06 STX Navara vibration

Moderator: Mark

Huffa
Driver/Navigator

06 STX Navara vibration

Postby Huffa » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:10 pm

Just got an 06 STX Navara. Goes well but has a bad vibration go thru it from about 80km/hr onwards. I have had the wheels balanced and they were out quite a lot but that hasnt made any difference. Had the driveshaft removed and universals checked by mechanic and they appeared fine. It recently (10,000kms ago)had 4 grand spent rebuilding the rear diff so I guess that should be fine. Where should I look from here? Driveshaft balance and straightness? Tyres out of round? They are Maxis bighorns 265/70/17, bout half worn or so.Any ideas much appreciated.

nizute
Hard Yaka

Re: 06 STX Navara vibration

Postby nizute » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:17 am

Did the vibration start when you got it back from the diff job??I would get the driveshaft balanced as we have had two of our customers already have to get it done.

QUADRACER
Hard Yaka

Postby QUADRACER » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:19 am

Could be dual mass clutch issue, common on these.
retired 4wd to a ford ranger and UTV

Huffa
Driver/Navigator

Postby Huffa » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:49 am

I dont know if it started straight after the diff rebuild as the previous owner had that done. I only just got the ute 2 days ago. I made the fatal mistake of not driving it on the open road before I brought it. Drove it around town and it all seemed good, the guy said it had a slight shake that was a wheel out of balance. He had had the front wheels balanced, said they were way out and maintained that he ran out of time to get the back done. I took his word, but once I felt the vibration I knew it would be more than that and I think he knew too. Guess I will get the drive shaft checked now, dual mas clutch issue sounds serious. Might have to do the engine conversion sooner than I thought.

Trundle
Hard Yaka

Postby Trundle » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:02 am

have you checked the front wheel bearings and ball joints? the noise travels to weird places in the d40s and they are very common to chew them out , ,
I have done a tonne of rear uj joints in the alloy driveshafts , may pay to check they didnt bend it in the vice when checking it ,

Huffa
Driver/Navigator

Postby Huffa » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:06 am

Yes had it mechanics yesterday and he jacked up the front and was checking the wheel bearings,not sure if he looked at ball joints.

Huffa
Driver/Navigator

Postby Huffa » Sat May 10, 2014 10:25 pm

Got it sorted, turned out it was a uj on the front drive shaft. All good now.

Return to “Nissan”