles aren't any good in their standard form running big gear and big horsepower....requires the housing to be strengthened, high quality internals in the form of aftermarket strong bits that aren't cheap, you're talking 3-4 grand of good bits (that's no labour bills or fab bills for those that can't glue metal themselves....just parts :o )
However when I SAS'd a surf I used a standard prado axle (which was fine for that application), was a relatively simple process, axle was $600 put a diff locker in, (and 1 in rear rear), lifted it, longer springs, longer shocks, bar work front, sides and rear, winch, and it was true rebirthed club level ability offroad.
I would destroy one of them first trip out in my current setup, the nissan set up isn't a lot different and the result would be the same....it's just more expensive to get the good aftermarket parts for the Nissan axle (that's slowly changing!!)

I do want to finish with a tad of advice, a lot of the ORE readers (not all post) have been around a long time, have years and years of knowledge and experience, they are mostly willing to share that info and advice, but not if they get pissy at attitude, if you tone down some of your "opinions" things will be a bit easier, and we all want to see SAS'd anything.....pics please :mrgreen:
I hate signatures

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:59 pm

Woop Woop! :!:

5 pages of feedback, here's mine! Dude, quit web-wheeling, get off the computer and use it! :wink:
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:43 am

I want to use it just waiting on some parts now, should be here by this weekend.

Couldnt get it over the pit as theres a few trucks in and out this week unfortunatly.

Sorry if i seem to have a bit of attitude, just not a fan of the hilux diffs (they made from toyota and yall know im a nissan fan lol)

After i get these parts im going to get a better welder so that i can make the bar work myself, and then i can start looking at winches, etc etc.

Problem at the moment is i am on minimum wage and all the goodies are too expensive for now.

im going to take back that capability thing though, ive taken it out a couple of times in the mud and still nothing is bent or broken so thats plus one for SAS.

Cheers for all your input Guys, it is helping with motivation beleive it or not

MK1TNA
Hard Yaka

Postby MK1TNA » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:01 am

You started this project off with a cool idea a Terrano with safari gear under it on maybe 35s and we all tuned in imagining the potential beast coming out of the south, but all you have done so far is step 1 of the many required to achieve this.
It doesnt matter what your income is just keep chipping away at it, put the wide rear end in with diff calipers or even cut and weld wheel centres give it a mild lift with correct rate springs for the lighter body and get some tyres and 4.88s adding updates when you actually achieve something with pics THEN wheel it for a few months and come back and tell the world how great doing a sas on a terrano is the greatest thing since sliced bread adding bar work, power etc as time goes on,
All you have done so far is strengthin the front - great but how may sets of standard components could have been bought for that cost and over how long?, added weight? and lost ground clearance under diff.
Any way look forward to it being finished :D

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:34 pm

Yea step one of several, its a project, theyre never really finished lol.

Good news is that i have been offered a full time, 40+ hours a week with weekends off so money wont be too much of an issue anymore (hopefully)

Here is the plan after cert:

4.6 gears
~200 amp welder so i can do the barwork etc myself, which will lead to winch cradle, safari diff under the rear etc.
once i get sick of the td27 im looking at either a vh41, or one of the new turbo diesel v6's (nissan of course)
still undecided about weather i want 33's or 35's.
also possibly looking at manual conversion somewhere down the track.

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:44 pm

GotFlex wrote:You want feedback? To be honest bro you have wasted your $$ big time, you say it doesn't do any better offroad? Well why would you do a sas?
If you wanted the big lifted wank factor you haven't even achieved that,
Sorry to be honest but what did you want all the feed back to be how cool your truck was? Sorry mate you ain't got lockers, bar work decent tyres or squat, only thing of interest was the patrol transfer swap

Ps never hate on lux diffs unless you have run one to state such a comment

Give the guy a break. He now has a stronger front end, so surely that's an achievement? Not everyone have lockers/barwork on their priority list. If he want's to use this as an ongoing project, wouldn't a stronger front end be logical?

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:11 pm

Fixed it.

Dirtydog wrote:Here is the plan after cert:

USE IT!!!
Remember it doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles straight up....

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:23 pm

does have to have recovery points for 4x4ing doesnt it? and good brakes are a start.

does that mean your inviting me on a track? i dont know too many places to go, nor have a buddy to go with (dont want to get stuck by myself in the middle of nowhere with out a winch.)

slide
Hard Yaka

Postby slide » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:22 pm

Dirtydog wrote:does have to have recovery points for 4x4ing doesnt it? and good brakes are a start.

does that mean your inviting me on a track? i dont know too many places to go, nor have a buddy to go with (dont want to get stuck by myself in the middle of nowhere with out a winch.)

Yes, best to have 'rated' recovery points. Would suck to be stuck, and be refused a tow out due to potential danger of snapped hooks etc.

Be careful- if you have too well setup a truck your mates with fairly stock trucks won't want you to tag along (and show them up), and guys with well setup trucks won't want you to go either as not enough experience driving the tough stuff...

Sounds to me you're best to find a local club, join up and go on some trips. Get an idea of what you like, and go from there

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:27 pm

Dirtydog wrote:does have to have recovery points for 4x4ing doesnt it? and good brakes are a start.

firstly I think what you have done is in a positive direction. most would agree solid front is beter over ifs if you plan to moderately thrash your truck, so now you have a solid base to build the rest. so as far as I can see the haters are just being haters to jump on the band wagon that appears when a newby gets attacted, happens all the time... but on that note....
you have a habit of bringing it on yourself, what I mainly observe from you is you are constantly stating you don't get out much, haven't got out much, you are only just starting out, learning etc an example of which the post I have quoted above, yet you are not short on your opinions on what setups work best and what setups are shit, Nissan gear vs Toyota gear yada yada

maybe show us pages of you getting out in the bush in your truck first before too many more opinions on the things that generally comes from experiance

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:41 pm

At slide:

Hence why im getting some ridge ryder hooks, a fire extinguisher and going to sort out a cb aerial so i can join the trailblazers or landy club in gore.

As for my opinions i can agree, but i do my research and get most my info from people that have done it all before and base my opinion from that.

surely people will see as i get older and experience different things that my opinion will change lol.

Bit of an update, cleaned up the garage to get the terrano in there tommorow morning, got the day off work so hopefully the parts arrive in time.

But i do have a fall back plan if the parts dont arrive, still got the bighorn to use while i have the terrano off the road, which should be till the weekend latest.

One thing i definitely agree with, is this thread needs pics. better charge the camera.

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Postby Mehrts » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:56 pm

I reckon J_Dub nailed it on the head with what he said before.

A solid front axle is a good starting point for what ever else you will end up doing with it.

Even if it is nothing really special.

Just get out there and figure out what you like/don't like with your setup.
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:30 pm

Yip, your welcome to join the club...... You do need hooks. Thats why I say you need to get out and join a club or something as otherwise you'll have a 4WD that owes you alot of money and no place to go so then you'll sell it.

You will need some decent shoes (simex etc) or MT's and chains for our trips in the winter though.

hamboy
Hard Yaka

Postby hamboy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:01 pm

Looks mint bro, good base to get carried away :lol: . Next time you come to see your brother bring the 'rano and we will use it propely :mrgreen:

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:53 pm

hamboy wrote:Looks mint bro, good base to get carried away :lol: . Next time you come to see your brother bring the 'rano and we will use it propely :mrgreen:

if it wern't for the 12 hour drive i would be there more often trust me lol

planning a trip though, as it means i pass through christchurch and we know thats where all the good buggers are lol.

Right, well back to the matter at hand got some pictures finally, also found out why the brake pedal was spongy, rear brake caliper was bypassing and also letting air in..

Its christmas!!

Ordered fire extinguisher, 4 recovery hooks (two for terrano) and some tools i didnt have. next order for this sort of stuff will include a metal drop saw and some other goodies.

Started to drain the oil and made a mess, swaybar bushes are here, will do them tommorow.

Heres the pics:

once again everything is set up to be stock, as i wanted a strong setup via cheapest way possible.

Going to look at what i can do to modify sump to get it back up and out of the way, which should give me a fair bit more clearance for upwards travel.

also going to make up some spring keepers and sort out some longer shocks now that im earning more money, welder will be coming first however so it will be a little while yet.

passengerpete
Hard Yaka

Postby passengerpete » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:08 pm

how close are bumpstops to hitting ? from the pics looks like 25mm because that would hinder ya up travel. if you where to undo your front shocks and jack up the body, how far does diff drop before binding ?

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:15 pm

havnt jacked up the front and droped the diff yet, and yea the bumpstops are pretty close, but they do compress a fair bit before they stop, probably about 50mm before it stops.

Will get some measurements and find what length shock i need, wont be too much of a problem i dont think.

i know that it took us dropping the diff down quite a bit, then compressing the springs to get them in so i dont think there is any need to get longer springs lol.

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:09 pm

Dirtydog wrote:havnt jacked up the front and droped the diff yet, and yea the bumpstops are pretty close, but they do compress a fair bit before they stop, probably about 50mm before it stops.

Will get some measurements and find what length shock i need, wont be too much of a problem i dont think.

i know that it took us dropping the diff down quite a bit, then compressing the springs to get them in so i dont think there is any need to get longer springs lol.

Spring compresors to get bigger springs in...

The gap for bump stops looks to me like it will give you issues,

Get a snorkel and some muds on it and drive it then start getting into the bars and little things mate

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:04 am

Ahh finally passengerpete has chimed in... I was going to say neither him or kbjj, the two that have actually successfully SASd these rigs, had spoken yet. Its the wise ones that stay silent.
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:48 am

The only reason the bumpstops are that close is because of the sump.

and what i mean by trying to get the springs back in was we had the terrano jacked up as high as we can on blocks, followed by lowering the axle and jacking up one side, and it was still a major pain to get the springs back in.

now that it is on axle stands etc i will get some flex shots of the system to show yall how it works, definitly need longer shocks thats a no brainer and some muds, but welder comes first as i have a few things to get done like a trailer etc.

Going to try nail the expensive things on the head first, and then the small bits.

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:51 pm

Is the draglink bent to clear the diff? What's it made of?
Didn't barbie drive a jeep??

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:15 pm

Draglink is bent to get the joints in their working range.

Its made from factory safari draglink and end cut off with end tapped to take a terrano tierod so the taper was the same as the terrano pitman arm.

Little bit of an update picked up another caliper and taildoor for it, so that should be going in shortly.

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:21 am

What a complicated way to get springs in as i said use spring compresors then you can fit longer springs... Cause you compress them down for ease of fittjng....

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:54 am

Yea thats what we used but it was still a prick of a job even with the axle on the ground and the truck jacked up.

anyway going to get some articulation shots today with shocks removed, and measure up what length i need.

also going to remove the taildoor and replace with a better one that i picked up yesterday.

Return to “Nissan”