Nissan Terrano SAS feedback

Moderator: Mark

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Re: Nissan Terrano SAS feedback

Postby Dirtydog » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:44 pm

Got heaps done this weekend, got the fire extinguisher, tail door and swaybar bushes in, didnt take much at all but kept getting called away from it.

Also put in new brake pads all round, replaced brake fluid and gave it a good bleed which came to me replacing one of the rear calipers as it was leaking and letting air into the line.

Done a long overdue oil change, also looked at the sump and i think the 2wd sump will work very very well, i can see only a little bit of modification would be needed.

other thing i did was droped the front axle and got some measurements for shocks, aswell as some more pictures. the axle dropped as far as it can go and the springs are still captive. only thing stopping it is the washers on the radius arms that mount to the body.

anyway enough talk, more pics:

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:03 pm

is there any bits that i have missed that people would like to see?

still have to fix exhaust so will be up on a hoist soon

trucked
Hard Yaka

Postby trucked » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:00 pm

Dirtydog wrote:Image

Just a sugestion, find a metal bracket for the extinguisher and some decent bolts and bolt it to something metal and solid with washers.

They can be a deadly weapon in the likes of a crash flying around the cabin(not that anyone plans to crash, more just in case).

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Ive got a metal bracket for it but cant find anywhere for it that is out of the way like that location.

Any other location and it gets in the way of your legs when your sitting in the passenger seat, anywhere out of the foot well i can see someone wacking their arms or head on it if there is a crash.

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Postby Mehrts » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:45 pm

I mounted mine to the spot where the front bolts for the seats attach in my old hilux. Never caused any issues by getting in the way at all. Not sure how the terrano seats attach though.
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Mehrts wrote:I mounted mine to the spot where the front bolts for the seats attach in my old hilux. Never caused any issues by getting in the way at all. Not sure how the terrano seats attach though.

I have seen this a few times. Bolt a piece of flat steel across the front 2 seat bolts and mount extinguisher to that. You do not want it coming loose in a crash or roll over.

hamboy
Hard Yaka

Postby hamboy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:51 pm

I put mine on the center console lid and beefed up the hinges and latch. Your one will get the crap kicked out of it there, trust me :lol: . The other place is on the passenger side dash

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:31 pm

I wonder if a gq patrol pitman arm would fit onto the d21 steering box?
If the draglink angle is severe enough to warrant bending the draglink to compensate, I'd be looking for a way to fit the ball joint on the bottom of the pitman arm.
If you cant find a bolt on one, nother option may be get the D21 arm reemed out from the bottom and a collar turned up and pressed in to suit the ball joint.. By dropping the drag link the panhard rod would need to be dropped the same amount.
Just my 2c on how I'd do it :wink: but I dont see the modded trol drag link lasting very long with a bend in it. Anything directly above it may get hit an damaged aswell if it does bend
Didn't barbie drive a jeep??

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:44 am

Whats your castor angle like. Looks like its well out in this pic? :?

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:45 am

Fakey wrote:I wonder if a gq patrol pitman arm would fit onto the d21 steering box?
If the draglink angle is severe enough to warrant bending the draglink to compensate, I'd be looking for a way to fit the ball joint on the bottom of the pitman arm.
If you cant find a bolt on one, nother option may be get the D21 arm reemed out from the bottom and a collar turned up and pressed in to suit the ball joint.. By dropping the drag link the panhard rod would need to be dropped the same amount.
Just my 2c on how I'd do it :wink: but I dont see the modded trol drag link lasting very long with a bend in it. Anything directly above it may get hit an damaged aswell if it does bend

x2. I don't think you'll get cert with a bent draglink either sorry.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:55 am

i here ya,

ill have to look into it but it sounds like aot of work for an in case it happens.

If i get it looked into i will get the radius arms sorted out aswell to alow more flex, maybe instead of a pin, having an eye would allow some more articulation?

I might grab some flat steel and mount it in front of the seat, i think its really the only place that will work without getting in the way.

Dont like the idea of putting it on the dash that could be quite messy in a crash.

As for the castor angle i will have to have another look but at ride height its pretty close to being neutral.

In terms of bent draglink the certifier has allready looked over the vehicle, and nothing came up about it, there was a couple of things like handbrake holders needed dropping etc but nothing serious.

EDIT: Had a looksy at the castor angle and its slightly negative, so i may be getting some castor correction bushes soon.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:18 pm

Another update,

all it needs for warrant check is exhaust and certified, so thats all that needs doing for now.

as for the next parts it looks like it may be r+p in 4.6 and a swivel hub rebuild kit, as found milky oil in front diff when i was checking all my fluids.

no 4x4ing for a while yet me thinks untill the hubs arent letting water in :cry:

good news is that its only going to cost 900 for rebuild kit and r+p incl shipping :D , havnt found any cheaper yet and thats from aussie. might look at some other bits and peices while im there...

Welder is first though so i can make my trailer and look at selling it or something.

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:13 pm

I haven't looked into it yet but $900 r&p sounds a bit steep. (Even including a rebuild kit). Have you looked at getting something out of the states? Freight in/from Aussie can be horrendous. As I say, haven't looked into it yet and your price may turn out to be good.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:42 pm

Hard to find patrol parts in the US.

So far its the cheapest i have found,

900 bucks for the R+P from 4wd bits alone, i may end up getting another one for spares/sale.

nismo26
Hard Yaka

Postby nismo26 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:17 pm

Dirtydog wrote:Another update,

as for the next parts it looks like it may be r+p in 4.6 and a swivel hub rebuild kit, as found milky oil in front diff when i was checking all my fluids.

no 4x4ing for a while yet me thinks untill the hubs arent letting water in :cry:

good news is that its only going to cost 900 for rebuild kit and r+p incl shipping :D , havnt found any cheaper yet and thats from aussie. might look at some other bits and peices while im there...

Welder is first though so i can make my trailer and look at selling it or something.

http://www.justdifferentials.com/index. ... word=h233b might be cheaper from oz depending on the dollar, you can get them from Don Kyatt in Auckland for around $700

Pull the hubs off and seal them up then go 4wding not a big job

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:55 pm

Have you looked at locktup4x4.com.au the stock those gears for patrols. Shipping is free within oz not sure on freight to NZ tho. Rugged rocks offroad in the states also list the same nitro gears for patrols.
Didn't barbie drive a jeep??

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:05 pm

Cheers fakey looks like rugged rocks is the place ill get them from, postage is going to be about on par with cost of shipping but the price difference is worth it, not to mention the fact they do 5:1 gears etc.... might be an option.

In terms of the seal kit i dont know what all the other seals are like, so id rather just replace them all in one go.

4by4
Driver/Navigator

Postby 4by4 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:24 pm

Dirtydog wrote:Please give feedback, i would really like to hear what people think.

Word is this thing is driving around with no wof, reg or cert... Not sayn that's a fact, but certainly hope not. Be a bad look if true

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:20 pm

Its been in for a warrant and it has diesel ks, its not like i am intentionally not getting it legal.

But its kinda hard to drive to work with no car.

all that it needs to get cert now is the exhaust fixed, but have to wait till my mates not busy so it can be done.

i would take it elsewhere but hes just up the road from work.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:25 am

passed cert yesterday, just have to wait for plate to turn up and shell be back in for warrant.

after i have my welder im going to get the 4.6 or 4.88 ratio diffs and an lsd for the front, get them all setup and ready to just chuck up on the hoist and bolt them in.

at this stage it will probably be 4.6's just for ease of finding a rear lsd for the terrano axle that will just bolt in, front diff will take a little bit to sort out though.

passengerpete
Hard Yaka

Postby passengerpete » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:36 am

congratulations. ya got there in the end :D . no doubt there will be some small teething problems once ya start driving around abit.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:38 am

only gripe for now is the gearing lol but yeah, im expecting there will be things i want to change later, but for now im stoked as :D

Return to “Nissan”