Nissan Terrano SAS feedback

Moderator: Mark

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Nissan Terrano SAS feedback

Postby Dirtydog » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:13 pm

Ohk guys getting anoid with all this cluttering up other threads whenever i post a pic of my truck, so heres a thread for all who feel like it to pick it apart and tell me just how bad it really is.

First off,

some specs:

Td27t with Subaru water to air intercooler
Terrano auto gearbox, with safari transfer case adapted to back
Terrano h233 rear end, with LSD, Safari SWB Springs
Safari front diff, standard in all respects, apart from spring mounts moved in
Running 33x12.5 tyres, on 15x8, -19 steel rims (yes one is black)
2 inch bodylift, and about 3 inch of suspension lift in suspension setup

Diff has been brought foward, wheelbase now measures 104", ideal is aprently 100" but wanted it moved foward so there was more room for large tyres, and to clear sump.

Stock:

Axle going in:

Now:

Please give feedback, i would really like to hear what people think.

The WEHI
Hard Yaka

Re: Nissan Terrano SAS feedback

Postby The WEHI » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:35 pm

Well done man who gives two sh*ts about haters they willallways be there good on yah for doing it yaself man props
The_wehi@hotmail.com
(027 788 1046)
pzj70,35's,Lockers,Winch and some stickers for added flex.
^^Soon to be on safari axles and 5.13's, 37's linked front and rear^^
Ln60 project (money pit) <-- Sold
Pzj77 Turbo/auto,33's .

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:58 pm

Looks good mate. Should be a sweet truck.
Dirtydog wrote:Terrano h233 rear end, with LSD, Safari SWB Springs

excuse my ignorance of Nissan things, but is it a Safari rear axle or a Terrano?
If it's Terrano, is there much of a track difference between the front (Safari) and rear axle? Just curious.
As far as the " ideal 100" " wheelbase, that depends on heaps of things, not least of all, personal preference. A shorty GQ is 96" and everyone seems to think thats a bit short, but when they stretch them the usually add 8" or 10", making closer to your 104". My shorty'lux was 104 and I liked it. My next truck will be longer.
I reckon you have built a pretty useful and capable truck. Nice one.

Arron.

P.S, why not posted in "projects/mods"? Are you not planning on providing more pics for the junkies?

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:39 pm

There is a thread about it, search terrano SAS.

I didnt do any of the engineering work, Certified engineer done that for me, but i did help with a few things.

As for the rear axle it is a terrano one, with a safari carrier, and terrano lsd center. (A to get 4.11 gears, B to get the right driveshaft flange)

There is a difference of 100mm, but you cant tell from looking and i will be getting it certified with spacers on it for the option later on.

Really this thread is because im getting fed up of people commenting on the truck, and how bad etc etc etc it is whenever i post a picture.

Its good to hear something good for a change.

also forklift will be on the agenda soon, lets see how Standard safari shocks and spings Flex
Last edited by Dirtydog on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nismo26
Hard Yaka

Postby nismo26 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:34 pm

You have gone to the effort of putting a new suspension/axle set up, but have added a factory set up that doesn't work that well.

You could have improved it while it was in bits like using a flex arm or something like the new longer arms that have just come out in Aussie or 3/4 or 5 link the front and do away with the radius arms all together.

Also looking at the photos in the build thread it looks like it would be hard to lift the front up now with the way the radius arms are mounted, did you have the ride height sorted before hand? Can't just bolt drop boxes on to correct the caster.

Always heaps to learn when doing this sort of stuff.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:59 pm

I dont want to lift it any higher, any higher and it will just be too top heavy.

Sorted the final ride height etc before anything was final, didnt want to do anything to hardcore as it is going to be my daily driver, i may get sort something out later, like some super flex arms etc.

at the moment however im focussed on driving it around, and getting some seat time in it before i change anything else apart from tyres.

I havnt had much time in it doing 4x4ing, as it is now i cannot see me breaking anything which was the goal, only real complaint i have, is that it has taken so long for me to get it on the road (not being able to find a job was a major part)

nismo26
Hard Yaka

Postby nismo26 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:17 pm

Dirtydog wrote:I dont want to lift it any higher, any higher and it will just be too top heavy.

Sorted the final ride height etc before anything was final, didnt want to do anything to hardcore as it is going to be my daily driver, i may get sort something out later, like some super flex arms etc.

at the moment however im focussed on driving it around, and getting some seat time in it before i change anything else apart from tyres.

I havnt had much time in it doing 4x4ing, as it is now i cannot see me breaking anything which was the goal, only real complaint i have, is that it has taken so long for me to get it on the road (not being able to find a job was a major part)

How much higher is it over factory?

Guess it comes down to what you want it for as you drive it more you find there will be more stuff you want to do to it, then the easy stuff get boring and you want to try harder tracks, I don't think it ever ends.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:46 pm

Yep theyre just like girlfriends :lol:

Theres about 3 inches of suspension, and 2 inches of body, including the extra 2 inches from 33's (std are 29's) or 3 from 35's its about 7-8"

I forgot to mention i will be making quick release swaybar links, and some spring keepers so i can get full flex out of the rear.

also in my opinion isnt it better when driving to have less front flex than the back?

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:02 pm

If it all works and has been properly engineered, IMO Its much better off than when you started - a coil sprung bus diff is a lot better than an IFS Subaru R180 diff. Even if wheel travel becomes an issue, throw a Lockrite in the front and it will go like a bulldozer.

If you get a chance, Keen to see more closeup photos of the fab work - , spring towers, steering setup etc
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:22 pm

Dont want anyone to think oh thats easy and try it at home, id rather not post pics, it was all done by a certified engineer, so dont want that on my hands.

Spring towers are just cut off safari chassis, and welded to bare terrano chassis, passengerpete cut the safari chassis up, made a C section as such and welded it to chassis.

the radius arm mounts are cut from safari chassis, with a peice of thick plate welded over for strength and to tie it all in.

Cross member has been modified to incorperate safari transfer case, and drive shaft to be run on other side of engine, which is bloody handy because i can now run a 90* off turbo, followed by a 90*, then straight 3 inch pipe from there to back diff, no tricky bends to worry about.

and yea, air locker is definitely on the cards, maybe even before i get new tyres.

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:43 pm

Have you got any details an pics of how the safari transfer is adapted to the terrano trans?

From what I have seen it was never intended to be a ramp queen, more a reliable daily/play truck, an that seems to be pretty much what youve achieved.

Dont worry about putting pics up an people thinking they can do it. All they have to do is a quick search an they'll find threads like my BJ74 coiled cruiser with more pics of how I did it than you can poke a stick at.
We all love pics, And to be honest its not that hard at all if you know your way around a grinder and a welder
Didn't barbie drive a jeep??

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:43 am

Ill ask Him what his view is on it before i go posting pics.

not really adapted as such, if you cut 40mm off the output shaft the transfer bolts to the back and uses factory wiper seals, didnt like the idea of cutting the full 40mm, so went with 20mm spacer mad from aluminium plate, and 20mm off. the cavity has to then be filled with transfluid (isnt much of one depending on how you make spacer)
Last edited by Dirtydog on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:42 am

Fakey wrote:Dont worry about putting pics up an people thinking they can do it.
We all love pics, And to be honest its not that hard at all if you know your way around a grinder and a welder

For sure, I'm just interested to see things like panhard location, trans crossmember etc because down the track, it seems potentially a better solution than cutting and flipping a diff, which has been really the only option on these vehicles.

The engineer shouldn't have any objection to pics, unless he has something to hide...which he wouldn't, because he's an engineer, right??

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:07 pm

He just doesnt want people going and doing it themeselves with no qualifications etc getting hurt/harming others and it coming back to him.

Ill grab some photo's for ya's but not putting up measurements etc, that would make it too easy.

With this setup i think the major limiting factor for flex was actually the sump, because the bumpstops had to be extended 2 inches to stop things contacting eachother.

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:02 pm

Dirtydog wrote:He just doesnt want people going and doing it themeselves with no qualifications etc getting hurt/harming others and it coming back to him.

Ill grab some photo's for ya's but not putting up measurements etc, that would make it too easy.

With this setup i think the major limiting factor for flex was actually the sump, because the bumpstops had to be extended 2 inches to stop things contacting eachother.

Cant give feed back with out seeing the quality of work and how well it flexs and drives etc, someone might pick something up in a photo that may give you furture issues...

One question... Why disnt you put safari rear diff in to make it all the same width?

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:14 pm

KIWI_TERRANO wrote:
Dirtydog wrote:He just doesnt want people going and doing it themeselves with no qualifications etc getting hurt/harming others and it coming back to him.

Cant give feed back with out seeing the quality of work and how well it flexs and drives etc, someone might pick something up in a photo that may give you furture issues...

One question... Why disnt you put safari rear diff in to make it all the same width?

Im suprised that didnt come up earlier.

That was what i wanted to do, would have been very simple, and costed the same as what i got in the end.

The whole problem came down to the handbrake.

Aparently when it comes to cert your aloud to go from cardinal shaft to disc/drums, but not the other way round.

Arguement was that card shaft handbrake lock up one wheel on rear, compared to 2 wheels with disc/drum setup.

Now that i have done alot of reserch etc i should have, but i also had the problem of gearing, im now 4.11, easy to upgrade to 4.6, just need front crown wheel and pinion, whereas with if i went safari rear its an expensive upgrade.

Also track width in my opinion isnt such a bad thing, i get the best of both worlds being that if the rear is stuck in a rut, the front will be one wheel in one wheel out. the problem is that it will be flexed when doing so.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:31 pm

Dirtydog wrote:

Why don't you lift the engine 2 inches to suit your bodylift?

And your rut wheel track theory doesn't work..... Only applies with zuki's.... You'll be in the ruts but instead of being straight it'll be kack.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:23 am

A leaf sprug GU ute is 100mm narrower in the back from factory, so it cant be too bad I guess.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:22 am

pleeeease
ps sumps can be modified easily
Attachments
yoda.jpg
yoda.jpg (31.71 KiB) Viewed 5734 times

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:58 pm

Havnt had a chance to get under it and take photo's, it will be up on the hoist for cert in the next two weeks however.

I may have some longer shocks for it, as i can get another 100mm travel in the front from the springs, while still being captive.

Good news is intercooler works bloody well, when for a tikitour around the river today, going through some ruts and giving her what she loves, usually she would start getting hot after about 10-15mins, now she sits just above the cold mark, so it has definitly improved the performance in that sence.

Went in for warrant today, need to do front and rear brake pads, disable roof lights, get replace some bulbs, and exhaust is leaking.

so here comes 3" exhaust soon, just need to find a cheap muffler, and some thicker stuff for dump pipe. wont take long to do, i have everything here to do it, will get some flanges and do it in easy sections.

only major problem is the master cylinder is leaking......

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:27 pm

If your roof lights are independently switched from the lighting circuit, they can be classed as "working lights" and these lights do not come under a WOF, just like spot lights etc on work vehicles. I had this same issue with my roof lighting until I found the lighting section in the WOF rules.
Working lights are designed to light forward, side and reverse of a vehicle etc etc.
Ok people, move along. Nothing to see here. Thank you, move along.
Ph 0212078472

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:45 pm

He said if i disable them hell pass them, so god know what hes on about.

Ill pull the neg out and hat should be fine.

Alos starting to think i might just need to re bleed the brakes, that will hopefully sort the problem out.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:20 pm

My old mans 2008 Land Cruiser Troopy is 100mm wider in track width on the front axle from factory.

Obviously not a big deal if modern Toyota's are coming from factory like that :D :D
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:40 pm

DieselBoy wrote:My old mans 2008 Land Cruiser Troopy is 100mm wider in track width on the front axle from factory.

Obviously not a big deal if modern Toyota's are coming from factory like that :D :D

Maybe its the way foward :?: :?: :?:

keithal
Hard Yaka

Postby keithal » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:42 pm

Dirtydog wrote:
DieselBoy wrote:My old mans 2008 Land Cruiser Troopy is 100mm wider in track width on the front axle from factory.

Maybe its the way foward :?: :?: :?:

or toyota are just skimping on buying the extra metal :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:43 pm

that could be it lol.

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:44 pm

Well then Nissan are skimping as well. And that the two bestest brands in the whole wide 4wd world. So it MUST be the way forward. (Damn, guna have to narrow my rear axle now...)

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:17 pm

interesting
would have to be something to do with turning circle or on road handling, cornering etc

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:38 pm

Not on the Troopy, its like they just borrowed and grafted the new v8 front end, engine, guards, bonnet, axle and all onto the old 6cyl platform :lol: :lol:
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:03 pm

I think the narrower rear axle on the leaf Gu's and the v8 cruisers is more of a weight carrying thing than anything. Nissan and toyota didn't exactly have offroad performance in mind when they were designing them.
Didn't barbie drive a jeep??

Return to “Nissan”